[sci.psychology] language, thought, and culture

doug@dhw68k.cts.com (Doug Salot) (03/10/88)

In article Cliff Joslyn writes:
>In article Sarge Gerbode writes:
>>Whereas for most of us, words are primarily aural, perhaps, for many they
>>cannot be, viz: the congenitally deaf.  The word "verbal" would carry the
>>meaning better, I think.
>
>Excellent point.  Perhaps some deaf person can give us phenomenological
>insight into their primary thought modality.

While I'm not deaf, it seems to me that thinking should be quite independent
of the speech modality.  In fact, I propose that virtually any type of
communicated language serves as a thought-damper!

There are currently discussions going on in sci.bio, sci.med,
sci.psychology, comp.edu, and here in sci.lang that all skirt
around the question of the nature of intelligence, so I'm cross-
posting this in the hopes that we can converge on a solution.
All follow-ups are directed to sci.psychology (since this doesn't
seem to have much linguistic content, and it's a bit premature to
discuss this at the physiological level. However, relevant tangents
are free to diverge).

There are several issues here.  Why can humans speak, but animals
cannot (from comp.ai, "Why can't my cat talk?").  What is intelligence?
Is the ability to communicate a neccessary precondition of intelligence?
Does it follow from intelligence?  What is it that differentiates smart
and stupid people (or animals?)?  How can we best exploit the intelligence
mechanisms in education?

Without much conscious data (not to say that data might have consiousness,
but that's a viable topic in itself!), I hypothesise that some people
are smarter than others because they have a more efficient network
structure, often with a genetic basis, but that within the limits of
the number of neurons available and perceptual experience, everyone
has the potential to think any thought ever thunk (sic)!

I believe that language nets can be tickled by thought, and can be
used to help develop/direct thoughts but mostly as a venue to invoke
past experiences.  Spoken language is much too combersome as a computational
tool, and it is clearly beneficial to design languages that are more
operationally-oriented.  I think that conciousness is sequential and
usefull primarily as a blackboard where a train of thought can be followed
and directed, but "thoughts" are the colescence of other nets working
in parallel.  Wow, is this psychobabble or what?!  I'm sure there's
nothing new here, who can I read who has better articulated these
thoughts?

Here are some random anecdotes to consider:  Spoken/written speech
is linear (except for some of the formants at the phonetic level).
Sign Language has many aspects of speech communicated in parallel.
I've never met a stupid mathematician.  Nothing's more computationally
powerful than a stupid Turing machine.  PET scans show more brain
activity in lower IQ subjects than that in higher IQ subjects.

Do deaf people sign in their sleep?  Do blind people "visualize"
abstract ideas?  Do humans really think?  Is thinking anything more
than a combination of Pavlovian events?  Do you know people who
couldn't pass the Turing test of intelligence!?

I'm getting out of here! - Doug

--
Doug "" Salot = doug@dhw86k.cts.com = {trwrb,hplabs}!felix!dhw68k!feedme!doug
BIRTHRIGHT PARTY  | "To the moon, Alice" - Kent

jsnyder@june.cs.washington.edu (John Snyder) (03/11/88)

In article <5776@dhw68k.cts.com> doug@dhw68k.cts.com (Doug Salot) writes:

>There are currently discussions going on in sci.bio, sci.med,
>sci.psychology, comp.edu, and here in sci.lang that all skirt
>around the question of the nature of intelligence, so I'm cross-
>posting this in the hopes that we can converge on a solution.

HA HA HA HA HA Ha Ha Ha ha ha ha. (gasp) Oh, sorry, how rude of me.
I guess it just struck me funny to think that net babble could
`converge on a solution' that has eluded the best philosophers and
scientists since the pre-Socratics.

>Here are some random anecdotes to consider:  [...]
>I've never met a stupid mathematician.  Nothing's more computationally
>powerful than a stupid Turing machine.

Watch it.  You're presupposing what's in question by positing
`stupid Turing machines'.  If TM's are not intelligent, they can't be
stupid.

