[comp.editors] trouble with ^V using ncsa

s887212@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Stephen Riehm [Romulis]) (11/13/90)

I have been using control characters in files for years now.. and they
havn't posed any problems so far, however, recently we installed some new
PC's which are using NCSA telnet to connect to the unix boxes. The problem
is that when using these terminals the ^V^M sequence results in a REAL ^M.
The only way I can find arround this is by yanking a ^M from an existing
file.

has anyone else encountered this problem and if so how can it be fixed?

thanx in advance
Romulis [Stephen Riehm]	            Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology,
					       (124 Latrobe St., Melbourne.)
s887212@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au					   Australia.

@>---`--,--( Still Stuck on the wrong side of the deep pink sea )--.--'---<@
======================< Insert Usual Disclaimer >===========================

richard@mqcomp.mqcc.mq.OZ (Richard Miller) (11/20/90)

In article <6234@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au> s887212@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Stephen Riehm [Romulis]) writes:
>I have been using control characters in files for years now.. and they
>havn't posed any problems so far, however, recently we installed some new
>PC's which are using NCSA telnet to connect to the unix boxes. The problem
>is that when using these terminals the ^V^M sequence results in a REAL ^M.
>The only way I can find arround this is by yanking a ^M from an existing
>file.
>
>has anyone else encountered this problem and if so how can it be fixed?

I'd kinda noticed  this as well, and the problem seemed to go away
when I set

    crmap=4.3BSDCRNULL

inside the config.tel file.

Richard
| School Math, Physics, Elec and Computing, Macquarie University SYDNEY AUST.|
|  Email: richard@mqcomp.mqcs.mq.oz.au ,Ph:+61 2 8058374, Fax:+61 2 8058983  |