[comp.editors] I'm looking for new editor.

cmdses@pmvax.weeg.uiowa.edu (Health Registry) (06/05/91)

I am switching operating systems from DOS to OS/2 on my 80386 so I need
a new editor.  I used UNIPRESS emacs under DOS but was never satisfied
with it because of limitations with file size due to lack of memory.

I would like to get an editor that can edit a file of any size, helps with
C code, will let me view my directory, launch compilers, edit multiple files
in multiple windows, cut and paste between windows etc.  I've heard some
good things about Brief, and Epsilon.  What do you think.  Are they similar
to EMACS or is there an EMACS that is improved over the UNIPRESS version that
would fill my needs.  What about SPF/PC?  Any advice will be greatly
appreciated.

 Kerry Sesker                             cmdses@pmvax.weeg.uiowa.edu
 Center for Health Effects of Environmental Contamination
 s426 WestLawn
 University of Iowa --  Iowa City, Iowa 52242

osan@cbnewsb.cb.att.com (andrew.vida-szucs) (06/07/91)

In article <6337@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> cmdses@pmvax.weeg.uiowa.edu writes:
>I am switching operating systems from DOS to OS/2 on my 80386 so I need
>a new editor.  I used UNIPRESS emacs under DOS but was never satisfied
>with it because of limitations with file size due to lack of memory.
>
>I would like to get an editor that can edit a file of any size, helps with
>C code, will let me view my directory, launch compilers, edit multiple files
>in multiple windows, cut and paste between windows etc.  I've heard some
>good things about Brief, and Epsilon.  What do you think.  Are they similar
>to EMACS or is there an EMACS that is improved over the UNIPRESS version that
>would fill my needs.  What about SPF/PC?  Any advice will be greatly
>appreciated.
>
> Kerry Sesker                             cmdses@pmvax.weeg.uiowa.edu
> Center for Health Effects of Environmental Contamination
> s426 WestLawn
> University of Iowa --  Iowa City, Iowa 52242

	Check out Epsilon by Lugaru. An EMACS type editor.

morgan@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Dylan Kaufman) (06/08/91)

   Date: 4 Jun 91 21:47:26 GMT

   I am switching operating systems from DOS to OS/2 on my 80386 so I need
   a new editor.  I used UNIPRESS emacs under DOS but was never satisfied
   with it because of limitations with file size due to lack of memory.

   I would like to get an editor that can edit a file of any size, helps with
   C code, will let me view my directory, launch compilers, edit multiple files
   in multiple windows, cut and paste between windows etc.  I've heard some
   good things about Brief, and Epsilon.  What do you think.  Are they similar
   to EMACS or is there an EMACS that is improved over the UNIPRESS version that
   would fill my needs.  What about SPF/PC?  Any advice will be greatly
   appreciated.

I have Epsilon (just got it recently), and I think it is great.  It is
very fast (though I am using on a DOS machine, not OS/2).  It is
almost identical to Gnu Emacs, though it does not have quite the same
key bindings in all ways... i.e. there's no ^X-4-b of ^X-4-f (which
irritates the hell out of me), but I'm going to program them in,
which, I understand is quite easy... haven't tried it.  It comes with
an extension language called Epsilon Extension Language which is like
C...

I highly recommend this editor if you like emacs, and if you can find
a good place to get it..  I got my DOS version for only 109 from the
Programmer's Shop in Massachussetts... they have an 800 number...

--
-<>Dylan<>-                     MA EMT-M, CA EMT-1A, BEMCo 107
Dylan Kaufman 			Major in Computer Science