Anyway, I'll bet we can't say what stupidity is any better
than we can say what intelligence is.  Talent in mathematics
(or any other academic endeavor) certainly doesn't make one immune
from being a grade A screaming bloody fool most of the time.
Take Edward Teller for example.  Or Galois, who got himself killed
in a duel; if that's not stupid, I don't know what is (as I've already
admitted ;-) ).  The point is that intelligence is much broader and
harder to measure than IQ tests would have us believe.

jsnyder@june.cs.washington.edu              John R. Snyder
{ihnp4,decvax,ucbvax}!uw-beaver!jsnyder     Dept. of Computer Science, FR-35
                                            University of Washington
206/543-7798                                Seattle, WA 98195

sbrunnoc@eagle.ulowell.edu (Sean Brunnock) (03/11/88)

In article <5776@dhw68k.cts.com> doug@dhw68k.cts.com (Doug Salot) writes:
>In article Cliff Joslyn writes:
>
>There are currently discussions going on in sci.bio, sci.med,
>sci.psychology, comp.edu, and here in sci.lang that all skirt
>around the question of the nature of intelligence, so I'm cross-
>posting this in the hopes that we can converge on a solution.
>
>There are several issues here.  Why can humans speak, but animals
>cannot (from comp.ai, "Why can't my cat talk?").  What is intelligence?
>Is the ability to communicate a neccessary precondition of intelligence?
>Does it follow from intelligence?  What is it that differentiates smart
>and stupid people (or animals?)?  How can we best exploit the intelligence
>mechanisms in education?

   OK I'll bite. I define intelligence as the ability to make new
Stimulus -> Response associations. Everything responds to stimulus.
Put a rock in open air and its response is to fall to the ground.
Flowers bloom when exposed to light. These S->R relationships can
be explained by laws of physical sciences and these S->R relationships
will never change.

   An animal can make new S->R relationships though. The flatworm
(the simplest animal to possess a brain) normally shows no response
upon exposure to light and will recoil upon electrical shock. If you
repeatedly expose the flatworm to light and electrical shock together,
then after many trials the flatworm will learn to recoil upon exposure
to light. This is the most basic form of learning discovered by Pavlov.

   What seperates man from a flatworm? What has been developing in the
brain that puts man at the top rung of the ladder? The frontal lobe.
The frontal lobe is considered to be the seat of man's intelligence.
If you remove the frontal lobe ( a lobotomy ) from a person, then that
person becomes "stupid". He will only be capable of Pavlovian learning
and no more intelligent than a flatworm. Man would possess more complex
sensory and motor organs and therefore able to make finer distinctions
in stimuli than a flatworm, but if you gave a flatworm the same organs
and a brain large enough to make sense of the inputs, then the person
and the flatworm would possess comparable intelligence.

   What does the frontal lobe do that gives man his greater intelligence?
I believe that it possesses conciousness. A man with conciousness can
(for lack of a better word) conciously make reactions without the need
for outside stimuli. Conciousness can also create stimuli at will (the
cognitive image). This makes learning in a person more efficient. By
tweeking responses at the same time the brain gets sensory input (whether
real or imagined), associations are strengthened much faster. I won't go
into the details of the physiology of this.

   This is how I believe the human mind works. I would like to get some
input on how conciousness works.

   If there are any women offended by my exclusive use of the term "man",
I am sorry. It is due to my laziness.

   Much of what I have learned concerning the brain comes from Isaac
Asimov's book "The Human Brain: Its Capacities and Functions" (Houghton
Mifflin, 1963).

       Sean Brunnock
       University of Lowell
       sbrunnoc@eagle.cs.ulowell.edu

randolph%cognito@Sun.COM (Randolph Fritz) (03/11/88)

Doug Salot (doug@dhw68k.cts.com) writes:

    What is intelligence?  Is the ability to communicate a neccessary
    precondition of intelligence?

As far as I can tell, most people's working definition of "smart" is "someone
who I can hold an interesting conversation with & who seems to know more about
what I am interested in than I do."  Other definitions include, "someone who
writes interesting scientific papers", "someone who does something that I care
about well".  To be identifiable, a human capability must be expressed (read:
communicated).

