[sci.psychology] Behavior and Perception

crown@dukempd.UUCP (Rick Crownover) (03/19/88)

	A few years back I read a book titles "Behavior as the Control of
Perception" by an author named Powell or Powers.  The book considered actions
to be the result of incongruities between an inner paradigm and sensory input.
I later heard that one of the 'therapy people': Glasser, had set out to ground
his approach in neuroscience by demonstrating that Powells model accounted for
the efficacy of his 'reality therapy.'  As far as I know, the 'book' he was
writing has never appeared?
	Anyone out there know more about this?  Is this model widely accepted?
	                                  Aloha,  Rick

--
	Rick Crownover				1-919-684-8279
	Duke University Dept. of Physics	crown@dukempd.uucp

vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) (03/20/88)

In article <626@dukempd.UUCP> crown@dukempd.UUCP (Rick Crownover) writes:

>	A few years back I read a book titles "Behavior as the Control of
>Perception" by an author named Powell or Powers.

The author is William T.  Powers, title: _Behavior: the Control of
Perception_.  Powers is a somewhat-well-known Cybernetician/Systems
Scientist, and an "avante-garde" psychologist.  Another title of his is
_Control Theory, Constructivism, and Autopeisis_.

>The book considered actions
>to be the result of incongruities between an inner paradigm and sensory
input.

He takes a "constructivist" (read: sollipsistic) philosophical position,
that we "create reality as we go along." This philosophy is very popular
with cognitivists and cyberneticians, but to my mind is anti-realistic.
On this view, the interaction between input (perception, stimulus) and
existing mental structures is more important than that between input and
output (action, behavior).  That is, as we act as agents in the world,
we go about modifying our view of the world (our reality) to the extent
that the only purpose of our actions is to bring about states of
"happiness" for that very reality.

Thus, when I kick the dog, I'm not doing so to hurt the dog, but rather
to produce a *perception* (i.e.  a hurt dog) that is desirable vis a vis
my current state of belief.  Should the kick fail to produce the desired
result, I don't change my action, but rather change my view of the world
(i.e.  the belief that kicking dogs produces hurt dog perceptions).  In
this way behavior controls perception.

The truth is, of course (semi-:-)) that behavior and perception control
each other, in a "circular" (or "recursive") cybernetic (and for humans,
semantic) process.  However, Powers' observations are positive in that
they deomnstrate that there is an alternative view to the "standard"
psychology (behaviorist) paradigm of regarding organisms as inert
entities which simply "react" to stimulation (perception controlling
behavior).  If you're more interested, I could give you some quotations
from some articles of his I have.

>I later heard that one of the 'therapy people': Glasser, had set out to ground
>his approach in neuroscience by demonstrating that Powells model accounted for
>the efficacy of his 'reality therapy.'  As far as I know, the 'book' he was
>writing has never appeared?

I've heard the name Glasser, but don't know anything more.  I'd be very
interested in more information.

What's a "therapy person"?

O---------------------------------------------------------------------->
| Cliff Joslyn, Professional Cybernetician
| Systems Science Department, SUNY Binghamton, New York, but my opinions
| vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu
V All the world is biscuit shaped. . .

todd@uhccux.UUCP (The Perplexed Wiz) (03/22/88)

In article <969@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) writes:
>He takes a "constructivist" (read: sollipsistic) philosophical position,
>that we "create reality as we go along." This philosophy is very popular
>with cognitivists and cyberneticians, but to my mind is anti-realistic.
>On this view, the interaction between input (perception, stimulus) and
>existing mental structures is more important than that between input and
>output (action, behavior).  That is, as we act as agents in the world,
>we go about modifying our view of the world (our reality) to the extent
>that the only purpose of our actions is to bring about states of
>"happiness" for that very reality.

I don't know what you mean by "happiness" but there is no need to bring
into play such a factor to discuss the concept of human's modifying
their perception of the world.  Faced with ambiguous sensory information,
the various cognitive processes attempt to deal with ambiguities as best as
possible.  Often this results in "errors" that we term illusions.  Although
we are most often given examples of visual illusions, there are illusions
for other sensory modalities as well.

One demonstration of how we impose structure on our external reality can be
demonstrated by listening to a long taped loop of the word "at" repeated
for a long period of time..

	at-at-at-at-at-at-at

After a while, you will start to hear other "words" like "bat", "cat",
"mat" and even nonsense words like "zat."  It is even possible to "control"
what "words" you hear.

An everyday example of how we create "reality" for ourselves is the
filling-in process going on all the time to fill the gap left by the blind
spot in each eye where the fibers on the retina collect at go to the brain.
It is not the case that the other eye feeds the necessary information.  You
can test this by simply closing one eye and looking around the world.
Unless, you suffer from some other abnormality, you should NOT see a dark
hole where your blind spot is.  Instead the visual world should appear full
filled in.  You can "see" your blind spot by holding your right index
finger out perpendicular to your arm at arms length.  While closing
your left eye and fixating your eye on some straight ahead spot, move
your finger from the periphery of your vision slowly from the side of
your body to the area in front of your face.  At some point as you move
your finger toward the area in front of your face, your fingertip will
appear to disappear.  But, and this is the important part, there is no
black whole where the tip of your finger should be.  Instead, there is what
you might call a synthesized representation of the world based on an
interpolation of the information provided by other information nearby the
blind spot.

There are countless examples of how the human sensory system plays an
active role in creating a representation of reality.  We are not simply
passive sensation gathering devices.  We take in information and modify it
based on past experience, current information, various physiological
states, etc.  ...todd

--
Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii Faculty Development Program
UUCP:		{ihnp4,uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!todd

mmt@dciem.UUCP (Martin Taylor) (03/27/88)

Even now, 26 years later, I can still recommend "The Behavioral Basis
of Perception" by James G Taylor (no relation), Yale UP 1962.  The thesis
is that ALL perception can be derived from the possibility of distinctive
behavior to aspects of the stimulus set, and it is ONLY through these
distinctions that anything is perceived.  JG later accepted my proposal
that the input could be the result of self-teaching in a connectionist
net (The problem of stimulus structure in the behavioral theory of
perception, M.M.Taylor, S. African J of Psychology, 3, 1973, 23-45),
but his principles still seem largely valid.
--

Martin Taylor
...uunet!dciem!mmt