[net.micro] PC to Mainframe file transfer

ins_ayjk@jhunix.UUCP (Young Je Koh) (11/26/85)

I use an IBM PC with a modem to link up to a UNIX and VAX mainframes.
I have a communication program which supports XMODEM and KERMIT file
transfer protocoals.
HOW do you tell UNIX or VAX to upload or download a file to and from
micros?  I would appreciate any reply.
 					Thanx

{ ins_ayjk@jhunix }
{ ins_ayjk@jhuvms }

turek@brl-tbd.arpa (CHRIS) (11/27/85)

 First I assume you have MS-Kermit v2.28 or 2.27 on your PC and C-Kermit
running under your VAX/UNIX.

Try this:

  Xfer PC--->VAX

	Start the kermit server on the VAX by typing:

			kermit -ix

You will see a message about the server starting up.  When this finishes
you'll see:
			# 3N

or something like it. The system is now ready for your Xfer.
Type ^]c <CR>  ( Ctrl + ] followed by a return ).  You will now be at
the PC's Kermit prompt.  Type:

			 send filename <CR>

You can use wildcards to do multiple xfers. At this point the status
screen will appear and give you the progress of the xfer.  When it
finishes the Kermit prompt will appear. To kill the server on the VAX type:

			finish<CR>
			connect<CR>

You should now be connected to the Vax as a terminal again.

  Xfer VAX --->PC

   Use the same procedure as before and substitute 'get filename' for
the 'send filename' command.  If you have an older version (pre
V4C(057)31 Jul 85 ) C-kermit on the VAX try leaving out the '-' before
the arguments.

  I use this method almost everyday without problems.

				Chris...

*** The usual stuff for VAX, UNIX, etc.

brown@nicmad.UUCP (11/27/85)

In article <1304@jhunix.UUCP> ins_ayjk@jhunix.UUCP (Young Je Koh) writes:
>HOW do you tell UNIX or VAX to upload or download a file to and from
>micros?  I would appreciate any reply.

We use a home written XMODEM program.  Used on a VAX 750 with 4.2BSD.
I have posted source to the net in the past.  If enough requests come in
for it, I will repost to net.sources.
--

              ihnp4------\
            harvard-\     \

ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (11/28/85)

You need the a similar program (Kermit or Xmodem) running on the machine
you wish to talk to. These programs are available from many sources and
have many different features, so it's probably best to ask your system
administrator to install the appropriate program (Kermit or Xmodem) on the
system somewhere.

					- Ralph