Examples: people with speech impediments are often perceived as stupid.  A
reading problem coming from the inability to distinguish left from right
(dyslexia) is often thought to indicate either stupidity or stubbornness.

Problem with the idea of intelligence is, it's not the least clear that
something called "intelligence" exists in any place other than the mind of an
observer.  Doug comments that he's never met a stupid mathemetician, yet
there's plenty of people to whom the very idea of mathematics is stupid -- it's
something they just don't care about, therefore must be stupid.

Doug also writes:

    Why can humans speak, but animals cannot (from comp.ai, "Why can't my cat
    talk?").

Humans and other mammals can generally communicate emotions -- cat facial
expressions are surprising similar to human, for instance.  Generally, other
mammals cannot communicate with each other unless they are raised together --
cats and dogs are the classic example.  We have not yet succeeded in
communicating abstract thought with other animals; we have not yet recognized
the expression of abstract thought in other animals.  It is generally assumed
that animals are not capable of abstract thought because of this.
--
Randolph Fritz
randolph@sun.com

vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) (03/11/88)

Here I go writing another essay. . .I can't help myself.  First, let me
say that I agree substantially w/Sean.  I would like here to add some
clarification to his ideas.

In article <5378@swan.ulowell.edu> sbrunnoc@eagle.UUCP (Sean Brunnock) writes:
>   OK I'll bite. I define intelligence as the ability to make new
>Stimulus -> Response associations.

In terms of definitions, this is better used strictly as "learning."  We
must distinguish, as you do below, between simple learning that the
flatworm does and true intelligence.  Obviously learning is one
important aspect of intelligence, and learning is necessary but not
sufficient for intelligence.

>   What does the frontal lobe do that gives man his greater intelligence?
>I believe that it possesses conciousness. A man with conciousness can
>(for lack of a better word) conciously make reactions without the need
>for outside stimuli.

Yes, this is the key point.  Throughout biological evolution new
capacities of organisms emerge, like legs, wings, brains, etc.  It is
quite clear to me that one of the/the latest new "organ" is the most
important distinguishing feature of humans, and is also one of (the
only?) uniquely human trait.  That is this ability to control learning.
This is meta-learning.  The human can use its intelligence to generate
(imagine) novel representations, and then test those representations in
the context of its knowledge (network of existing representations).
Those that somehow "fit" are retained.  This is internal, non-stimulated
learning, called "thought."

>Conciousness can also create stimuli at will (the
>cognitive image). This makes learning in a person more efficient. By
>tweeking responses at the same time the brain gets sensory input (whether
>real or imagined), associations are strengthened much faster. I won't go
>into the details of the physiology of this.

Yes, but emphatically not just "more efficient." It is a qualitatively
different phenomena.  Consider seeing a gorilla or a whale sitting in
one place, thinking.  It doesn't happen, they don't think.  They *must*
interact wwith their environments to learn, to "move" mentally.  As we
all know, humans can *generate their own mental movement*.  This ability
is a discontinuous change, a radical departure, a bifurcation, a
meta-system transition, a "quantum leap" (discrete step) of biological
evolution.  Its significance should (obviously) not be underestimated.

>   This is how I believe the human mind works. I would like to get some
>input on how conciousness works.

You've already described it.  I have a profound belief that there is an
implicit, emerging consensus on this point, and thus a legitimate
psychology is beginning.  I'll take all comers! :-)

O---------------------------------------------------------------------->
| Cliff Joslyn, Professional Cybernetician
| Systems Science Department, SUNY Binghamton, New York, but my opinions
| vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu
V All the world is biscuit shaped. . .

todd@uhccux.UUCP (The Perplexed Wiz) (03/12/88)

In article <5776@dhw68k.cts.com> doug@dhw68k.cts.com (Doug Salot) writes:
>While I'm not deaf, it seems to me that thinking should be quite independent
>of the speech modality.  In fact, I propose that virtually any type of
>communicated language serves as a thought-damper!

