[comp.editors] map vs map!

bharat@cf-cm.computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Bharat Mediratta) (03/06/91)

Just out of curiousity, what's the difference between
'map' and 'map!'?  (Assuming vi doesn't get excited... :-)

	-Bharat
--
|  Bharat Mediratta  | JANET: bharat@cm.cf.ac.uk                               |
+--------------------+ UUNET: bharat%cm.cf.ac.uk%cunyvm.cuny.edu@uunet.uucp    |

From the keyboard of bharat@cf-cm.computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Bharat Mediratta):
:Just out of curiousity, what's the difference between
:'map' and 'map!'?  (Assuming vi doesn't get excited... :-)

One maps keystrokes while in edit mode, while the 2nd form
rebinds them while in insert mode.

Don't you have vi documentation?  This should be in there.

--tom
--
	I get so tired of utilities with arbitrary, undocumented,
	compiled-in limits.  Don't you?

Tom Christiansen		tchrist@convex.com	convex!tchrist

shj@login.dkuug.dk (Stig Jacobsen) (03/07/91)

tchrist@convex.COM (Tom Christiansen) writes:

>Don't you have vi documentation?  This should be in there.

I'm glad that you wrote _should_ - my manuals for AT&T SVR3.2/386
does not mention map or map! at all in the vi entry. In the
manual pages for ex, they list map and unmap, but there is
absolutely no explanation as to what they do.
--
Stig Jacobsen
shj@login.dkuug.dk / sysadm

From the keyboard of shj@login.dkuug.dk (Stig Jacobsen):
:tchrist@convex.COM (Tom Christiansen) writes:
:
:>Don't you have vi documentation?  This should be in there.
:
:I'm glad that you wrote _should_ - my manuals for AT&T SVR3.2/386
:does not mention map or map! at all in the vi entry. In the
:manual pages for ex, they list map and unmap, but there is
:absolutely no explanation as to what they do.

Yet another pedazaco de mierda from the Death Star.  Somewhere else people
are ragging on them for not grokking window size changes in vi.  Is there
yet still any wonder why people choose BSD over AT&T?

--tom
--

noraa@cbnewsk.att.com (aaron.l.hoffmeyer) (03/08/91)

In article <shj.668356807@dkuugin> shj@login.dkuug.dk (Stig Jacobsen) writes:
>tchrist@convex.COM (Tom Christiansen) writes:
>
>>Don't you have vi documentation?  This should be in there.
>
>I'm glad that you wrote _should_ - my manuals for AT&T SVR3.2/386
>does not mention map or map! at all in the vi entry. In the
>manual pages for ex, they list map and unmap, but there is
>absolutely no explanation as to what they do.

The best book that I have seen on vi is:

	_The_Ultimate_Guide_to_the_VI_and_EX_Text_Editors_
	by Hewlett Packard
	cO 1990 The Benjamin/Cummings Publishing Company, Inc.

Library of Congress data

The Ultimate guide to the vi and ex text editors/Hewlett Packard.

	p.	cm.
	ISBN 0-8053-4460-8
	1. UNIX (Computer operating system) 2. vi (Computer program)
3. ex (Computer program) 4. Text editors (Computer programs)
I. Hewlett Packard Company.
 QA76.76.063U48	1990
 652.5'53--dc20
						89-18318
						     CIP

ABCDEFGHIJ-DO-8932109

The Benjamin/Cummings Publishing Company, Inc.
390 Bridge Parkway
Redwood City, California 94065

Contents:
1. All You Need to Know
2. Introducing the vi/ex Editor
3. Starting and Ending a Session
4. Cursor and Display Control
5. Manipulating Text
6. Copying and Moving Text Using Buffers and Text Objects
7. Search and Replace Operations
8. Working with Files
9. Using ex Commands
10. Advanced Editing:  Shell Operations
11. Configuring the vi/ex Editor
Appendix:  Regular Expressions

The whole book can't be more than 250 pages so it shouldn't be
intimidating to even the newest users.  It explains more than any other
book that I've found on vi.  It is a paperback and it shouldn't cost
more than $25.

Note:  I don't work for HP, nor am I in any way affiliated with them.
This is just a good book.

Aaron L. Hoffmeyer
TR@CBNEA.ATT.COM