[comp.editors] Wyse 50 terminfo wanted / printer question

finton@cbnewsb.cb.att.com (david.j.finton) (04/15/91)

I need a terminfo file for the Wyse 50.  I have a termcap, but I
don't know how to convert it to terminfo.  (In fact, I don't know
the difference between them, other than that the UNIX people here
tell me I need a terminfo, not a termcap, and there's no Wyse 50
entry in the default files).

While I'm asking about the Wyse 50 ... is it possible to use a
printer with this terminal remotely connected to a mainframe?
That is, I use the terminal to modem into work;  can I have the
terminal send its output to a printer here at home rather than
displaying the output on the screen?  The manual hints at such
capabilities, but was pretty cryptic.

--David Finton
ihlpb.att.com!finton

patrick@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick A. Townson) (04/21/91)

In article <1991Apr15.132522.17633@cbfsb.att.com> finton@cbnewsb.cb.att.com (david.j.finton) writes:

> While I'm asking about the Wyse 50 ... is it possible to use a
> printer with this terminal remotely connected to a mainframe?
> That is, I use the terminal to modem into work;  can I have the
> terminal send its output to a printer here at home rather than
> displaying the output on the screen?  The manual hints at such
> capabilities, but was pretty cryptic.

Indeed you can. It is very easy to do.

 From the printer port on the back of the Wyse-50, run your connector to a
serial-to-parallel converter (assuming your printer is parallel). Set the
dip switches on the p/s converter tp 19,200 baud. From the menu on the
Wyse 50 screen, set the printer port to 19,200 also.

From the p/s converter, send the output to a buffer box of some sort. I
use the 'Black Box Nini-Print Spooler', which stores 64 K at a time. That
is plenty of space. Shoving stuff from the Wyse to the spool at 19,200 baud
makes it virtually transparent to you unlike slower speeds where the
terminal will keep issuing xon/xoff to the mainframe trying to keep up
with the flow.

From the spool (and typically, a 64 K spool will be adequate; get 128 K if
you really plan a large dump), send it to the printer.  Issue the desired
printer commands (i.e. italics, bold face, setting of margins, etc) right
from the Wyse keyboard.

The printer port commands from the Wyse 50 terminal are handled by the
print/send key on the right end of the second row of keys on the keyboard.

SEND is used to send the screen (from the cursor to the end of the screen)
to the mainframe.

PRINT (shifting the 'send' key) sends the screen (from the cursor to the
end of the screen) out the printer port ==> parallel/serial converter ==>
spool ==> printer.

[CONTROL] PRINT (control + shifted send key) is a toggle. First it turns
on a continuous dump to the printer of whatever comes in (or is send out
by yourself. In other words the printer will sit there and capture your
session.

Second use of the key turns off the continuous dumping. Third time turns
it back on, etc.

The mainframe can also turn your printer on and off or dump specific
screens, by sending these characters:

CONTROL-R  Printer on for continuous dump (Control + Shift Print)
CONTROL-T  Printer off  (second time toggling of Cntl + Shift Print)
CONTROL-P  Print just the current screen

ESC-L  or  ESC-p  Print all unformatted

ESC-@  Print only the 'unprotected' areas of the screen.

Where you *might* run into a hassle is with issuing the above control
characters and escape sequences from the keyboard while in full duplex
mode. If your mainframe doesn't like those things, or will not send them
back to you, etc ... I use some aliases here which send them so if I
say 'print-on' my script sends me back a Control-R, as an example.

If you really are interested in some versatility, I have both an Epson
MX-80 printer and a 'letter quality' printer (actually, it is a very old
IBM Selectric which has been adapted) hooked up. An A/B switch says which
printer to send the output to from the spool.  So if I wanted to, I could
use an editor at my site (i.e. emacs, or whatever you use), write letters
or other reports, articles, etc ... edit them up as I want then turn on
the printer here and tell the editor to dump them back to me, or get the
file finished, save it and then cat <file> with the printer here turned
on.

I hope these hints help you a little.

Patrick Townson
--