>There are currently discussions going on in sci.bio, sci.med,
>sci.psychology, comp.edu, and here in sci.lang that all skirt
>around the question of the nature of intelligence, so I'm cross-

>There are several issues here.  Why can humans speak, but animals
>cannot (from comp.ai, "Why can't my cat talk?").  What is intelligence?

>Is the ability to communicate a neccessary precondition of intelligence?
>Does it follow from intelligence?  What is it that differentiates smart
>and stupid people (or animals?)?  How can we best exploit the intelligence
>mechanisms in education?

It seems to me that these comments touch on at least three large areas of
research:

1. Intelligence?  Is intelligence a single dimension (I don't think
   so, personally) or is what we call intelligence simply a convenient
   level for what is really a multi-factor combination of sometimes
   independent processes (e.g., just because you are an expert musician
   doesn't mean you are also an expert in solving engineering problem, or
   foraging for food in the wilderness).

2. Comparative cognition (humans and other animals).

3. The question of the role of literacy (being able to read and write) in
   cognitive processes.  I.e., do people who can read and write think
   differently from people who can't.

My own interests lie primarly in area #1.  Anyone up to date on areas #2
and #3?  I'm afraid I haven't kept up my reading in those areas.

...todd

--
Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii Faculty Development Program
UUCP:		{ihnp4,uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!todd

randolph%cognito@Sun.COM (Randolph Fritz) (03/12/88)

Cliff Joslyn (vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu) writes:

  Consider seeing a gorilla or a whale sitting in one place, thinking.  It
  doesn't happen, they don't think.  They *must* interact wwith their
  environments to learn, to "move" mentally.

Cats sometimes move their eyes rapidly while sleeping.  The motions are similar
to the rapid eye motions (REM) of a human dreamer; cats probably dream.
Apparently cats can operate on representations not physically present . . .
don't know about gorillas, though.

Conversely, many humans engaging in those activities called "thinking" move
through an imagined environment.  Human activity and animal activity is, in
this way, quite similar.  Is there a qualitative difference?  I have been
frequently told that there is . . . but I'm not the least certain.  Perhaps the
only difference lies in the quantity of imagined representations and the
ability to manipulate them or perhaps in the interest in working with imagined
representations.
--
Randolph Fritz
randolph@sun.com

langg@ga.ecn.purdue.edu (George Lang) (03/12/88)

>   What does the frontal lobe do that gives man his greater intelligence?
>I believe that it possesses conciousness. A man with conciousness can
>(for lack of a better word) conciously make reactions without the need
>for outside stimuli. Conciousness can also create stimuli at will (the
>cognitive image).

 Instead the term "conciousness" I should like to suggest:

	A free -  logically considered - will.

This should be the first & formost attribute of deity in monotheistic
faiths. Consequently, in exact accordance to monotheistic logic, since
man was created "in god's image" has the same attribute, unlike animals
which were not.

>       Sean Brunnock
>       University of Lowell
>       sbrunnoc@eagle.cs.ulowell.edu

	G. T. Lang, Purdue U.

max@omepd (Max G. Webb) (03/15/88)

In article <5378@swan.ulowell.edu> sbrunnoc@eagle.UUCP (Sean Brunnock) writes:
>   OK I'll bite. I define intelligence as the ability to make new
>Stimulus -> Response associations...

There are problems with defining 'intelligence' in those terms. As
Chomsky demonstrated a long time ago, a strictly behaviorist definition
of this kind is incapable of explaining the acquisition of competency
in a natural language. After all, a natural language contains an
_infinite set_ of stimuli. Adding S-R pairs, one at a time, will never
produce the language capability humans (and even chimpanzees) can show.

If you extend your definition to allow the addition of infinite sets
of S-R links, without specifying how this (remarkable) feat occurs,
then you haven't said much. All you will have said is that intelligence
allows a progressive modification of reactions to stimuli.

