[sci.psychology] Emotion and intention

sarge@thirdi.UUCP (Sarge Gerbode) (03/21/88)

In article <971@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu
(Cliff Joslyn) writes:

>The well-known phenomena of panic attacks are (probably) biochemically
>induced states of non-directed emotion.  It is a definite feature that
>they are specifically not fear of anything in particular.

Excellent point.  However, as an heuristic assumption, I think it would be
interesting to assume that there might be some intention that exists but is
unknown at a particular time.  This is the classical Freudian explanation of
"free-floating anxiety".  Gendlin ("Focusing") describes an excellent method
for becoming aware of what lies behind an uncomfortable feeling or emotion.  In
my experience, such methods usually lead to an explanation in which the
underlying intention can be understood (usually with considerable relief of the
unpleasant emotion as well).

>The victim, finding this an irrational and untenable situation, will frequently
>project that fear to something and attach to it, but this is a pathological
>reaction.

That's valid and does happen commonly, but it doesn't mean there isn't an
underlying intention that would be the "rational" reason for the fear.

What also complicates the picture is that unpleasant feelings become
associated with certain objects or people contained in past traumatic
incidents, and the mere appearance of those objects and people may trigger the
feeling.  The trick there is to find the earlier incident (usually
"incidents") that are triggered and direct the person's awareness to those.
This procedure (traumatic incident reduction) also can cause a considerable
relief (and is also a method used by Freud).

I don't know if anyone cares anymore what Freud thought, but I think the old
boy had some great ideas, mixed in with many wrong ideas.
--
"Absolute knowledge means never having to change your mind."

Sarge Gerbode
Institute for Research in Metapsychology
950 Guinda St.
Palo Alto, CA 94301
UUCP:  pyramid!thirdi!sarge