[sci.psychology] off the wall

rolandi@gollum.Columbia.NCR.COM (rolandi) (03/09/88)

Regarding:
In article <1979@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> tom@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Thomas C Hajdu) writes:
>>When I posted my original question about (schizophrenic/
>>post-structuralist/post-modern/??) perception I was
>>sort of hoping to hear about books that I might read that
>>refered to my experience: Mcluhan, Kroker, Chambers, Foster,
>>Kern, Venturi, Turkle, Lowe, Foucault, Eco come to mind
>>as writers who bounce off of these feelings in one
>>way or another.

>Ok, I'll bite: in what way exactly do those authors bounce off of those
>feelings (which, I seem to recall, had to do with a preference for switching
>TV channels over reading long books)?

Perhaps those feelings were actually misperceived walls.  Psychology has
arrived on USENET.

Walter Rolandi
rolandi@gollum.UUCP
NCR Advanced Systems, Columbia, SC
University of South Carolina Departments of Psychology and Linguistics

eliot@mind.UUCP (Eliot Handleman) (03/09/88)

In article <64@gollum.Columbia.NCR.COM-> rolandi@gollum.UUCP () writes:
->Perhaps those feelings were actually misperceived walls.  Psychology has
->arrived on USENET.

Here's the original order of appearance:

In article <1904@phoenix.Princeton.EDU-> tom@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Thomas C
Hajdu) writes:
->
->In general, I've been noticing that I am changing the modes by
->which I communicate. For example, when I want to
->find out about something, reading feels less
->comfortable than does watching tv.
->I get the sense that reading is less vital and available than it
->seems to have been in the past, while the availability of tv seems to
->be constantly increasing. Even the act of writing these feelings
->down seems inappropriate -- negating the experience that I am trying to
->describe.

[some time passes ...]

In article <1979@phoenix.Princeton.EDU-> tom@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Thomas C Hajdu) writes:
->When I posted my original question about (schizophrenic/
->post-structuralist/post-modern/??) perception I was
->sort of hoping to hear about books that I might read that
->refered to my experience: Mcluhan, Kroker, Chambers, Foster,
->Kern, Venturi, Turkle, Lowe, Foucault, Eco come to mind
->as writers who bounce off of these feelings in one
->way or another.

I take it they're showing reruns of Foucault on cable TV.