[net.micro] DAK's 1200 Baud Modem

kevin@harvard.UUCP (Kevin Crowston) (11/24/85)

I recently purchased a 1200 baud standalone modem from DAK for $175,
which makes it the cheapest modem I could find.  I ordered it over the
phone, charging it, and it arrived about 16 days later by UPS.  (I
still haven't gotten the VISA bill.)

The modem is actually made by ADC and looks pretty much like any other
1200 baud modem: it has an RS232 plug, two modular phone jacks and a
power switch on the back and a bunch of lights on the front.  It's Hayes
compatible (actually, it supports a superset:  for example, it can tell
if the phone was busy, and if it was, will redial every 30 seconds,
can talk to the phone at 300 baud and the terminal at 1200, has a
built-in clock, etc.) and works fine with, for example, MacTerminal
(in fact, I'm using it now).  I don't know how else you can measure
the performance of a modem; if it works, it works.

The documentation is very complete, and includes, for example,
chapters explaining data communication, the role of a modem, what the
lines in an RS232 connector do, etc.  I had no trouble setting the
thing up; in fact, it worked straight out of the box.  (Therefore, I
don't know how DAK is about repairs or returns, although they do have
a 30 day return policy.)

The only discrepency I've noticed so far is minor:  the modem has help
screens so you can be reminded of the commands if you don't have the
manual.  On this modem, however, only one of the help screens ever
appears.  I don't consider this a big problem, but it might account
for the low price.

I summary, if you're in the market for a 1200 baud modem, look at the
one DAK offers (they call it a 1200 Baud Smart Duck and it's order
number 4334).

DAK's address:

	DAK Industries Incorporated
	8200 Remmet Ave.
	Canoga Park, CA   91304

Order Line:

	1-800-325-0800

Kevin Crowston
MIT Sloan School of Management

kevin%mit-sloan.mit.edu@mit-mc.arpa
kevin@harvard.{arpa, uucp}
--

Kevin Crowston				UUCP: {seismo,ut-sally}!harvard!kevin
MIT Sloan School of Management		ARPA: kevin@harvard.ARPA

tim@ISM780B.UUCP (11/26/85)

> I recently purchased a 1200 baud standalone modem from DAK for $175,
> which makes it the cheapest modem I could find.  I ordered it over the

Doesn't anyone read the ads in BYTE magazine?  The Anchor Automation
Volksmodem 12 has been selling in the $180 or less price range for
months.  I don't know why people are buying weird modems made by
companies no one has ever heard of, when a perfectly reasonable
modem is available at the same price ( Actually, add a few bucks to
the Volksmodem price for cabling.  They use a 5 pin DIN instead
of a DB-25 ).

					Tim Smith
					ima!ism780!tim
					ihnp4!cithep!tim

oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicious Oyster) (11/29/85)

In article <25800005@ISM780B.UUCP> tim@ISM780B.UUCP writes:
>> I recently purchased a 1200 baud standalone modem from DAK for $175,
>> which makes it the cheapest modem I could find.  I ordered it over the
>
>Doesn't anyone read the ads in BYTE magazine?  The Anchor Automation
>Volksmodem 12 has been selling in the $180 or less price range for
>months.  I don't know why people are buying weird modems made by
>companies no one has ever heard of, when a perfectly reasonable
>modem is available at the same price ( Actually, add a few bucks...

   That "weird company no one has ever heard of" is a subsidiary of BSR.
Ever hear of BSR?  I have.  Anchor Automation?  Who are they?  (I guess I
should start reading BYTE magazine.)

Note: DAK is a company that buys up overstocks, things manufactured in
unattractive cases, etc., then sells them to us non-trendy types who don't
mind having tacky pink electronic equipment.  The modem in question is made
by ADC, reportedly a subsidiary of BSR.  Incidentally, the modem *isn't* pink.

 - Joel ({allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster)