[sci.psychology] Emotion

vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) (03/17/88)

In article <2100@phred.UUCP> daveh@phred.UUCP (Dave Hampton) writes:
>  Recent postings have suggested that emotion may be important to
>distinguishing us as sentient beings apart from other organisms that
>appear to lack feelings.

I strongly disagree that other organisms lack feelings, or even appear
to.  I think that anyone who's really an "animal person", who loves
pets and animals and spends a lot of time with them, would also
disagree.  This observation underlies my thought on emotion.

However, when looking for definitions, I find:

>      "Emotion is a poorly conceptualized psychological concept.
>   Classification of emotions is inexact, involving subtilties better
>   suited to art and literature than to science.  The ageless,
>   traditional cateegories of emotion are still widely used and have
>   not been replaced by a more accurate classification."
>                      Miller, Living Systems
		       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  My hero!
[ Miller is a prominent Systems Scientist.  I'd love to hear that
he is well known outside of our small numbers].

And I agree with him.  I believe that it is fairly clear that emotion is
in fact a very ancient form of mentality, perhaps evident in even
primitive neural organisms.  I have heard suggestions that every (almost
every?) action is associated with a particular emotional feeling.
Certainly such concepts as pleasure and pain can be applied to most
animals, especially the higher ones.  On this view, as we move towards
the examination of simpler neural organisms, the concept of "emotion"
merges with that of "tropism."

O---------------------------------------------------------------------->
| Cliff Joslyn, Professional Cybernetician
| Systems Science Department, SUNY Binghamton, New York, but my opinions
| vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu
V All the world is biscuit shaped. . .

daveh@phred.UUCP (Dave Hampton) (03/18/88)

>> ...emotion may distinguish us as sentient beings...
                              ^^^^^
  I agree that neither emotions nor sentience are restricted to
human beings (especially after following the "Clif & Prem" debate
across several newsgroups...).  But, I'm still intrigued by the
idea that, in living organisms in general, a display of emotion
may serve as one marker of consciousness.

>   I have heard suggestions that every (almost every?) action is
> associated with a particular emotional feeling.  Certainly such
> concepts as pleasure and pain can be applied to most animals,
> especially the higher ones.

  I agree.  According to the (poor) definitions that I have found, emotion
results when a cognitive drive towards some definite object is either
frustrated or satisfied.  Since this definition requires both self-
awareness of desire and perceptual awareness of an object, it seems
to me that the presence of emotions can serve as a marker for conscious
self-awareness.  This emotion can range from the "passionate
quest" of humans to the pleasure or worry (not pain: that's sensory)
that one observes in pets (dogs and cats, but not turtles or fish...)

>  As we move towards simpler neural organisms, the concept of "emotion"
> merges with that of "tropism."
>
|                   Cliff Joslyn, Professional Cybernetician

  I prefer "taxis" to "tropism" in this context, but, in either case,
I think that there is a qualitiative difference between emotions
and tropism.  Tropic behavior is a blind response to environmental
conditions:  a reflex in which the character of the response is
completely determined by the character of the stimulus.
Emotional expression is not driven simply by environnmental
conditions, but by how these circumstances relate to cognitive desires.
Both perceptual- and self-awareness are needed to produce an
emotional response: only the perceptual to obtain a tropic one.

     --- Dave Hampton

--
Reply to:  uiucuxc!tikal!phred!daveh {Dave Hampton}
Addr:      Research Division, Physio-Control Corp.

vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) (03/18/88)

In article <2103@phred.UUCP> daveh@phred.UUCP (Dave Hampton) writes:
>>   I have heard suggestions that every (almost every?) action is
>> associated with a particular emotional feeling.  Certainly such
>> concepts as pleasure and pain can be applied to most animals,
>> especially the higher ones.
>
>  I agree.  According to the (poor) definitions that I have found, emotion
>results when a cognitive drive towards some definite object is either
>frustrated or satisfied.  Since this definition requires both self-
>awareness of desire and perceptual awareness of an object, it seems
>to me that the presence of emotions can serve as a marker for conscious
>self-awareness.

I disagree, and assert that I can have unconscious or at least
subconscious emotions (not denying that emotion is frequently (usually?)
associated with self-awareness).  For example, when I slip on the
stairs, I get a surge of adrenalin, and my emotional state instantly
changes to one of fear and exhiliration.  Now, when this happens, I am
typically self-aware, but not necessarily so.  Let's say that I was
thinking intently on some subject as I came down the stairs.  Then it
may take some fractions of a second after the adrenalin stimulation for
my attention to turn from what I was considering to considering my
peril.  Or, I doubt that people in uncontrollable rages are always
self-aware, but clearly emotional. Indeed, this is the insanity defense.

>  I prefer "taxis" to "tropism" in this context, but, in either case,
>I think that there is a qualitiative difference between emotions
>and tropism.  Tropic behavior is a blind response to environmental
>conditions:  a reflex in which the character of the response is
>completely determined by the character of the stimulus.
>Emotional expression is not driven simply by environnmental
>conditions, but by how these circumstances relate to cognitive desires.

