[comp.editors] Comments in .exrc file ?

cadman@cbnewsm.att.com (jerome.schwartz) (02/01/91)

Is there a way to comment out set commands in the .exrc file with
out getting an error message when entering vi?

I like to hold on to some but don't always need all of them.

Jerry
Jerome Schwartz               | Standard Disclaimer:
AT&T Bell Laboratories        |
600 Mountain Ave.             | Views expressed are my own and
Murray Hill, N.J.  07974-2070 | do not necessarily reflect those
Phone  : (201)-582-3070       | of my employer.

From the keyboard of cadman@cbnewsm.att.com (jerome.schwartz):
:Is there a way to comment out set commands in the .exrc file with
:out getting an error message when entering vi?

From the top of my .exrc; I suspect you'll be able to intuit the answer:

"       common exrc source
"
"
set terse
"       because we prefer terse error messages,
set writeany autowrite
"       because we want to write out our file whenever we can,
"       like on a :tag, :stop, or :next
set tabstop=8
"       so tabs look right for us
set shiftwidth=4
"       so ^T and << are smaller
set report=1
"       so we our told whenever we affect more than 1 line
"set nomesg
"       because being talked to during an edit is aggravating
set autoindent
"       so i don't have to tab in
set redraw optimize
"       keep the screen tidy

--tom
--
"Hey, did you hear Stallman has replaced /vmunix with /vmunix.el?  Now
 he can finally have the whole O/S built-in to his editor like he

mullins@convex.COM (Don Mullins) (02/01/91)

In article <1991Jan31.191624.10149@cbnewsm.att.com> cadman@cbnewsm.att.com (jerome.schwartz) writes:
>Is there a way to comment out set commands in the .exrc file with
>out getting an error message when entering vi?
>
>I like to hold on to some but don't always need all of them.
>
>Jerry

    vi considers all lines beginning with a  double quote '"' a comment.  Not
    sure about doing this at the end of a line

" this would be a comment
set noai			" I'm not sure about this

Later,
Don

--
Don Mullins          Convex Computer Corporation          Richardson, Texas USA
INTERNET -- mullins@convex.COM