>The frontal lobe is considered to be the seat of man's intelligence.
>If you remove the frontal lobe ( a lobotomy ) from a person, then that
>person becomes "stupid".
> He will only be capable of Pavlovian learning
>and no more intelligent than a flatworm.

If that were the observed effect of a lobotomy, I doubt whether
the operation would have ever been done more than once. In actual fact,
a lobotomy does not reduce a person to a vegetable state. The change
is quite a bit more subtle than that. The psychopath may still hear
her/his voices, but not be moved to a frenzy by them.

sbrunnoc@hawk.ulowell.edu (Sean Brunnock) (03/16/88)

In article <912@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) writes:

>In article 5378@swan.ulowell.edu (Sean Brunnock) writes:

>>Conciousness can also create stimuli at will (the
>>cognitive image). This makes learning in a person more efficient. By
>>tweeking responses at the same time the brain gets sensory input (whether
>>real or imagined), associations are strengthened much faster. I won't go
>>into the details of the physiology of this.

>Yes, but emphatically not just "more efficient." It is a qualitatively
>different phenomena.  Consider seeing a gorilla or a whale sitting in
>one place, thinking.  It doesn't happen, they don't think.  They *must*
>interact wwith their environments to learn, to "move" mentally.  As we
>all know, humans can *generate their own mental movement*.  This ability
>is a discontinuous change, a radical departure, a bifurcation, a
>meta-system transition, a "quantum leap" (discrete step) of biological
>evolution.  Its significance should (obviously) not be underestimated.

   Human beings are not the only possessors of conciousness though. In
Kohler's experiments with apes *, the subjects underwent a lengthy period
of inactivity before they solved the problems put before them. This is
the type of insightful learning that Thorndike said all animals were
incapable of.

* -   Theories of Learning; B.R. Hergenhahn, 1982, Prentice-Hall; pg. 259

Sean Brunnock
University of Lowell
sbrunnoc@hawk.cs.ulowell

daveh@phred.UUCP (Dave Hampton) (03/16/88)

>There are currently discussions going on in sci.bio, sci.med,
>sci.psychology, comp.edu, and here in sci.lang that all skirt
>around the question of the nature of intelligence...

  Recent postings have suggested that emotion may be important to
distinguishing us as sentient beings apart from other organisms that
appear to lack feelings.  However, when looking for definitions, I find:

      "Emotion is a poorly conceptualized psychological concept.
   Classification of emotions is inexact, involving subtilties better
   suited to art and literature than to science.  The ageless,
   traditional cateegories of emotion are still widely used and have
   not been replaced by a more accurate classification."
                      Miller, Living Systems

  What is an appropriate classification scheme for emotion?  A
simple intensity-of-a-quality scheme is attractive, and would
serve for continua such as love-like-dislike-hate and delighted-
happy-unhappy-miserable.  What qualities are needed to span the
range of emotions?  Or are there other schemes which work better?

  And what about "drives" such as hunger or curiosity?  These feelings
certainly have the sensation of an emotion , but seem less abstract
in their expression (Consider lust vs. love, for example).  How should
these be handled?

  Any pointers to literature or insightful suggestions are welcomed...

                               David Hampton

--
Reply to:  uiucuxc!tikal!phred!daveh {Dave Hampton}
Addr:      Research Division, Physio-Control Corp.

In article <2920@omepd> max@omepd.UUCP (Max G. Webb) writes:
>In article <5378@swan.ulowell.edu> sbrunnoc@eagle.UUCP (Sean Brunnock) writes:
>>   OK I'll bite. I define intelligence as the ability to make new
>>Stimulus -> Response associations...

>There are problems with defining 'intelligence' in those terms. As
>Chomsky demonstrated a long time ago, a strictly behaviorist definition
>of this kind is incapable of explaining the acquisition of competency
>in a natural language...

   Stimulus->response associations cannot explain language, but my
definition of intelligence can be applied to any animal which possesses
a rudimentary form of intelligence. A broader definition is required
for human intelligence. Chomsky believed that the human brain is
structured to generate language, but this doesn't explain the ape's
ability to learn sign language since they were never recorded to have
used sign language of their own initiative.

