[comp.editors] vi mastery

You all know the "UNIX Hierarchy" posted now and then?  I've been
working on the vi parts, and have come up with these:

1   beginner		- has yet to learn the basics of vi
			- still looking for wordstar
			- has to go for help to get out of vi

2   novice		- knows how to exit vi
			- hasn't figured out how to make substitutions
			- tries to enter text while in edit mode

3   user		- uses vi for simple jobs, but sub-optimally
			- has heard of regular-expressions but never seen one.
			- wonders why people like this damn thing so much

4   knowledgeable user  - is beginning to use regexps in substitutions
			- uses :e and :n to switch files

5   expert		- uses simple macros in vi
			- uses tags to navigate large programs

6   hacker		- uses undocumented features of vi
			- invokes vi with startup commands "vi +xyzzy file"

7   guru		- uses macros that generate and execute their own code
			- has as many vi macros as shell aliases

8   wizard		- has turned vi into a syntax-directed editor
           		- emulates emacs in vi

9   demigod		- wrote or made major modifications to vi

Anybody else got other candidates?

--tom
--
Tom Christiansen		tchrist@convex.com	convex!tchrist
"With a kernel dive, all things are possible, but it sure makes it hard

kapil@zarquon.uchicago.edu (Kapil Paranjape) (12/18/90)

How about the following addition to hacker:
		-spends more time writing macros than files.

Some off the beaten track defns:
	beezlebub/devil/demon
		-was a wizard with vi
		-has switched to emacs

dak@hparc0.HP.COM (Dave Kruger) (12/18/90)

> You all know the "UNIX Hierarchy" posted now and then?  I've been
> working on the vi parts, and have come up with these:

> 1     beginner	- has yet to learn the basics of vi

Entries 2 to 8 deleted.

> 9     demigod		- wrote or made major modifications to vi

> Anybody else got other candidates?

10      god		- has woken up to himself/herself, given vi away, and
		  	  progressed to emacs.

:-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-)

The above was reverently entered with vi.

Dave K.

schwartz@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Dwight Schwartz) (12/18/90)

In article <111542@convex.convex.com> tchrist@convex.COM (Tom Christiansen) writes:

>You all know the "UNIX Hierarchy" posted now and then?  I've been
>working on the vi parts, and have come up with these:
>
>1   beginner		- has yet to learn the basics of vi . . .
>2   novice		- knows how to exit vi . . .
>3   user		- uses vi for simple jobs, but sub-optimally . . .
>4   knowledgeable user  - is beginning to use regexps in substitutions . . .
>5   expert		- uses simple macros in vi . . .
>6   hacker		- uses undocumented features of vi . . .
>7   guru		- uses macros that generate and execute their own code . . .
>8   wizard		- has turned vi into a syntax-directed editor  . . .
>9   demigod		- wrote or made major modifications to vi  . . .
>
>Anybody else got other candidates?

Here's one last candidate which seems to follow from the collection above.

10   Tom                 - knows enough about unix and vi to create a logical
                           hierarchy of vi users

p.s. I think I qualify as a "knowlegeable user," since the most I know how to
do was use a regular expression to substitute ". . ." at the end of the first
nine categories above.

					Dwight

University of Illinois Department of Chemistry | 402 E. Michigan, Apt. 3
Box 10-1 Noyes Laboratory                      | Urbana, IL   61801
505 S. Mathews Ave.                            | 217-328-4823
Urbana, IL   61801   USA                       |
    333-3004                      |Earth's crammed with Heaven,
internet: schwartz@b.scs.uiuc.edu |And Every common bush afire with God;
bitnet:   schwartz@uiucscs        |But only he who sees takes off his shoes.