[comp.editors] Structure-oriented editors etc.

jgru1@cs.aukuni.ac.nz (JohnCollis Grundy ) (06/19/91)

Anyone got any info on "useful" (or perhaps "usable" is a better way of
putting it) structure-oriented editors? I'm particularly interested in
graphical editors that operate on program structures (i.e. graphical display
of program information based on the abstract program syntax etc.). What work
has been done since the Cornell Program Synthesizer/Synthesizer Generator
days on furthering the idea of incremental syntax/semantic checking etc.?
Any software available for use/source code for hacking?

Thanks heaps,

John Grundy :-)

John Grundy                                          jgru1@cs.aukuni.ac.nz
Comp. Sci. Department, University of Auckland, NZ.   (09) 737-999    x7693

elkassas@ebq.eb.ele.tue.nl (sherif el kassas) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun18.234021.11011@cs.aukuni.ac.nz> jgru1@cs.aukuni.ac.nz (JohnCollis Grundy) writes:
>Anyone got any info on "useful" (or perhaps "usable" is a better way of
>putting it) structure-oriented editors? I'm particularly interested in
>graphical editors that operate on program structures (i.e. graphical display
>of program information based on the abstract program syntax etc.). What work
>has been done since the Cornell Program Synthesizer/Synthesizer Generator
>days on furthering the idea of incremental syntax/semantic checking etc.?
>Any software available for use/source code for hacking?
>
>Thanks heaps,
>
>John Grundy :-)

Here are a few references that discuss syntax-directed editing of VLs

[AHW]     Arefi F.,Hughes C.E., and Workman D.A., "Automatically
          Generating Visual Syntax-directed Editors",
          Communications of ACM, March 1990.

[Go\"t86] Go\"ttler H., "Graph Grammars and Diagram Editing", in
          Ehrig H., Nagel M., Rozenberg G., and Rosenfeld
          A.(eds), "the 3rd International Work Shop on Graph
          Grammars and their Application to Computer Science",
          Lecture Notes in Computer Science 291, Springer-Verlag,
          1986.

[Go\"t89] Go\"ttler H., Graph Grammars, "A New Paradigm for
          Implementing Visual Languages", in C. Ghezzi and J.A.
          McDermid (eds), "the 2nd European Software Engineering
          Conference (ESEC'89)", Lecture Notes in Computer Science
          387, Springer-Verlag, 1989.

And the forth comming attraction by yousr truly :-)
[Elk]     ElKassas S., "Visual Languages: their definition and
          applications in system development", to be published in:
          A. Nu$ez (ed.), "EUROMICRO 91 -- Hardware and Software
          Design Automation", 17th Symposium on Microprogramming,
          Vienna, Austria, September 2-5, 1991.

Hope that's useful,
Sherif

Sherif El-Kassas, elkassas@eb.ele.tue.nl         .       :.
Digital Systems Group, EH 11.29            \_____o__/ __________
Eindhoven University of Technology,               .. /
5600 MB Eindhoven, The Netherlands.                 /