[comp.editors] save backups of vi files?

jerrys@truevision.com (Jerry Schwartz) (06/06/91)

Is there any way to have a backup of the file you are
editing saved automatically with vi. I tried set directory, but
that only saves it while the session is open.

				Jerry Schwartz
				jjs@epicb.truevision.com

P.S. I know that Tom can answer this one.

rock@warp.Eng.Sun.COM (Bill Petro) (06/06/91)

jerrys@truevision.com (Jerry Schwartz) writes:

>Is there any way to have a backup of the file you are
>editing saved automatically with vi. I tried set directory, but
>that only saves it while the session is open.

>				Jerry Schwartz
>				jjs@epicb.truevision.com

>P.S. I know that Tom can answer this one.

Here is "vv" that makes a backup file for you.

#!/bin/sh
if test -z "$FAVEDITOR"; then
	FAVEDITOR=/usr/ucb/vi
fi
case $# in
	0)  $FAVEEDITOR # no file, invoke editor w/o arg
		exit;;
	1)  EDITFIL=$1;;
	*)  echo "Usage:  vv [editfile]"
		exit 1;;
esac

EDITERR=editerr
TEMPFIL=/tmp/`logname`.$$
if test -r $EDITFIL; then
	cp $EDITFIL $TEMPFIL
	if $FAVEDITOR $EDITFIL; then
		mv $TEMPFIL ${EDITFIL}.bak
		echo "Backup file created"
	else
		mv $TEMPFIL $EDITERR
		echo edit error: original file is in $EDITERR
	fi
else
	$FAVEDITOR $EDITFIL
fi

--
     Bill Petro  {decwrl,hplabs,ucbvax}!sun!Eng!rock
"UNIX for the sake of the kingdom of heaven"  Matthew 19:12