[comp.editors] switch vi modes in mapping

tporczyk@na.excelan.com (Tony Porczyk) (02/13/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 1991 23:52:24 GMT

Quick question for vi users. When I map my F1 function keys in .exrc:

map	^[OP :!clear;more .helpfile^M

it works fine as long as I am in command mode. I would like to make
it mode independent and be able to invoke it regardless of mode,
however, placing Esc at the beggining doesn't help:

map	^[OP ^[:!clear;more .helpfile^M

Is there any way to make vi switch to command mode this way?
If I could make multiple switches like that in one mapping, I could
do wonders with that stuff (make it behave almost like my DOS editor :)

Thanks,

Tony

s887212@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Stephen Riehm [Romulis]) (02/24/91)

tporczyk@na.excelan.com (Tony Porczyk) writes:

>The News Manager)
>Date: Tue, 12 Feb 1991 23:52:24 GMT

>Quick question for vi users. When I map my F1 function keys in .exrc:
>map	^[OP :!clear;more .helpfile^M

>map	^[OP ^[:!clear;more .helpfile^M
this is fine but for one thing..... there are two kinds of :map's
:map for command mode mappings,
:map! for insert mode mappings
so for your insert mode help you may like to use the following
:map!   ^[OP ^[:!clear;more .helpfile^M
I however would use
:map!   ^[OP ^[:!clear;more .helpfile^M^Ma
which would stop the "hit return to continue" message from waiting for you
and would then continue inserting
--
catchya
thanx in advance