[comp.editors] Stevie

pmorriso@gara.une.oz.au (Perry Morrison MATH) (10/25/89)

Can anyone tell me how to get a copy of stevie- a PD vi lookalike
for ms-dos machines?

Thanks.

__  _______________________W_(Not Drowning...Waving!)___________________________
Perry Morrison	Ph.D, V.D (and scar).
SNAIL: Maths, Stats and Computing Science, UNE, Armidale, 2351, Australia.
perrym@neumann.une.oz  	or pmorriso@gara.une.oz		Ph:067 73 2302

las) (10/25/89)

In article <1268@gara.une.oz.au> pmorriso@gara.une.oz.au (Perry Morrison MATH) writes:
>Can anyone tell me how to get a copy of stevie- a PD vi lookalike
>for ms-dos machines?

I am about to submit my "BIOS-only" version of Stevie to comp.binaries.ibm.pc.
The MSDOS support included in the recently posted (comp.sources.misc) version
(V3.69) requires nansi.sys or nnansi.sys, or another console driver with
equivalent functionality (ansi.sys will not work).  That's OK as far as it
goes, but nansi/nnansi's liscensing provisions specifically preclude commer-
cial use, which could be a problem for some users.  The BIOS-only version
uses only the ROM BIOS and does not requires nansi/nnansi.  There is also
simple-minded EGA/VGA support (43 or 50 line mode).  The BIOS-only Stevie
also automagically supports the TI Professional Computer.

I intend to submit this as a binary plus a set of diffs and new files.

Recently I saw a notice from Rahul Dhesi that they were experiencing net
connectivity problems apparantly owing to the recent earthquake, thus I
have not yet submitted the package and Rahul's not sending anything out.

regards, Larry
--
Signed: Larry A. Shurr (cbema!las@att.ATT.COM or att!cbema!las)
Clever signature, Wonderful wit, Outdo the others, Be a big hit! - Burma Shave

ldstern@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Larry Stern) (03/24/91)

To all: I recently acquired a copy of Stevie, the vi clone for MS-DOS, from
Simtel. I am very pleased with it, though I noticed the file time-stamps
were all dated 4/90. Does anyone know if this program is still alive and
well and being developed further or if it has been abandoned?
Thanks in advance for any info.

                                                      Larry Stern

--

Larry Stern                                  LDSTERN@RODAN.ACS.SYR.EDU