[comp.editors] executable elvis for MS-DOS + bug

zlsiial@cs.man.ac.uk (03/10/91)

Some time ago I obtained from some anonymous ftp site in Finland
an executable MS-DOS version of elvis, I believe of version 1.3.

(1)  Is there a later version on line anywhere, preferably in
     the US?  Why isn't this on Simtel?

(2)  The version I have has a bug which makes it fail when I try
     :1,$s/\\/\//g
     which works quite well in ordinary vi.

Thanks.
				A. V. Le Blanc
				ZLSIIAL@uk.ac.mcc.cms

ECSGRT@lure.latrobe.edu.au (GEOFFREY TOBIN, ELECTRONIC ENGINEERING) (03/19/91)

In article <2286@m1.cs.man.ac.uk>, zlsiial@cs.man.ac.uk writes:
> Some time ago I obtained from some anonymous ftp site in Finland
> an executable MS-DOS version of elvis, I believe of version 1.3.
>
> (1)  Is there a later version on line anywhere, preferably in
>      the US?  Why isn't this on Simtel?

ELvis 1.4 was issued in alt.sources last year.

Somewhere, in Sep 90, on Internet, I found a list of FTP SITES.
(Please jog my memory!)  You could peruse that for alt.sources.

To (hopefully) save you some trouble:

1.  In the USA, alt.sources (at my last notice) was archived at
schizo.samsung.com ( 134.228.1.2 ).

2.  Also, alt.archives was at polaris.llnl.gov ( 128.115.14.19 ).

Alternatively, you might nag some poor amenable soul like me to
email Elvis 1.4 source to you.

Geoffrey Tobin
--------------
I hereby disclaim all title whatsoever to disclamations I may or may
not have in the past, now, or in the future, declaimed, dish-claimed,
or otherwise have correctly or incorrectly uttered, whether or not
I know what I'm disclaiming, have disclaimed or will disclaim, except
insofaras voided by irrelevant international treaties.

Signed this and every day:

echo
"main() { typedef void disclaimer; disclaimer denied; * ++ & denied;
typedef so_there (* so_there) ();  so_there take_that = denied; take_that; }"
| c--

zlsiial@cs.man.ac.uk (03/24/91)

Many people have replied to my request for an MS-DOS executable
of elvis 1.4 with information about the SOURCES for this editor.
I have had a copy of the source for elvis 1.4 since mid December.
I do not have a compiler which can compile it for a 286.  For
this reason I am trying to get an EXECUTABLE BINARY.

			Yours,
			A. V. Le Blanc
			ZLSIIAL@uk.ac.mcc.cms