First, we always need to be very careful when using terms like
"completely determined." Very few things in nature are completely
determined.  And that's exactly my point: I don't doubt that the
simplest taxic reflex is normally determining, but suspect that very
quickly as we move up the phylogenetic tree in neural complexity, that
the organisms gains some small amount of freedom in their reflexive
I doubt that their courtship rituals are always identical, always
determined.  Strongly controlled, highly similar, yes, but the
difference between complete determinism and strong control is exactly my
argument on the quantitative difference between emotion and taxis.  Or,
do you really think the octopus is *self*-aware?

To conculde, I deny that your latter point is necessary, although it may
be common.  Consider (:-}) the height of sexual passion, battle-lust,
absolute depressive despair or grief.  .  .it seems these extreme
emotional states overwhelm our consciousness to the extent that our
self-awareness may indeed be temporarily absent.  During these peak
experiences, all we have "room" to be aware of is the emotion, and if
we're lucky, the object of the emotion.

sarge@thirdi.UUCP (Sarge Gerbode) (03/20/88)

In article <2103@phred.UUCP> daveh@phred.UUCP (Dave Hampton) writes:

>  I prefer "taxis" to "tropism" in this context, but, in either case,
>I think that there is a qualitiative difference between emotions
>and tropism.  Tropic behavior is a blind response to environmental
>conditions:  a reflex in which the character of the response is
>completely determined by the character of the stimulus.
>Emotional expression is not driven simply by environnmental
>conditions, but by how these circumstances relate to cognitive desires.
>Both perceptual- and self-awareness are needed to produce an
>emotional response: only the perceptual to obtain a tropic one.

To me, the most major difference is that tropism is a behavior, whereas
emotion and intentions are experienced.  The one term is looking from the
outside and the others are looking from the inside.
--
"Absolute knowledge means never having to change your mind."

Sarge Gerbode
Institute for Research in Metapsychology
950 Guinda St.
Palo Alto, CA 94301
UUCP:  pyramid!thirdi!sarge

sarge@thirdi.UUCP (Sarge Gerbode) (03/20/88)

In article <962@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu
(Cliff Joslyn) writes:

>>According to the (poor) definitions that I have found, emotion
>>results when a cognitive drive towards some definite object is either
>>frustrated or satisfied.

That's my view also, but I would be interested in some references to support
it.

>I disagree, and assert that I can have unconscious or at least
>subconscious emotions (not denying that emotion is frequently (usually?)
>associated with self-awareness).  For example, when I slip on the
>stairs, I get a surge of adrenalin, and my emotional state instantly
>changes to one of fear and exhiliration.

I guess to believe in "unconscious emotion", one would have to look upon
emotion as a physiological state, of which one could be conscious or
unconscious.  But supposing that emotion is thought of as an *experience* of
some kind (as, I think, it is commonly viewed).  What would qualify as an
"unconscious experience"?  On the face of it, that would seem to be a
contradiction in terms, since an experience is something of which one is
conscious.

If emotion isn't just a physiological state, and if it isn't part of one's
experience, then I find it hard to understand what it might be.
--

vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) (03/20/88)

In article <355@thirdi.UUCP> sarge@thirdi.UUCP (Sarge Gerbode) writes:
>In article <962@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu
>(Cliff Joslyn) writes:
>>I disagree, and assert that I can have unconscious or at least
>>subconscious emotions (not denying that emotion is frequently (usually?)
>>associated with self-awareness).  For example, when I slip on the
>>stairs, I get a surge of adrenalin, and my emotional state instantly
>>changes to one of fear and exhiliration.
>
>I guess to believe in "unconscious emotion", one would have to look upon
>emotion as a physiological state, of which one could be conscious or
>unconscious.

Perhaps I used a term laxly.  The original poster had said that one
needed to be *self* aware about one's emotions.  I will agree that while
I must always be *aware* of my emotions in order for them to exist at
all, that I need not be self-aware, although that state is common.  My
example is evidence.

Now, the argument depends on you stance on consciousness: can I be
conscious (aware) of somthing without being self-conscious (self-aware)?
 This is also the KK thesis: if I know something, do I know I know it?

sarge@thirdi.UUCP (Sarge Gerbode) (03/21/88)

In article <972@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu
(Cliff Joslyn) writes:
>[C]an I be conscious (aware) of somthing without being self-conscious
>(self-aware)?  This is also the KK thesis: if I know something, do I know I
>know it?

I think it is quite possible to be aware of something without being aware that
one is aware of it.  This is what Polanyi calls "subsidiary awareness", as
opposed to "focal" awareness.  Otherwise, we'd have all our "RAM" tied up in
endless feedback loops all the time.  I think the same applies to KK:
probably of most things I know, I have never thought about whether I know them
or not.

