[net.micro] HP Thinkjet

DEP%SLACVM.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu (11/23/85)

Date: 23 November 1985, 07:39:28 PST
From: Don Pelton                (415) 854-3300 x2901 DEP      at SLACVM
To:   INFO-IBMPC at USC-ISIB.ARPA
Subject: HP Thinkjet

Has anyone had a problem with a clogged jet, so that characters appear to
have a horizontal line of dots uniformly missing? We've heard a rumor that
there may be a home remedy for this problem. Does anyone know what it
might be?

* Don Pelton, Stanford Linear Accelerator Center, Stanford, Calif.  *
* Bitnet: DEP@SLACVM          Arpa: DEPS%SLACVM.BITNET@wiscvm.ARPA  *

ins_ayjk@jhunix.UUCP (Young Je Koh) (11/25/85)

> Date: 23 November 1985, 07:39:28 PST
> From: Don Pelton                (415) 854-3300 x2901 DEP      at SLACVM
> To:   INFO-IBMPC at USC-ISIB.ARPA
> Subject: HP Thinkjet
>
> Has anyone had a problem with a clogged jet, so that characters appear to
> have a horizontal line of dots uniformly missing? We've heard a rumor that
> there may be a home remedy for this problem. Does anyone know what it
> might be?
>

> *-------------------------------------------------------------------*
> * Don Pelton, Stanford Linear Accelerator Center, Stanford, Calif.  *
> * Bitnet: DEP@SLACVM          Arpa: DEPS%SLACVM.BITNET@wiscvm.ARPA  *
> *-------------------------------------------------------------------*

On the rear or the ink cartridge, you'll notice a small hole.  Take a paper
clip, push it into the hole, and pump the black sack inside the plastic
shell until some ink comes out the front end.  Then take a tissue and dry
off the front.  This trick should work.  I had the same problem and called
up an authorized dealer.  That was the solution given by them.

Young Koh at Johns Hopkins University
Bitnet: ins_ayjk@jhunix

abm@ptsfa.UUCP (Al Margolis) (11/25/85)

> Has anyone had a problem with a clogged jet ...

Unfortunately, this is a standard problem with the thinkjet.  The solution is
inelegant but simple: (1) remove the cartridge, (2) use an unfolded paper
clip to squeeze the ink sack (there is a hole in back for this) until ink
flows through the jets, (3) wipe the jet surface with an absorbant tissue
until relatively clean (note: one direction of wiping seems to smear, while
the other direction cleans with one or two wipes), and (4) replace the
cartridge.  My last order from HP included these general directions.

DISCUSSION:  Is this an indication of a design flaw, or a necessary
trade-off in producing an ink-jet at this price?  I hear that Epson has
a self-priming cartridge ... any experience out there?

Al Margolis     {dual, ihnp4} !ptsfa!abm
Pacific Bell    415-542-2073

Disclaimer .. Disclaimer .. [ I don't even represent me anymore ! ]

farren@well.UUCP (Mike Farren) (11/26/85)

In article <12@brl-tgr.ARPA>, DEP%SLACVM.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu writes:
> Has anyone had a problem with a clogged jet, so that characters appear to
> have a horizontal line of dots uniformly missing? We've heard a rumor that
> there may be a home remedy for this problem. Does anyone know what it
> might be?

   Well, hoping this gets to the right place......   The solution is simple,
just remove the cartridge and <<GENTLY>> wipe the face of the cartridge with
a piece of soft tissue.  This has cured my clogged jet problems every
time.

--
           Mike Farren
           uucp: {dual, hplabs}!well!farren

cjn@drune.UUCP (NetterCJ) (11/26/85)

1) (After you have unplugged your cartridge, ) try not leaving the printer
   on all the time.  When the printer powers up, it will run a test "squirt"
   of the jet onto the blotter at the far left of the carriage.  Mine works
   great in the morning, but by mid-afternoon, it needs a half a line to
   clear up.

2) To unclog your jet.
   a) remove it.
   b) using a blunt object, push on the back of the ink bladder until ink flows
      from all the openings in the front.
   c) wipe ink from the front
   d) replace cartridge.
   e) go wash your hands.

Hope this helps

Chris Netter
AT&T
Denver, Colorado
drune!cjn

jabusch@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU (11/26/85)

	There are two things you can do for this.  The first is to wipe
the face of the cartridge carefully with a damp paper towel.  This
should soften up the dryink that's clogging the tiny jets.  If this
doesn't work, the next step is to straighten out a paperclip and stick
one end of it into the back end of the cartridge and press on the
bladder while holding a paper towel against the front of the cartridge
to avoid spilling ink.  You don't have to press too hard, but if it
doesn't work the first time, try it again...  The bladders in the
Thinkjet cartridges are relatively sturdy.
	In my experience I don't usually have to resort to the paperclip,
but on a few occasions I have, and it always works.  By the way, these
methods were recommended to me by our HP Rep!  Apparently they have run
into the asme problem themselves.  It only happens to me when the printer
sits for several weeks without being used.

John W. Jabusch
U.S. Mail:
	Department of Computer Science
	Room 230 Digital Computer Laboratory
	1304 West Springfield Avenue
	Urbana, IL 61801

        CSNET:	jabusch%uiuc@csnet-relay.ARPA
	UUCP:	{ihnp4,convex,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!jabusch
        USENET:	...!{pur-ee,ihnp4}!uiucdcs!jabusch
        ARPA:	jabusch@uiuc.arpa

spear@ihopb.UUCP (Steven Spearman) (11/28/85)

Sometimes when wiping the face of the inkjet cartidge does
not do the trick, you can insert a paper clip end or other
thin pole into the hole in the back of the cartridge and
gently push the ink sack until some ink comes out of the
face.  This has saved several cartidges for me - it is shown
in the manual but is not mentioned in the troubleshooting section.

Steve Spearman  ihnp4!ihopb!spear

johnl@ima.UUCP (12/01/85)

A friend with a ThinkJet makes the following suggestion:  If you poke a
paper clip or something in the hole in the back of the ink cartridge, there
is some danger of poking a hole in the ink sack.  Just blow firmly into the
hole, then wipe the ink off the front -- works fine with less danger of
damage.

John Levine, ima!johnl

PS:  Note that the ink is blown away from your face.