[comp.editors] VI for VMS

jsivier@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Jonathon Sivier ) (02/15/91)

    Along the same lines as the person looking for EDT for Unix, I would like to
find a full featured VI for VMS.  I have a version of Stevie, but it doesn't
have named buffers or macros and doesn't handle scrolling on a VMS system
properly so if you move the cursor up or down off the screen it redraws the
entire screen and so scrolling is incredibly slow.  Does anyone know of a good
version of VI which will work with VMS (DECWindows) and where might I be able to
find it?

Thanks

Jonathan

|  Jonathan Sivier               |  Ballo ergo sum.               |
|  jsivier@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu      |  (I dance therefore I am.)     |
|  Flight Simulation Lab         |	        - des Cartwright  |
|  Beckman Institute             |                                |
|  405 N. Mathews                |                                |
|  Urbana, IL  61801             |                                |

Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM (02/15/91)

Jon>     Along the same lines as the person looking for EDT for Unix,
Jon> I would like to find a full featured VI for VMS.

Surprise: GNU Emacs runs on VMS (newsgroup: gnu.emacs.vms) and has two
vi emulations! as you might have read in my previous posting.  Here's
the front page of the VIP emulation info tree:
File: vip  Node: Top, Up: (DIR), Next: Survey

VIP
***

VIP is a Vi emulating package written in Emacs Lisp.  VIP implements most
Vi commands including Ex commands.  It is therefore hoped that this package
will enable you to do Vi style editing under the powerful GNU Emacs
environment.  This info file describes the usage of VIP assuming that you
are fairly accustomed to Vi but not so much with Emacs.  Also we will
concentrate mainly on differences from Vi, especially features unique to
VIP.

It is recommended that you read nodes on survey and on customization before
you start using VIP.  Other nodes may be visited as needed.

Comments and bug reports are welcome.  Please send messages to
`ms@Sail.Stanford.Edu' if you are outside of Japan and to
`masahiko@sato.riec.tohoku.junet' if you are in Japan.

* Menu:

* Survey::		A survey of VIP.
* Vi Commands::		Details of Vi commands.
* Ex Commands::		Details of Ex commands.
* Customization::	How to customize VIP.

--
Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM  Naperville IL USA  +1 708-979-6364

markh@squirrel.LABS.TEK.COM (Mark C. Henderson) (02/17/91)

In article <1991Feb14.193351.17652@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jsivier@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Jonathon Sivier ) writes:

>    Along the same lines as the person looking for EDT for Unix, I would like to
>find a full featured VI for VMS.  I have a version of Stevie, but it doesn't
>
>Thanks
>Jonathan
There are few possibilities that I know of:

1. Such a thing is contained in the 4.3 BSD RENO source. This would give
you a port of the original VI code. I don't even want to contemplate what
it would take in terms of licencing to be able to do this.

2. Greg Wonderly has written an excellent VI for VMS in TPU. In fact, if
you use this too much, you'll probably want it on Unix too, instead of the
original VI. It provides extensions among which the most significant are
multiple windows and buffers. The ex ':' commands are supported. The only
difference I have noticed between real vi and this (other than extensions)
is that
:.co.
won't work.
You can get this from ymir.claremont.edu, for example.

3. Use GNU Emacs with VIP mode.  The VI emulation is not as good as one in 2
above (and also the integration with the ability to do multiple buffers,
windows &c. is not as good). Also you need a large chunk of disk space to
install it. Unless you intend to convert to Emacs, I'd stick with 2.
You can get this from any GNU archive site. It is included in GNU Emacs.

Mark
--
       Mark C. Henderson, Computer Research Laboratory, Tektronix, Inc.
             MS 50-662, P.O. Box 500, Beaverton, OR 97077, U.S.A.

terry@unx2.ucc.okstate.edu (Terry J. Klarich) (02/20/91)

We have a vi for vms.  It can be found on vms.ucc.okstate.edu.  It was written
in vms tpu.

Terry Klarich (terry@unx2.ucc.okstate.edu) n5hts