[comp.editors] Electronic Rolodexes

mroussel@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca (Marc Roussel) (05/02/91)

In article <1991Apr30.205205.6328@njitgw.njit.edu> ken@hertz.njit.edu
(ken ng cccc) writes:
>One VERY
>disturbing trend that I have seen in recent years is to make the
>application pretty as opposed to functional.  For example: one application
>simulates a Roladex.  Ok, that is fine, give the user a conventional
>frame of reference.

I've seen even funnier things lately.  (Boy are we wandering far off
topic.  I've redirected followups to comp.misc where this thread
probably belongs.  I hope no one objects.)  I was in the local Grand & Toy
the other day and noticed two great "advances" in personal electronics:

     1) An electronic rolodex designed to emulate the real thing right
	down to having a big circular knob as the ONLY way to search
	through it.  In other words, you're buying a dedicated
	computerized unit but limiting it to exactly the functionality
	you had before.  The only improvement is that you don't need
	those funny little cards anymore.
     2) A "paperless tape calculator":  This is a standard desk
        calculator where the paper tape has been replaced by an
	electronic display.  This one is interesting.  Those of you
	who've worked in businesses that use paper tape calculators will
	realize that these things can only replace about 10% of the
	intended uses of paper tape: most of the time (in my experience)
	paper tape is actually kept as an unofficial record of daily
	sales for the use of local management, or for verification
	purposes.  (The rest of the time, the printing feature is turned
	off.  Every so often you create a tape for immediate perusal,
	but this is rare.)  In either case, unless you interface these new
	paperless calculators to a recording device and add the
	capability of attaching notes, you can't even use them to
	replace your old standby!  Who's going to buy one of these
	things?

     I guess that neither the general public nor the office supplies
companies are really ready for the computer age...

				Marc R. Roussel
                                mroussel@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca

Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM (05/03/91)

Did someone say rolodex?  [i've never tried them, but:]

		  Emacs Lisp Code Apropos -- "rolo"

rolo-2		  89-06-17
     Bob Weiner, <gatech!uflorida!novavax!weiner>
     tut.cis.ohio-state.edu:pub/gnu/emacs/elisp-archive/as-is/misc/rolo-2.Z
     Feature-laden rolodex system.
rolo		  89-04-24
     Paul Davis, <davis%scr@sdr.slb.com>
     tut.cis.ohio-state.edu:pub/gnu/emacs/elisp-archive/as-is/misc/rolo.Z
     An e-lisp version of Ron Hitchins rolo program

[...]
[the file paths might be a little different lately.]