[comp.editors] Simple VI question?

news@massey.ac.nz (USENET News System) (05/09/91)

How does one do this in VI.

Mark 2 lines, and then from ":'a, 'z" append a >> at the beginning of every
line. For example for  whole file, a command of ":g/^./s//la/g" would
substitute the first 2 characters of every line with la.

What I want to do is insert >> before every line in the region marked with
"ma" and "mz".

Thanx
Raminder $ingh

rouben@math16.math.umbc.edu (Rouben Rostamian) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May9.024022.24367@massey.ac.nz> R.Singh@massey.ac.nz (R. Singh) writes:
 >How does one do this in VI.
 >Mark 2 lines, and then from ":'a, 'z" append a >> at the beginning of every
 >line. For example for  whole file, a command of ":g/^./s//la/g" would
 >substitute the first 2 characters of every line with la.
 >
 >What I want to do is insert >> before every line in the region marked with
 >"ma" and "mz".

Try
     :'a,'zs/^/>>/

I prefer to mark one end of the range, say by m, the go to the other
end and do
    :'m,.s/^/>>/

--
Rouben Rostamian                          Telephone: (301) 455-2458
Department of Mathematics and Statistics  e-mail:

bharat@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Bharat Mediratta) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May9.024022.24367@massey.ac.nz> R.Singh@massey.ac.nz (R. Singh) writes:
>How does one do this in VI.
>
>Mark 2 lines, and then from ":'a, 'z" append a >> at the beginning of every
>line. For example for  whole file, a command of ":g/^./s//la/g" would
>substitute the first 2 characters of every line with la.

This actually replaces only the first character on each line with 'la'
To replace both:

	:g/^../s//la/g

or more simply:

	:%s/^../la/g

>What I want to do is insert >> before every line in the region marked with
>"ma" and "mz".

Mark the two lines with 'ma' and 'mz' and then type:

	:'a,'z s/^/>>/

Cheers!

--
|  Bharat Mediratta  | JANET: bharat@cm.cf.ac.uk                               |
+--------------------+ UUNET: bharat%cm.cf.ac.uk%cunyvm.cuny.edu@uunet.uucp    |

In article <1991May9.024022.24367@massey.ac.nz> R.Singh@massey.ac.nz (R. Singh) writes:

>Mark 2 lines, and then from ":'a, 'z" append a >> at the beginning of every
>line.

:'a,'zs/^/>>/

But if I were doing it I probably wouldn't bother with the second mark.  Just
put the cursor on the ending line for the range and use . to reference it.

:'a,.s/^/>>/

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

sanjiv@hoss.unl.edu (Sanjiv K. Bhatia) (05/09/91)

In <1991May9.024022.24367@massey.ac.nz> news@massey.ac.nz (USENET News System) writes:

>How does one do this in VI.

>Mark 2 lines, and then from ":'a, 'z" append a >> at the beginning of every
>line. For example for  whole file, a command of ":g/^./s//la/g" would
>substitute the first 2 characters of every line with la.

>What I want to do is insert >> before every line in the region marked with
>"ma" and "mz".

All you need to do is to put a backslash in front of >.  Thus, you should have:

	:'a,'z s/^/\>\>/

>Thanx
>Raminder $ingh

Sanjiv
--
Sanjiv K. Bhatia				Department of Computer Science
sanjiv@fergvax.unl.edu				Ferguson Hall 115

jmastel@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Joachim Astel) (05/10/91)

les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
>But if I were doing it I probably wouldn't bother with the second mark.  Just
>put the cursor on the ending line for the range and use . to reference it.

You could also omit the '.' and the third slash. Mark the beginning and enter:

	-Achim
--
# Joachim Astel, Wiesenweg 4, D-W-8566 Leinburg, FR-Germany # Are we not #
# dowjones@jattmp.ccs.imp.com + dowjones@jattmp.nbg.sub.org # men? -- We #