[comp.editors] how do I use vi mode in gnu emacs?

Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM (06/06/91)

Kevin> 	I've been using `vi' for years and I refuse to give it up.
Kevin> However, it would be foolish not take advantage of the powerful
Kevin> features of Gnu Emacs.  So, can someone please explain the "vi
Kevin> mode" for gemacs? I know it exists and I've tried to use it,
Kevin> but it doesn't seem to work like vi.

in GNU Emacs do Control-H i
    Type   "?" for a list of all available INFO commands,
           "h" for a tutorial on using the INFO browser,
           "q" to exit the browser
then back up at the main menu, type m VIP
    * VIP:     (vip).          A VI-emulation for Emacs.
the differences are described in there.
You can also print out the VIP manual nicely if you have TeX.

>Kevin> 	I've been using `vi' for years and I refuse to give it up.
>Kevin> However, it would be foolish not take advantage of the powerful
>Kevin> features of Gnu Emacs.  So, can someone please explain the "vi
>Kevin> mode" for gemacs? I know it exists and I've tried to use it,
>Kevin> but it doesn't seem to work like vi.

Anyone who is used to the real vi and trying to use vi emulation in
GNU emacs should be sure to install the version 4.0 of vip.el that
was posted to comp.emacs and gnu.emacs.source in April.  The previous
versions did not do anything resembling vi when you hit ESC ESC,
space, R, and a few other critical keys.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

u-mwong%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Michael Wong) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun11.204742.27599@chinet.chi.il.us> les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:

>>Kevin> 	I've been using `vi' for years and I refuse to give it up.
>>Kevin> However, it would be foolish not take advantage of the powerful
>>Kevin> features of Gnu Emacs.  So, can someone please explain the "vi
>>Kevin> mode" for gemacs? I know it exists and I've tried to use it,
>>Kevin> but it doesn't seem to work like vi.
>
>Anyone who is used to the real vi and trying to use vi emulation in
>GNU emacs should be sure to install the version 4.0 of vip.el that
>was posted to comp.emacs and gnu.emacs.source in April.  The previous
>versions did not do anything resembling vi when you hit ESC ESC,
>space, R, and a few other critical keys.

    Could someone direct me to this latest version of the vi emulator?
As well as other new Emacs source files?  I'd especially like to get this
vip.el file.  I'd appreciate any help and info on ftp sites for these files!

-Mike
Michael Wong
u-mwong@peruvian.utah.edu
University of Utah