[comp.editors] Rehash Needed Re: calling spell checker from within VI

billd@infmx.informix.com (William Daul) (12/15/90)

Could someone send me the essence of the discussion a few weeks ago
regarding calling a spell checker program from within VI?  Also,
does anyone have (or know where to get) the documentation for the
public domain ISPELL program?

Thanks,  --Bi((
[408-926-6488]

From the keyboard of billd@infmx.informix.com (William Daul):
:Could someone send me the essence of the discussion a few weeks ago
:regarding calling a spell checker program from within VI?

Well, I can't give you its essence, as my newsrc was mutilated
and I wasn't reading the group at the time because of this,
but here's what I use:

    map ^V^I  \
    "       so can use both TAB and \ for meta-key

    map \s :w^Mgo^V^[:$r!spell %^M
    "       spell the file, placing errors at bottom, use \n and n
    "       to find next occurrences

    map \/ dePo/\<^V^[pA\>^V^["wdd@w
    "       find current word, uses w buffer

    map \n Gdd\/
    "       for find next spelling error

Be careful of that last one, of course.  This is really
quite quick.  I often make a temporary map like this:

    map = \n

to make it easier to type while running down the list.

Oh, the Meta-/ macro isn't 100% right always, but I haven't
taken the time to fix it.  You may see what I mean.  Still,
I use it a lot, although not on read-only files, alas.

The truth is I don't use Meta-s much anymore because I've
got news and notes and MH all rigged up to pop me into ispell
when I'm done editing a posting of some sort.

--tom
--
Tom Christiansen		tchrist@convex.com	convex!tchrist
"With a kernel dive, all things are possible, but it sure makes it hard

s887212@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Stephen Riehm [Romulis]) (12/19/90)

tchrist@convex.COM (Tom Christiansen) writes:

>From the keyboard of billd@infmx.informix.com (William Daul):
>:Could someone send me the essence of the discussion a few weeks ago
>:regarding calling a spell checker program from within VI?

[ lotsa stuff deleted ]

>The truth is I don't use Meta-s much anymore because I've
>got news and notes and MH all rigged up to pop me into ispell
>when I'm done editing a posting of some sort.

now thats more like it.. if you have ispell a simple macro looks something
like...

:map <insert favorite key here> :w!^M:!ispell %^M:e!^M^M

and if you don't have ispell.. tell your favorite Sysop to get it for you
:-)  it really leaves poor ol' spell for dead.

Romulis [Stephen Riehm]	         Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology,
					    (124 Latrobe St., Melbourne.)
s887212@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au				       Australia.

The opinions expressed here must be mine as I don't have an employer :-(
Any kind soul believing that they may be able to help me with this
slightly embarrassing problem please send email to..........
s887212@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au for full resume and application.
Will re-locate if I can afford the transport!!