[net.micro] 386

mo@seismo.UUCP (Mike O'Dell) (04/30/85)

Some 386 design folks at Intel took great exception to my note indicting
the 8[012]86 design which also mentioned the 386 while pointing out it IS
different in important ways.  It seems they are a might sensitive about
the criticizisms.  It seems the 386 is a muliple-personality case -
code segments are marked with the kind of instructions they contain
and things shift gears as you JSR around, so to speak.  The real
point is that the 386 in its maximal persona is still a segmented
machine, but with 48-bit addresses.  The segment number is still
16-bits, but the offset grows 16 more.  So, it is possible to
run it as a flat-address-space 32-bit machine by using fixed segments,
or, if you want to deal with 48-bit pointers and 32-bit integers,
a 256 giga-byte segmented machine.  Holy Multics, Batman!  On the
286, segments aren't paged, but must be wholy in memory - but they
can be demand-faulted in.  I assume the 386 pages under those gigantic
segments.

So, judging from the information I have seen in the promotional literature
and road-show on the 386, it seems they have designed a real cpu, and not a
useful but limited data pump, like its bretheren.  Maybe they can catch
Motorola.

	-Mike O'Dell

johnl@ima.UUCP (05/01/85)

I will be much more impressed by how swell the 386 is (and I agree, having
32 bit segment offsets sounds pretty swell) when I can hold one in my hand.
Seems to me that if the 386 can do everything a 286 can do, and also has a
complete 32-plus bit CPU, it is going to need a piece of silicon about three
feet across.  Rumor has it that Intel had a lot of trouble getting the 286
to work and still can't make them as fast as they'd like; the 386 can only
be worse.

So are there any credible estimates as to when 386 samples will start
appearing?  Any incredible estimates?

John Levine, Javelin Software, Cambridge MA 617-494-1400
{ decvax!cca | think | ihnp4 | cbosgd }!ima!johnl, Levine@YALE.ARPA

PS: I spend my time these days writing software that has to bob and weave
around the 8086's and 286's segmentation and I am increasingly sure that the
8086's addressing is my punishment for unspeakable sin in a previous life.  I
really sincerely hope that Intel gets the 386 to work soon, and that IBM
instantly puts it into a desktop computer that is so wildly successful that
nobody ever thinks about running code on a 286 or 8088 again, and that small
and energetic businesses build machines based thereon for under $1000,
including a 100MB disk drive and 16MB or RAM, and give me one for free for
suggesting it.  But somehow, I doubt it.

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (05/03/85)

In article <38800002@ima.UUCP>, johnl@ima.UUCP writes:
> Rumor has it that Intel had a lot of trouble getting the 286
> to work and still can't make them as fast as they'd like; the 386 can only
> be worse.

A little birdy told me Intel now has 80286s that run at 12.5 MHz. Since the
286 has a 2 clock bus cycle one could argue that is as fast as a 25 MHz
68000, in some sense. But I know I would get flamed if I did, so I won't.
Another rumor I heard is that the 80186 was developed the old fashioned
way (with tape?) while the 80286 was developed with extensive CAD. The
use of CAD was so successful that they really went whole-hog with CAD on
the 386. Take this with a large grain of salt.

Anyway, AMD has 10 MHz 80186s so maybe Intel should let us produce the 386 :-)

> really sincerely hope that Intel gets the 386 to work soon, and that IBM
> instantly puts it into a desktop computer that is so wildly successful that
> nobody ever thinks about running code on a 286 or 8088 again, and that small
> and energetic businesses build machines based thereon for under $1000,
> including a 100MB disk drive and 16MB or RAM, and give me one for free for
> suggesting it.  But somehow, I doubt it.

I hear that the 386 will come in a 132 pin PGA, which can't be cheap.
32 address lines, 32 data lines, and a few other pins. (68 power and ground
pins :-)
--
 I speak for myself and no one else.

 Phil Ngai (408) 749-5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.ARPA

jss@sjuvax.UUCP (J. Shapiro) (05/06/85)

> A little birdy told me Intel now has 80286s that run at 12.5 MHz.

Now about that bug list.....

zrm@prism.UUCP (05/12/85)

I get the impression that somebody at Intel really believes that lots of
segments are a feature rather than a bug. But I won't be convinced until I
can use those segments to advantage -- as is done in Multics. This means
that segments have to be of varying sizes, and have a paging system
underneath the segments, and have a mechanism for generating linkage faults
(detecting unresolved external references at run-time in a recoverable
manner). The 286 can detect refernces to a segment that has been swapped out
and can recover from those faults, but all of those refernces were resolved
at link-time. This leaves us about halfway to Multics (the good parts of
Multics, that is) in a micro. Will the 386 go the rest of the way? Is there
some clever hack to simulate linkage sections with the 286 addressing modes
and segements? And last, but not least, are there any companies doing
systems software that would take advantage of such capabilities?

Cheers,
-Zig

jbn@wdl1.UUCP (05/15/85)

     We already have eight code models for the present Intel line.
How many more will the 386 introduce?