>>The frontal lobe is considered to be the seat of man's intelligence.
>>If you remove the frontal lobe ( a lobotomy ) from a person, then that
>>person becomes "stupid"...

>If that were the observed effect of a lobotomy, I doubt whether
>the operation would have ever been done more than once. In actual fact,
>a lobotomy does not reduce a person to a vegetable state. The change
>is quite a bit more subtle than that...

   If a person's entire frontal lobe is removed, then that person will
be reduced to the state of a chordate. In actual practice, only part
of the frontal lobe (the pre-frontal lobe) is removed. I believe that
the sections to the fore of the lobe are where the most recent associations
were made (and hopefully the malignant ones).

Sean Brunnock
University of Lowell
sbrunnoc@hawk.cs.ulowell.edu

vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) (03/16/88)

In article <5490@swan.ulowell.edu> sbrunnoc@hawk.ulowell.edu (Sean Brunnock) writes:
>   Human beings are not the only possessors of conciousness though. In
>Kohler's experiments with apes *, the subjects underwent a lengthy period
>of inactivity before they solved the problems put before them. This is
>the type of insightful learning that Thorndike said all animals were
>incapable of.

All animals? Even paramecium? Seriuosly, I don't doubt what you say at
all, but I'm not sure if it gives my theory problems.  Perhaps *higher*
primates have sufficient neural advancement to be *taught* to think.  I
think I actually said as much.  That doesn't mean they have the
necessary neural structures to do so naturally, or that it isn't a
qualitiatively different kind of behavior even for them.

>Sean Brunnock
>sbrunnoc@hawk.cs.ulowell

O---------------------------------------------------------------------->
| Cliff Joslyn, Professional Cybernetician
| Systems Science Department, SUNY Binghamton, New York, but my opinions
| vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu
V All the world is biscuit shaped. . .

jcz@sas.UUCP (John Carl Zeigler) (03/17/88)

Another way to define intelligence as the quality of being able
to wonder if anything else is intelligent.

Trivia Quiz:  Who was the philosopher who posed that
dualism was observed when you could wonder what it was like to
be something.   That is, What is it like to be a brick vs.
what is it like to be a dog.    Things that you could
in fact imagine yourself to experience yourself being were
"alive", "cognizant", or "intelligent".    Other things weren't,
thus dualism was demonstrated.

BTW, my cat can't speak, but he does have moods,
and he can communicate them pretty effectively.

--
--jcz
John Carl Zeigler

vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) (03/17/88)

[ Hey, all us 'language thought and culture' folks: wanta take a stroll
over to sci.psychology and let these poor linguists get on with dropping
their pronouns? This cross-post should get the ball rolling; PLEASE
DELETE sci.lang HEREAFTER! ]

In article <27095@linus.UUCP> bwk@mbunix (Kort) writes:
>My experience is that internal self-communication not only exits, it
>forms the essesnce of learning, comprehension, and mastery.

Here here. (Hear hear?) This is 'imagination'.

>Like, Feynman, I note that my brain has multiple "departments".  There is a
>"language department" and a "vision department" and a "sensory-motor
>department" and so on.

This is also the thesis of the cognitivists, Fodor, Minsky, et. al.

>The left and right hemispheres of the brain can represent the same
>information in different formats.

Yes, but I wouldn't make too much out of the left-right brain per se.
That theory's been over-worked.  Differentiation of modalities certainly
occurs, but probably at a much lower neural resolution than the hemisphere.

In my mathematical left-hemispere,
>I can manipulate the equations of a ballistic trajectory.  But if I
>want to catch a softball, I rely on my right hemisphere to direct me
>to the landing spot of the ball.

