[net.micro] 386/68020 blather

rcd@opus.UUCP (Dick Dunn) (11/04/85)

> >I fail to see why anyone would 'sweat' over the 386 unless they knew they
> >HAD to use it on their next project.  What can it do that the 68020 can't do
> >better?
>
> Run several MS-DOS programs simultaneously with full 8086 compatibility,...

So a parochial statement (roughly, 68020 is better) gets a non-response
(68K processor doesn't run 86 code).  OK, lessee, I can tout the uVAX (for
example) and get two people to flame because it can't run either 68K or 86
code.  Then someone pops up with a 32000 and three of us flame 'cause it
won't run VAX or 68K or 86 code.  Come on, this ain't even a decent reason
to flame, let alone to post to net.arch...
--
Dick Dunn	{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!rcd		(303)444-5710 x3086
   ...Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity.

mdm@ecn-pc.UUCP (Mike D McEvoy) (11/10/85)

In article <200@opus.UUCP> rcd@opus.UUCP (Dick Dunn) writes:
>So a parochial statement (roughly, 68020 is better) gets a non-response
>(68K processor doesn't run 86 code).  OK, lessee, I can tout the uVAX (for
>example) and get two people to flame because it can't run either 68K or 86
>code.  Then someone pops up with a 32000 and three of us flame 'cause it
>won't run VAX or 68K or 86 code.  Come on, this ain't even a decent reason
>to flame, let alone to post to net.arch...
>--
Dick, do you ever get a feeling that we have a net of HW/SW religious
fanatics.  Some of them get so bad (and un-objective) that we
should put them to work for the various companies marketing departments.
In almost all cases a 68020 or 386 will do the job fairly well in a given
application. What really amazes me is that I NEVER hear any comments about
the development environments.... You know, those things that really count
in the order of the universe and the cost of a development program......

Big Mac

"Not every thing worth doing is worth doing well"  Soul of a New Machine

MEAD@usc-eclb.arpa (Dick) (11/15/85)

Everyone, put your hands on your computer and shout  "HEAL" !
(now see which one is faster, 32000, 386/80xxx or 680xx)....
-------

tuba@ur-tut.UUCP (Jon Krueger) (11/18/85)

>In almost all cases a 68020 or 386 will do the job fairly well in a given
>application. What really amazes me is that I NEVER hear any comments about
>the development environments.... You know, those things that really count
>in the order of the universe and the cost of a development program......

Well said, and it needed saying, too!

Although I read net.arch to get ideas on architectures and hardware that
implements them, when it's time to generate code I want tools, not marketing
hype.  Of course, if the architecture lasts a while, it will gradually
attract tools.  If the tools are good and available and cheap, I can enjoy
all the features of a truly superior architecture.