[comp.editors] OOE?

ericco@ssl.berkeley.edu (Eric C. Olson) (03/31/91)

Just to break in on the chain of thought here, has anyone come
across an "object oriented editor?"  By this, I mean an editor
that can edit a variety of objects (could be ascii steams, or
binary streams, or whatever else).  Especially one where the "edit"
message is located with the object or the associated class.

Curious,
Eric
--
Eric
ericco@ssl.berkeley.edu

edb@HQ.Ileaf.COM (Ed Blachman x4420) (04/06/91)

In article <ERICCO.91Mar30145042@sdaf1.ssl.berkeley.edu> ericco@ssl.berkeley.edu (Eric C. Olson) writes:
> Just to break in on the chain of thought here, has anyone come
> across an "object oriented editor?"  By this, I mean an editor
> that can edit a variety of objects (could be ascii steams, or
> binary streams, or whatever else).  Especially one where the "edit"
> message is located with the object or the associated class.

Disclaimer: I work for Interleaf, as should be clear from the header.  In
 no way can I claim to be a disinterested poster on this topic.

Interleaf 5 is Lisp programmable and object oriented.  It sees files as
 "desktop objects", and can choose the editor to invoke for a file based
 on the class of the object/file.  Furthermore, the editing model includes
 "editor objects"; such objects define and implement the set of editing
 operations to be performed on any given class of objects within a docu-
 ment, allowing object-oriented editing of heterogeneous documents.

So far, the editor-object classes defined have been targeted toward the
 standard Interleaf data types: one for the document as a whole, and
 others for running text, components (which are like paragraphs), tables
 and various types of images.  But we expect to add more ourselves...
 and the beauty of the system is that because it's programmable, editor-
 object classes can be added by others (users with needs not addressed,
 perhaps, in the broad-spectrum release) as they need, without needing
 special development or special agreement from Interleaf.  (Another
 alternative is to use your favorite specialized editor to edit a file to
 be represented in Interleaf -- Lotus 1-2-3 to edit a spreadsheet to be
 presented as a table in a document, for example.)

Interleaf 5 is available "free" (that is, for media/handling charges only)
 to US and Canadian colleges and universities.

Ed Blachman		edb@ileaf.com	(or)	...!uunet!leafusa!edb