Consider the various ways to solve a simple diff.  eq.  w/a machine: an
analytic theorem proving expert system; a numerical algorithm; an analog
computer; a physical model of a conic section. These are all
representations of the same problem in different modalities.  Why
shouldn't the brain do the same?

jim@epistemi.ed.ac.uk (Jim Scobbie) (03/17/88)

In article <5776@dhw68k.cts.com> doug@dhw68k.cts.com (Doug Salot) writes:

> spoken / written language
>is linear (except for some of the formants at the phonetic level).
           ^                                                     ^
           |                                                     |
           |                                                     |
woops - punctuation (I said "punctuation") marks embeddding in written
language (underlining, for instance) and though its unfashionable
spoken language appears to encode recursion and embedding too.
(see ladd 1986 Phonology Yearbook 3, Cambridge Uni Press)
--
Jim Scobbie:    Centre for Cognitive Science and Department of Linguistics,
		Edinburgh University,

dk@sal.UUCP (Danny Kohn) (03/19/88)

I doubt your hypothesis that some people are smarter than other people.
Also I cannot see what's desirable with a ability to "think every
thought ever thunk".

What we are after here, it seems, is to generate a phenomenon we
can call breakthrough thinking. The thing about breakthroughs
is that it contains thoughts or collections of thoughts never thought
before. When we listen to these new thoughts we evaluate them and have our
oppinions about them. But because the thought are so new our limited
understanding of the new thoughts make these judgements very risky. Very
often our ego, i.e. our thrownness to be right and to know better, hinders
us to see clearly what somebody else sees.

Thinking seems to me to be rather automatic. My brain processes, thinks.
Some of the thinking am I awhare of. I listen to the thinking going on
(and call it that I'm thinking). But if I actually am thinking, i.e.
be in control tf the thoughts, I would easely be able to stop the
thinking. And everybody who ever tried to stop thinking knows that it is
very difficult to control the thinking process. You can control it by deep
meditation or by drougs but as soon as you stop the meditation or
the droug effect is whereing off the thinking starts all over again.

Also most thinking is done in a conversation. I have an inner
conversations with myself, a discussion. It is like somebody is
speaking and somebody is listening and the inner speaker and the inner
listener change ( as in an outward conversation). If you want to
test this just sit on a chair, relax, and just listen to the
conversation going on inside you. Notice that you are listening to
this conversation. "I wonder what he is talking about. I don't beleive
it. But maybe he is right. What wonderful whether we have today. I should
really be doing something useful today. My thinking cannot be automatic.
that's obscure. Well he must be a nut. Wonder if I should call Lisa
today. I'm hungry. I should really do something useful now. Wonder
what I should start with. Cleaning maybe. No, that can wait. No,
i take a shower. Is it warm today? I better check. Wonder what cloth
I should wear. On and on and on and on and on. It never stops.

Breakthrough thinking has to do with being interested (my concept).
If one is interested enough in something, something that is very
meaningful and important to oneself, in some unexplainable way
the thought are more focused around that subject. And when
the thoughts, our awareness, focus around something, we start to observe
things in a new way. We start to see things we have not seen before.

People who are brekthrough thinkers seem to be able to dedicate
themselfes to a subject so that it becomes absolutly essencial for
them to work with it.

Then we have the whole area of intuition but I must leave now. Sorry.
/Love Danny

sarge@thirdi.UUCP (Sarge Gerbode) (03/20/88)

In article <2100@phred.UUCP> daveh@phred.UUCP (Dave Hampton) writes:

>  What is an appropriate classification scheme for emotion?  A
>simple intensity-of-a-quality scheme is attractive, and would
>serve for continua such as love-like-dislike-hate and delighted-
>happy-unhappy-miserable.  What qualities are needed to span the
>range of emotions?  Or are there other schemes which work better?

>  And what about "drives" such as hunger or curiosity?  These feelings
>certainly have the sensation of an emotion , but seem less abstract
>in their expression (Consider lust vs. love, for example).  How should
>these be handled?

I think there is an important distinction between emotions and intentions, or
"drives", on the one hand, and physical sensations on the other, though they
relate to both.  I don't particularly have scriptural authority to quote in
support of my views.  But I'd like to present an experiential (as opposed to
physiological or neurological) account of emotion.

