[sci.psychology] High I.Q., etc.

t-peterl@microsoft.UUCP (Peter Labon) (03/30/88)

First: I just wrote an xxAT test and I think they suck, even though I think
	I did well.

I do not believe in xxAT tests measuring what they _ideally_ should
but I can't make them go away, or more importantly replace them with
something that works, for the intended goal of measuring aptitude
(w.r.t. the subject and not test test-taking).

However, reading the High-I.Q. society bashing (as I like to call it)
I find little insinuations from the bashers, regarding their superior
intelligence, such as (use childish tone, e.g. Nanny, nanny boo boo)
"I'm so smart I was exempted from xxAT tests" (not a quote, just
quoted). An even worse one went along the lines of "I did better
than you on the test [a test previously stated as not proving much
about a person's ability]" (not a quote, but childish tone still works).

Virtue is a reward unto itself (or something like that): If you're
going to say that xxAT tests are not a fair representation of
someone's intelligence, don't follow it up with ".. but if
they were, I did well on them, so I still am intelligent"

Let's cut the baby ego talk and show some strength of conviction.

On a less cutting note: does anyone know (especially in the land of academia)
what the popular attitude toward xxAT tests is? i.e. how important
are these marks in getting into a reputable school. I assume that
a _good_ (how do you measure this?) school would just glance
at them in order to determine whether or not they differed greatly
from the rest of the "evidence".

I agree that smarter is better (in today's world), but was
is smarter? How do you
measure it? It seems that people have been trying to address
these questions for a long time, but haven't quite succeeded.
This, however, does not mean that the people who are trying
(really trying, as opposed to making a fast buck) should
be cut-up by the people who see that (the ones who try) haven't
succeeded (as yet). What positive ideas do the bashers have?

I'd love to hear something positive and not judging
(like this posting). If you can't laugh at yourself
who can you laugh at? (the serious types should
disregard this last paragraph - you know who you are
without the need for a test).

--Peter
t-peterl@microsoft

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (04/01/88)

In article <1346@microsoft.UUCP> t-peterl@forward.UUCP (PUT YOUR NAME HERE) writes:
>... does anyone know (especially in the land of academia)
>what the popular attitude toward xxAT tests is? i.e. how important
>are these marks in getting into a reputable school. I assume that
>a _good_ (how do you measure this?) school would just glance
>at them in order to determine whether or not they differed greatly
>from the rest of the "evidence".

My SO is currently applying to USC's (generally considered a "good" school)
MSW program.  She was told the *AT tests don't matter for getting into the
program but are very important for things like grants, scholarships and
student loans.

Disclaimer:  Above is single sample anecdotal evidence about a private
             college.  Your mileage may vary.  Void where regulated or
             prohibited by law.

--
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe, hollombe@TTI.COM)   Illegitimati Nil
Citicorp(+)TTI                                           Carborundum

humbert@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Schachter) (04/08/88)

This is an interesting newsgroup, in a way.  I read sci.math, and my
impression there is that many professors and graduate students in mathematics
contribute to the newsgroup.  The amateurs who contribute seem to be
seriously curious about some problem, and mostly they ask questions rather
than answer them.  (My impression may be laughably inaccurate, but that is
my impression.  It can certainly stand being corrected by a true professional).

So when sci.psychology was recently formed, I expected to find a newsgroup
controlled largely by professors and graduate students in psychology.  Because
of the 'sci' qualifier, I expected something like what the Monitor or the
American Psychologist would be if we could eliminate the two-thirds of the
APA membership who are clinicians, not scientists.  I also expected some
articules from seriously curious amateurs, literate, clear-thinking, and
moderately well-prepared, who are more interested in asking questions than in
answering them.

Apparently, however, there are more people who feel qualified to utter an
opinion in psychology, than who feel qualified to utter an opinion in
mathematics, or physics, or biology.  I guess people think something similar
to, "I have some valuable insights into human nature, because I'm a sensitive
and perceptive fellow, so why should I defer to someone who just runs rats
through mazes all day long?  My opinion is just a valid as his."

So I'm about to unsubscribe to this newsgroup (I hope none of you takes this
personally -- it was the other guy's articles), but I have a crucial question
to ask this newsgroup before I go.  You see, one of the many disappointing
discussions I have read in this newsgroup concerns I.Q. societies.  I have
learned about Mensa, Triple-Nines, Cincinnatus, and the Four-Sigma Society
(I had heard about Mensa before; I had never heard of any of the others).
This I.Q. discussion has unburied an old memory about a society called DENSA.
DENSA is a society for dense people, and I would very much like to join this
society.  Of course, I cannot be sure that I will qualify.  You have to take
a test to be admitted, just like Mensa.  I recall a sample question from the
DENSA qualifying examination:

	    6) What are the numbers from 1 to 10 and the letters
	       from A to F? (Hint: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 A B C D E F)

My question, then, is: Where is DENSA?  Do any of you people know?  Please,
someone, send me their address or telephone number, so I can contact them and
arrange to be admitted into their society, and then I can carry around my
membership card with me, and also list it in my Curriculam Vita under
"Association Memberships".  Please send the information directly to me, because
it is unlikely that I will see it if you post it to sci.psychology (unless you
cross-post it to sci.math).  But feel free to start a netnews discussion about
it also, if you like.

I thank you all in advance.