	1)   8086/8088/Unprotected IAPX 286 small code/small data
	2)   8086/8088/Unprotected IAPX 286 large code/small data
	3)   8086/8088/Unprotected IAPX 286 small code/large data
	4)   8086/8088/Unprotected IAPX 286 large code/large data
	5)   Protected IAPX 286 small code/small data
	6)   Protected IAPX 286 large code/small data
	7)   Protected IAPX 286 small code/large data
	8)   Protected IAPX 286 large code/large data

How much more of this will the compiler vendors stand for?  By the way, is
there a good compiler for C on the PC/AT for UNIX that supports mode 8 fully?

					JN

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (05/17/85)

You forgot 4.5 and 8.5 : HUGE model which can access certain objects
larger than 64k.

The Lattice C large model is actually huge (unless you use an option).

The PC-AT large model (which has yet to work properly for any non trivial
program I've tried) is not.

I have seen a huge model Microsoft compiler when is even more buggy than
the large model.  It did however successfully compile and run the sieve
program with results about the same as Lattice huge model.  Some numbers:

		Sorted by Execution real time
Compile - Link		Execute
Real	User	Real	User	Bytes	System

1.8	.31	.37	0.2	200	Ahmdal 470-V8 + UTS (160 users) %
25	1.3	0.8	.45	224	Gould SEL 32/87 (loaded) %
27	6.6	1.1	1.0	140	Charles Rivers + Unos %
22	1.8	2.0	1.2	144	Parallel 68k + Zenix #
9	2.4	2.3	2.3	140	SUN 68010 4.2 BSD 6/84
8.1	1.8	2.6	2.2	104	4.2 BSD VAX 11/780
18.2	4.4	2.7	2.5	72	H-P 32 bit mini
14.6	-	3.3	-	148	Sun Microsystems 68k
22	1.8	3.7	1.3	144	Parallel 68k + Zenix %#
26	8.7	5	4.9	148	Cosmos 10 mHz
31	5.5	5.0	4.5	148	Momentum Hawk 32
38	6.8	5.0	3.9	148	CYB Multibox (Sun Board)
17.5	5.0	5.8	5.7	267	9mHz PC-AT Zenix + huge model 5/85
41	7.3	6.0	5.2	148	Lisa + Unisoft
15	3.8	9	6	88	VAX 11/730 + 4.1 BSD
45	8.2	9.0	8.2	128	NS16032 6mHz + "4.1 BSD" &&
50	-	30	-	252	IBMPC DOS 2.1 Lattice 2.00 8/84 +

Some of these times are based on old systems with numerous wait states.
Note that these results don't quite match those shown in Intel's ads.
That's because 32 bit programs are being compared with 16 bit programs.
There are 16 bit 68000 compilers that beat these figures, just as 8086
compilers do better when they don't try to emulate a real processor. -:)

--
Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX	..!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
Omen Technology Inc 17505-V NW Sauvie IS RD Portland OR 97231

markg@tekig4.UUCP (Mark Galassi) (05/22/85)

In article <418@wdl1.UUCP> jbn@wdl1.UUCP writes:

>     We already have eight code models for the present Intel line.
>How many more will the 386 introduce?
>
>	1)   8086/8088/Unprotected IAPX 286 small code/small data
>	2)   8086/8088/Unprotected IAPX 286 large code/small data
>	3)   8086/8088/Unprotected IAPX 286 small code/large data
>	4)   8086/8088/Unprotected IAPX 286 large code/large data
>	5)   Protected IAPX 286 small code/small data
>	6)   Protected IAPX 286 large code/small data
>	7)   Protected IAPX 286 small code/large data
>	8)   Protected IAPX 286 large code/large data
>
>How much more of this will the compiler vendors stand for?  By the way, is
>there a good compiler for C on the PC/AT for UNIX that supports mode 8 fully?
>
>					JN

I agree with you that the 80286's compatibility with old processors
is horrible for who doesn't care about the old ones. I have worked
a lot with an Intel 286/310 computer running XENIX, and the C compiler
allows:
2 small models: one has 64K text and data, the other has
64K text and 64K data.
1 medium model: n*64K text (arbitrary n) and 64K data
1 large model: n*64K text, m*64K data.
an option to generate 80286 code (I guess that for some obscure
reason they normally generate 8086 code).

(notice that no single array or structure must exceed 64K)
I have not yet used the large model (which is the mode 8 JN was looking for),
but in Intel's release 3 of XENIX, they say it is bug-free, so Microsoft
presumably also has a working version for the the IBM AT with XENIX.
You need to use libraries compiled with the large model if you use
the large model for your code.

Will we still have to put up with 64K segments on the 80386?

feustel@ihlpl.UUCP (Feustel) (11/06/85)

While I dislike hype as much as anyone, 386 info is hard to come
by right now (I just got my 130 page data sheet(read "book")). Among
the flames appearing on the net concerning INTEL and the 80x86
architecture are some good observations and ideas.

I am very familiar with INTEL 8086/286 architecture.  I like the
architecture a lot.  I like the 386 architecture a whole lot more.
I also think that the complexity of the 386 may be a strong argument
for risc machines (which I do not personally find appealing).

For the last 2 months I have been using an AT&T UNIX PC which
runs on a Motorola 68010.  It works very well.  Even though I
prefer INTEL's system architecture from an esthetic point of view,
I appreciate the functionality of the programs running on the
68010.

SUGGESTION:

Let's see the results of benchmarks written in C running under
UNIX system V version 2 for each of the 32 bit micros, with the
benchmark source programs included.