[comp.editors] Call for VI macros.

ant@mks.com (Anthony Howe) (06/14/91)

MKS is looking for useful and/or interesting VI macros to be used
both for testing of and inclusion with our VI product as FREE third
party examples of what can be done with macros.

The macros should be of orginal work or contain the orginal author's
name and address.  All submissions must be in the public domain.
All copyrighted macros will be rejected.  They must work on both BSD
and System V VI.

Please include documentation on how the macro is used and if possible
a blow by blow account of how they work for tutorial purposes.
--
ant@mks.com                                                   Anthony C Howe
Mortice Kern Systems Inc. 35 King St. N., Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, N2J 6W9

tmb@ai.mit.edu (Thomas M. Breuel) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun13.200528.25116@mks.com> ant@mks.com (Anthony Howe) writes:
   MKS is looking for useful and/or interesting VI macros to be used
   both for testing of and inclusion with our VI product as FREE third
   party examples of what can be done with macros.

I suggest people follow this request only if MKS promises to make the
collection freely available (a summary posting on USENET and/or
anonymous FTP). Anthony: what about it?

Otherwise, it would be better if you posted your vi macros to USENET
where everybody can benefit from them instead of sending them to MKS.

					Thomas.

elliss@kira.egr.msu.edu (Stew Ellis) (06/19/91)

I have been using jove and (sometimes uemacs) on a variety of platforms for
about 6 years.  GNU emacs is too much of a resource hog, and it is easier to
add features to jove or uem in C than to learn lisp.  I would like to become
more proficient in vi, but the best way of learning an editor is to use it.
Since most of my use of an editor is C code development, the ability of most
emacses to step through the errors is indispensable.  I am sure that vi can
be trained to do the same thing.  In fact I am surprised there is not a default
capability built in, since there are other things like electric C mode.

It might be trivial, but not to me.  I would appreciate if someone would post
a set of macros that would submit code to the C compiler and then parse and
step through the errors, forward and backward, for an arbitrary number of
files.

                                             _________________________________
  R.Stewart (Stew) Ellis                    / _______________________________/
  Assoc. Prof. of Social Science           / /      ______  ____________  __
  Dept. of Humanities & Social Science    / /      /___  / / ___  ___  / / /
  1700 W. Third Avenue                   / /          / / / /  / /  / / / /
  Flint, MI 48504                       / /__________/ / / /  / /  / / / /
  313-762-9765 Office                  /______________/ /_/  /_/  /_/ /_/

  elliss@frith.egr.msu.edu            ENGINEERING & MANAGEMENT INSTITUTE

  "Apple Macintosh, the closed system for people with supposedly open minds."
    - plagiarized from someone else on the net
  "How you gonna do it? OS/2 it!" - stupid IBM ad
  "Have you ever heard anything so half-OSsed?" - me

vince@bcsaic.UUCP (Vince Skahan) (06/20/91)

tmb@ai.mit.edu (Thomas M. Breuel) writes:

>In article <1991Jun13.200528.25116@mks.com> ant@mks.com (Anthony Howe) writes:
>   MKS is looking for useful and/or interesting VI macros to be used
>   both for testing of and inclusion with our VI product as FREE third
>   party examples of what can be done with macros.

>I suggest people follow this request only if MKS promises to make the
>collection freely available (a summary posting on USENET and/or
>anonymous FTP). Anthony: what about it?

>Otherwise, it would be better if you posted your vi macros to USENET
>where everybody can benefit from them instead of sending them to MKS.

I sent a mail note to the guy from MKS suggesting that they make the vi
macros publicly accessible and received a (very nice) reply basically
saying that they had no immediate plans for doing so for a variety of
reasons.

[...don't flame yet, whatever they can include is a plus over what
	is available now...]

I'd personally LOVE to see any macros that are submitted as long as they
have descriptions re: what the heck they're doing and how and why and...

Is there anyone who can assemble some kind of a FAQ file of vi macros
or provide anon ftp, etc. for all the goodies that are out there
somewhere?

While donating goodies to them for inclusion in a proprietary package
isn't necessarily bad, making them definitely publicly accessible
would be definitely wonderful...

  Vince Skahan    ARPA: vince@atc.boeing.com   UUCP: uw-beaver!bcsaic!vince
( As the five little pigs filled themselves up with beer, four of them ran to
the bathroom, leaving the fifth little pig to go wee-wee-wee all the way home. )

ant@mks.com (Anthony Howe) (06/20/91)

tmb@ai.mit.edu (Thomas M. Breuel) writes:
>In article <1991Jun13.200528.25116@mks.com> ant@mks.com (Anthony Howe) writes:
>   MKS is looking for useful and/or interesting VI macros to be used
>   both for testing of and inclusion with our VI product as FREE third
>   party examples of what can be done with macros.
>
>I suggest people follow this request only if MKS promises to make the
>collection freely available (a summary posting on USENET and/or
>anonymous FTP). Anthony: what about it?

I would love to make the macros available, however MKS is not connected
for ftp-ing and we have no mail archive software.  Alas I've received about
half a dozen macros, does this warrant an archive?

>Otherwise, it would be better if you posted your vi macros to USENET
>where everybody can benefit from them instead of sending them to MKS.

The problem with this is being able to go back in time and find macros
and articles that you've missed.  Fine if there were a known archive
site.

Currently I seem to be "the keeper of editor.101, 102, & gap.doc".  I don't
mind reposting these articles and the macros ever few months as demand
warrants it.  Currently the demand for these has dropped since the posting
of my Simple Editor.

For everyone's information I currently have the following files:

./editors:
         6340 Jun 11 11:35 ae.doc	Simple Editor - IOCCC '91 entry
         3918 Jun  6 18:05 aeae.c	Unobfuscated version of AE
        21901 Feb 28 11:02 editor.101	Intro into editor design - gap buffer
         8432 Feb 28 11:02 editor.102	Follow up on gap buffer
         8555 Feb 28 11:02 gap.doc	More detail and sample source
        25989 Feb 28 11:02 undo.101	Implementing Undo
         6435 Feb 28 11:02 ved.not	???

editors/macros:
         1392 Jun 20 09:14 ball.1	Bouncing Ball - examples
         1116 Jun 20 09:14 ball.2
         1117 Jun 20 09:14 ball.3
          488 Jun 20 09:14 ball.4
         5925 Jun 20 09:14 ball.mac	Bouncing Ball
         8382 Jun 20 09:14 fold.mac	Folding Text -unsafe for version control
         2864 Jun 20 09:20 hanoi.mac	Towers of Hanoi
          479 Jun 20 09:14 maze.eg	Solve the maze - example
         1017 Jun 20 09:14 maze.mac	Solve the maze
        19331 Jun 20 09:14 modula2.doc	Article about VI & modula2 macros
         1525 Jun 20 09:14 modula2.mac	Modula 2 programming
         7455 Jun 20 09:14 tom.exrc	Tom's .exrc with comments
          129 Jun 20 09:14 turing.eg	Turing Machine Emulation - example
         1673 Jun 20 09:14 turing.mac	Turing Machine Emulation
          418 Jun 20 09:14 word.mac	Word Completion

-ant
--

ant@mks.com (Anthony Howe) (06/22/91)

vince@bcsaic.UUCP (Vince Skahan) writes:
>While donating goodies to them for inclusion in a proprietary package
>isn't necessarily bad, making them definitely publicly accessible
>would be definitely wonderful...

Give me another two weeks to collect/process the macros I've received and
I'll post a uuencode/compressed/tar file to this group.

- ant