					Jay Shachter

					...ihnp4!ihlpa!humbert

					humbert@ihlpa.att.com

grady@Apple.COM (Grady Ward) (04/09/88)

     I am disappointed that Mr. Schacter chooses to boycott this
news group rather than make further contributions in order to make it
better.  Although he cites the "hi-Q club" debate as one of the silly
muddlings which has tormented him, he neglects to give specific
examples of malignant ignorance so that propagators of such drivel,
such as myself, can potentially correct our error.
     It seems to me to be supremely ironic that, while Mr. Schacter
removes the collimator from his flamer by his simple parody of hi-Q
clubs' entrance requirements ("Densa"), he does not see that one of
the biggest reasons for having entrance requirements, just as for
moderated newsgroups, is to pre-empt the protected discussion from
this kind of meta-criticism.  In other words, it seems that Mr.
Schacter is more comfortable in freely flaming people, apparently
more sensitive than himself, that he is in permitting unmolested
association of those people through a set of entrance filters.
     As we enter the nineties, it appears that the most fundamental
problem that mathematicians and scientists, including psychological
scientists, will have to overcome is the problem of  incorporating
uncertainty into their theories while not regressing into superstition or
personality cults -- just as Physics had to in dealing with quantum
mechanics in the 20's.  The naive realism of "proof" and "scientific
method" are insufficiently powerful to deal with, for example,
problems of Bayesian versus standard statistics or of the nature of
human intelligence and its relationship to democratic principles.
Similarly, dismissing non-experimental psychology as a priori
worthless or insignificant appears to be simply parochial and as
laughable as Aristotelian science became during the late middle ages.
     I hope Mr. Schacter continues to explore, contribute, and to
criticize when warranted, but I think we all should expect that that
criticism, just like the other axes of theory-building, requires a
reasonably explicit description of one's standards and assumptions
before taking it too seriously.  Parody is a cheap shot because it's too
easy to do.
     For a free copy of the Cincinnatus Society Journal, which
offers extremely gifted people a pleasant conversation among people
with like opportunities and concerns, write to 380 N. Bayview Ave.,
Sunnyvale, CA  94086.  Or e-mail grady@apple.

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (04/09/88)

In article <7599@ihlpa.ATT.COM> humbert@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Schachter) writes:
>... So when sci.psychology was recently formed, I expected to find a newsgroup
>controlled largely by professors and graduate students in psychology.  Because
>of the 'sci' qualifier, I expected something like what the Monitor or the
>American Psychologist would be if we could eliminate the two-thirds of the
>APA membership who are clinicians, not scientists.  ...
			^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume your are merely ignorant
or misinformed.  I have a master's degree in clinical psychology.  To earn
it I had to pass graduate level courses in, among other things,
statistical analysis and experimental design.  I had to write bachelor's
and master's theses that were refereed by experts in those subjects.  I
consider myself every bit as much a scientist as someone with an
equivalent degree in physics or mathematics.

>This I.Q. discussion has unburied an old memory about a society called DENSA.
>DENSA is a society for dense people, and I would very much like to join this
>society.  ...

It's a pleasure to meet someone who knows their limitations. (-:{

>... My question, then, is: Where is DENSA?  ...

I don't think you intended this seriously, but I'll answer it anyway.
Densa is a joke.  It was originally invented by Mensans as a fictional
society admitting only those whose IQs fall at or below the 2nd
percentile.  A few years ago someone gained some brief publicity by
actually founding such an organization, though they loosened the
requirements to include anyone who didn't qualify for Mensa.  I don't know
where you can find them, or if they still exist.  It's amusing to note
that they can only exist as a reflection of Mensa, thus providing an extra
source of publicity for the high-IQ organizations.

--

rmpinchback@dahlia.waterloo.edu (Reid M. Pinchback) (04/09/88)

In article <1346@microsoft.UUCP> t-peterl@forward.UUCP (PUT YOUR NAME HERE) writes:

>On a less cutting note: does anyone know (especially in the land of academia)
>what the popular attitude toward xxAT tests is? i.e. how important
>are these marks in getting into a reputable school. I assume that
>a _good_ (how do you measure this?) school would just glance
>at them in order to determine whether or not they differed greatly
>from the rest of the "evidence".

   Though I don't know the attitude re: xxAT tests, some schools have their
own versions of such tests.  The math department here at U of Waterloo uses
their Descartes exams to HELP screen 1st-year entry students, particularly
in allowing them automatic entrance to advance-honours level courses.  They
know the limitations of such tests, but they are in a good position to
control the design of the test and check its relevance to the variables that
they are interested in.  In particular, it helps them adjust for differing
qualities of Ontario high schools.

   I doubt that an xxAT exam would ever be so applicable to anything.  Its
like trying to use government statistics for marketing research.  Census
questionnaires are designed to answer different questions than most
research problems imply, thus different data is collected (and in a different
way).  I suspect the same problems with xxAT tests, particularly when applied
to students leaving high-school to enter college/university.  Those students
will be shifting to a different learning environment.  From my own
experiences as a student (good and bad), I suspect that other variables than
aptitude might be more relevant.  Good work/study habits is something that
comes to mind.  I've seen SO many B-level high school students outperform
the A-level high school students in 1st year programs.  I suspect that the
A-level students found high school easy and never had to work.  B-level
students had to sweat blood for their marks and don't take them for granted.
Conversations with students seem to bear this out, though this isn't
conclusive obviously.

   If anybody is up on education research, do they have anything more
conclusive to add to that hypothesis?

       Reid M. Pinchback

average