First of all, emotion depends on intention.  If one did not have any needs or
desires (i.e., intentions), one would not feel emotions, I believe.  Hence the
Buddhistic idea that pain (including emotional pain) derives from attachment
or desire (There's my scriptural authority :-). ).  If one does not care about
something (has no intentions with respect to that thing), one does not
particularly feel emotions about that subject.

An emotion is correlated with a consideration of how well one is doing at
fulfilling a particular intention.  And the different emotions contain
different "built-in" strategies for coping with the various degrees of
perceived failure or success in fulfilling the intentions that correspond to the
emotions.

Thus, emotion is specific to a particular activity, governed by a particular
intention.  One can feel enthusiastic about one's job and, at the same time,
apathetic about one's marriage and angry at a rude shopkeeper.

It is possible to arrange emotions along an increasing scale, arranged in
increasing order of perceived probability of success in fulfilling a
particular intention.  Anyone can work out what this scale would consist of by
consulting his own experience, but this is what I get:  At of near the bottom
of this scale would be the emotion called "apathy", which occurs when one
believes there is little or no chance of success, and the strategy of which is
to disengage from the corresponding activity.  Above that level is grief,
where one feels one is probably going to fail, and the strategy is to make
enough noise and express enough pain to get someone else to do something about
it, since one has given up oneself.  At the level of fear, the strategy is to
run away.  At anger the strategy is to destroy obstacles to the fulfillment of
the intention.  At antagonism, the strategy is to push back with equal force
against opposing forces.

Above antagonism is a level of ambivalence, where one is uncertain of
impending success or failure and therefore tends to vacillate and be
relatively inactive.  Then comes complacency, where the strategy is to more or
less continue doing what one is doing.  Above that, where one is quite
confident of success, lie enthusiasm and exhilaration, where one feels one can
be more relaxed and experimental in one's approach.

At and below antagonism, the "built-in" strategies themselves usually are
counter-productive and (all else being equal) lead to a greater degree of
failure.  So I call those "negative emotions".  At and above complacency, the
strategies tend to lead to success, all else being equal.  I call those
"positive emotions".  So a person who is content or cheerful in a particular
area tends to gravitate towards enthusiasm, whereas a person who is
antagonistic or angry tends to gravitate towards apathy.

If an emotion be thought of as like a musical note, these different levels are
like different "pitches" or "wavelengths".  However, the other component of a
musical note is volume, and this in determined by the intensity of the
*intention* that underlies the emotion.  We have intense emotions concerning
things that are very important to us and rather light emotions concerning
things where our intentions are weaker.

As a matter of personal survival, it is best to associate with people who are
habitually on the positive end of the emotional spectrum.  Those who are lower
tend to drag higher individuals down to a lower level of emotion.  Those who
are higher up tend to pull one up.  So in listening to or reading what another
person has to say, I have found it extremely helpful to listen to the "music"
(the emotional scale) of their communication and take that into account in
evaluating what they say.  People who are expressing negative emotion are
rarely truthful.

I go into these matters at more length in my book "Beyond Psychology -- An
Introduction to Metapsychology" (self-published; email or write me for details).

--
"Absolute knowledge means never having to change your mind."

Sarge Gerbode
Institute for Research in Metapsychology
950 Guinda St.
Palo Alto, CA 94301
UUCP:  pyramid!thirdi!sarge

vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) (03/20/88)

What Sarge says sounds reasonable and plausible, but:

In article <353@thirdi.UUCP> sarge@thirdi.UUCP (Sarge Gerbode) writes:
>Thus, emotion is specific to a particular activity, governed by a particular
>intention.  One can feel enthusiastic about one's job and, at the same time,
>apathetic about one's marriage and angry at a rude shopkeeper.

The well-known phenomena of panic attacks are (probably) biochemically
induced states of non-directed emotion.  It is a definite feature that
they are specifically not fear of anything in particular.  The victim,
finding this an irrational and untenable situation, will frequently
project that fear to something and attach to it, but this is a
pathological reaction.

We can conclude that while it is normal for emotions to be intentional,
this is not necessary, and therefore emotions require an explanation
independent of intention.