[comp.editors] User-Friendly editor?

ttran@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Terry Tran) (01/31/91)

Please HELP...

	I'm new to this group, but I have a feeling that these questions have
been asked before...  Does any body know if there is a simple, user-
friendly UNIX editor for computer-illiterated users?  If there is (are)
such editor(s), where and how I can get it (them)?  Or will someone be
kind enough to send it (them) to me?  BTW, I'm not using Sun workstation.

Thanks a million...
--

Terry Tran
terryt@ame1.convergent.com

joshi@cs.uiuc.edu (Anil Joshi) (02/02/91)

ttran@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Terry Tran) writes:

>Please HELP...

>friendly UNIX editor for computer-illiterated users?  If there is (are)

Change the Operating System. Otherwise you are going to get suggestions like
"Fire your secretary."
"Goto He**."
"Learn awk, sed, ex, ed, ...................... after learning vi."

>such editor(s), where and how I can get it (them)?  Or will someone be
>kind enough to send it (them) to me?  BTW, I'm not using Sun workstation.

You are out of luck again. vi is bad and emacs requires tons of resources.

>Thanks a million...
>--
You are welcome.

>Terry Tran
>terryt@ame1.convergent.com
Anil
--
"Whatever we wish ourselves to be, we have the power to make ourselves.  If what
we are now has been the result of our own past actions,then it certainly follows

fin@norge.unet.umn.edu (Craig A. Finseth) (02/02/91)

In article <1991Feb1.175448.18394@cs.uiuc.edu> joshi@cs.uiuc.edu (Anil Joshi) writes:

>>friendly UNIX editor for computer-illiterated users?  If there is (are)
>You are out of luck again. vi is bad and emacs requires tons of resources.
					 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

First, this is true of some -- but not all -- implementations.
Second, the word processor that these same "computer--illiterated
users" use on an IBM PC or Macintosh requires as much or more
resources as the largest Emacs.  Third, nowhere was it said that use
of resources was in any way a limit.  It is quite likely, after all,
they are using a workstation.  It may even have its own fairly large
disk.

Craig A. Finseth			fin@unet.umn.edu [CAF13]
University Networking Services		+1 612 624 3375 desk
University of Minnesota			+1 612 625 0006 problems
130 Lind Hall, 207 Church St SE		+1 612 626 1002 FAX
Minneapolis MN 55455-0134, U.S.A.