A similar loop exists with intentions:  one can intend without intending
to intend, I believe.
--

tjhorton@ai.toronto.edu ("Timothy J. Horton") (03/22/88)

In article <355@thirdi.UUCP> sarge@thirdi.UUCP (Sarge Gerbode) writes:
>... to believe in "unconscious emotion", one would have to look upon
>emotion as a physiological state, of which one could be conscious or
>unconscious.  But supposing that emotion is thought of as an *experience*
>of some kind...  What would qualify as an "unconscious experience"?
>On the face of it, that would seem to be a contradiction in terms, since
>an experience is something of which one is conscious.
>If emotion isn't just a physiological state, and if it isn't part of one's
>experience, then I find it hard to understand what it might be.

Process, and/or processing constraint, perhaps.

These would probably be experienced INdirectly.
Much like the way a computer might come to know
that it's swapping processes in and out so much
that it's not getting anything done (thrashing).
There's no "thrashing" sensor in a 68000, but
there are ways of calculating such things from
the observable quantities.

I think the "unconscious experience" idea referred
to such indirectly observable "stuff".  A second
after an adrenalin surge, a zillion things happen
in one's body, not all at the level of abstract
analyzable thought.  And the "flight-response" is
a process, not a single physiological state -- more
like a computer being in the middle of an interrupt
routine than being in some "state".

>"Absolute knowledge means never having to change your mind."

Got some?  Please e-mail.  I'll summarize and post. :-)

sarge@thirdi.UUCP (Sarge Gerbode) (03/24/88)

In article <8803222016.AA27059@ai.toronto.edu> tjhorton@ai.toronto.edu
("Timothy J. Horton") writes:
>>What would qualify as an "unconscious experience"?

>Process, and/or processing constraint, perhaps.

>These would probably be experienced INdirectly.
>Much like the way a computer might come to know
>that it's swapping processes in and out so much
>that it's not getting anything done (thrashing).
>There's no "thrashing" sensor in a 68000, but
>there are ways of calculating such things from
>the observable quantities.

>I think the "unconscious experience" idea referred
>to such indirectly observable "stuff".

OK.  So something unconscious would be something that is not yet known.  And
unconscious emotion, on this scheme, would be an internal physiological state
that was not yet known but could be inferred.  But in this case, it's not
"unconscious *experience*", is it?  It's the "experience" part that's
difficult.

A better formulation of "unconscious experience" (to answer my own question),
might be like the "ground" in a figure-ground diagram.  One is aware of the
ground, in some sense, since it contributes to the perception of the figure,
yet one's attention is not focused on it.  These are instances of what I would
call "simple unawareness".

Another type of "unconscious experience" is "directed unawareness" or
repression, where one is pointedly unaware of something (like an uncomfortable
emotion).  Yet here there's a paradox, because to know where *not* to direct
one's attention, one must know *exactly* what not to look at.  So one has to
be aware of the thing in order to be directly unaware of it.  Like not
thinking of a pink elephant.

>>"Absolute knowledge means never having to change your mind."

>Got some?  Please e-mail.  I'll summarize and post. :-)

It's simple: The only piece of absolute knowledge I have is that there is no
absolute knowledge.  Socrates would be proud of me!
--

tjhorton@ai.toronto.edu ("Timothy J. Horton") (03/25/88)

In article <366@thirdi.UUCP> sarge@thirdi.UUCP (Sarge Gerbode) writes:
>>>What would qualify as an "unconscious experience"?
>
>>Process, and/or processing constraint, perhaps.
>>These would probably be experienced INdirectly.

>OK.  So something unconscious would be something that is not yet known.

No.  Some thing or event or process or change that is not DIRECTLY
detectable, nonetheless indirectly detectable, though not necessarily
ever known or knowable.

>Unconscious emotion, on this scheme, would be an internal physiological state
>that was not yet known but could be inferred.

Try this:  on your first ski trip you observe that you haven't said
anything to the gorgeous member of opposite sex sitting on the bus seat
next to you, though you normally would.  That's not an observation of some
"physiological state".  Later, on the ski hill you notice your trembling
hands and flighty stomache.  Is it fatigue, excitement, anxiety, or the
jostling your brain took on your first big fall?  Later on, in the warmth
of the lodge, you feel euphormic and can't seem to focus your attention
on anything but wild skiing exploits to come.

I really do mean *process* and *process constraint*.  I doubt you want to
say that processes ("acts" if you will) like reasoning are "physiological
states".  I doubt you want to say that process constraints like consciously
applying yourself to some mental task, or treating some task with urgency,
or responding aggressively to someone's every statement, are "phsyiological
states".

I think that most emotion is indirectly perceived.  I don't think we have
direct "happiness" sensors, or "jealousy" sensors built right in.   (Tell
me, what is your current emotional state?)  Even my introductory psychology
textbook seemed to provide firm evidence for indirect self-attribution as
far as emotions were concerned.  (apparently, smiling will make you think
you are happier, etc).