[sci.psychology] Wanted: references to computer mouse usage studies

spf@whuts.ATT.COM (Steve Frysinger of Blue Feather Farm) (11/30/88)

Can anyone point me to published empirical studies of computer
mouse usage?  In going through my collection of proceedings and
anthologies, I was surprised that I didn't find anything about
this topic. Surely, someone has undertaken a human factors
study of the little creatures.  Thanks for the help!

Steve Frysinger

klee@daisy.UUCP (Ken Lee) (12/01/88)

In article <5119@whuts.ATT.COM> (Steve Frysinger of Blue Feather Farm) writes:
>Can anyone point me to published empirical studies of computer
>mouse usage?

S. Card, W. English & B. Burr, "Evaluation of Mouse, Rate-Controlled
Isometric Joystick, Step Keys, and Text Keys for Text Selection on a
CRT", *Ergonomics*, Vol. 21, No. 8, 1978, p. 601-613.

J. Karat, J. McDonald & M. Anderson, "A Comparison of Menu Selection
Techniques:  Touch Panel, Mouse, and Keyboard", *International Journal of
Man-Machine Studies*, vol. 25, no. 1, 1986, p. 73-88.

Enjoy.

Ken Lee
Daisy Systems Corp., Interactive Graphics Tools Dept.

--
uucp:  uunet!daisy!klee		arpanet:  daisy!klee@uunet.uu.net

"DC6 which is being used for Contra weapons supply runs out of New Orleans is
probably being used for drug runs into U.S." - Oliver North, August, 1985

STAT02@YaleVM.YCC.Yale.Edu (12/13/88)

In article <5119@whuts.ATT.COM>, spf@whuts.ATT.COM (Steve Frysinger of Blue Feather Farm) writes:

>Can anyone point me to published empirical studies of computer
>mouse usage?

Sorry, can't point you to any published empirical studies, but I can
relate the results of an unpublished casual study undertaken while on
duty as a computer consultant. It has been my experience that females
more frequently take a longer time to become comfortable using a mouse.
(whether this has a cultural or biological basis, I don't know, and
frankly my dear, I don't give a damn :-). I was also struck, in a set of
letters published in one of those glossy trade journals on the sins /
virtues of mouse usage, that a larger percentage of the cons were from
females. I'll go hunt through my boxes of clippings to see if I can dig
this reference up...

John Kochmer / Dept. Biology / Yale Univ. / New Haven, CT
STAT02@YALEVM or KOCHMER@YALEVM (both BITNET)

andrea@hp-sdd.HP.COM (Andrea K. Frankel) (12/14/88)

In article <148@YaleVM.YCC.Yale.Edu> STAT02@YaleVM.YCC.Yale.Edu writes:
>It has been my experience that females
>more frequently take a longer time to become comfortable using a mouse.
>(whether this has a cultural or biological basis, I don't know, and
>frankly my dear, I don't give a damn :-). I was also struck, in a set of
>letters published in one of those glossy trade journals on the sins /
>virtues of mouse usage, that a larger percentage of the cons were from
>females.

I'd be interested in seeing more on this.  As a formerly_rodent_avoidant
female, my objections were

1)  I type well and quickly (tested at 120 wpm some years back) and
therefore am more comfortable with keyboard-oriented tools (such as vi)
than with mouse-oriented ones (such as Windows Write).

2)  the assignment of operations to mouse buttons is far from
standardized, and changes from tool to tool and environment to
environment.

3)  the mouse is physically uncomfortable to use for any length of time.

What changed my mind?  MS Windows and the HP HIL mouse.  This mouse has
a large dome on which to rest the palm, making it more comfortable
(especially for small hands).  MSWindows, while it has its problems,
makes it simple to learn the mappings of mouse actions (probably because
it only uses one button, and the meaning of single and double click is
consistent across applications).  I learned that system much more
quickly than the X interface's window manager.

Also, the convention in MS Windows of having "accelerators" (enabling
one to type sequences of <alt>(letter)+ to simulate mouse access to the
pulldown menus, and function key mappings built in for common functions
such as "find next") leaves it up to the user as to how much they use
the mouse vs. how much they type.  I can attain greater speeds using
a combination of mouse and keyboard than using either predominantly.

There was a blurb in the newspaper recently, and also in Science News I
believe, reporting that the spatial-vs-verbal skill tradeoff varied in
women according to their hormonal levels in a regular monthly cycle.  It
would be interesting to try "mouse acceptance tests" on non-mouse-using
women and see if there was any correlation with where they were in their
menstrual cycle!

Andrea Frankel, Hewlett-Packard (San Diego Division) (619) 592-4664
                "...I brought you a paddle for your favorite canoe."
UUCP     : {hplabs|nosc|hpfcla|ucsd}!hp-sdd!andrea
Internet : andrea%hp-sdd@hp-sde.sde.hp.com
                    (or @hplabs.hp.com, @nosc.mil, @ucsd.edu)
USnail   : 16399 W. Bernardo Drive, San Diego CA 92127-1899 USA

reggie@pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) (12/15/88)

In article <1761@hp-sdd.HP.COM> andrea@hp-sdd.UUCP (Andrea K. Frankel) writes:

>3)  the mouse is physically uncomfortable to use for any length of time.

>What changed my mind?  MS Windows and the HP HIL mouse.  This mouse has
>a large dome on which to rest the palm, making it more comfortable
>(especially for small hands).

    Yes!  The mouse on the Blit (Commercial Version -> Teletype DMD 5620)
was also dome shaped, with the mour buttons located on side rather than
top (near the tail).  It fit nicely into the palm of my hand.  However, for
people with long fingers, it may not have been so comfortable.

     I find that most often I grasp the mouse (on a Sun 3/60) on the sides
with my thumb and the pinky *and* ring finger.  The reason for this is that
by only using the pinky on one side, I feel fatigue in that finger very
quickly.  However, this means that one of the fingers used to depress a
mouse button, assuming a three button mouse, must server two purposes:
to help the pinky and then depress one of the mouse buttons.  Otherwise,
one must use the middle finger to cover two mouse buttons.

--
George W. Leach					Paradyne Corporation
..!uunet!pdn!reggie				Mail stop LG-129

duncan@geppetto.ctt.bellcore.com (Scott Duncan) (12/15/88)

In article <5139@pdn.UUCP> reggie@pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) writes:

>     I find that most often I grasp the mouse (on a Sun 3/60) on the sides
>with my thumb and the pinky *and* ring finger.  The reason for this is that
>by only using the pinky on one side, I feel fatigue in that finger very
>quickly.  However, this means that one of the fingers used to depress a
>mouse button, assuming a three button mouse, must server two purposes:
>to help the pinky and then depress one of the mouse buttons.  Otherwise,
>one must use the middle finger to cover two mouse buttons.

I find, for what it's worth, that I hold the mouse as George describes but
tend to use my index finger for the middle and left buttons and the middle
finger only for the left one.  On the other hand, I am not doing many things
that require lots of mouse activity.  (At home on my Mac, I do a lot and I
believe my two-finger approach has been ingrained by the one-button mouse.)

Speaking only for myself, of course, I am...
Scott P. Duncan (duncan@ctt.bellcore.com OR ...!bellcore!ctt!duncan)
                (Bellcore, 444 Hoes Lane  RRC 1H-210, Piscataway, NJ  08854)
                (201-699-3910 (w)   201-463-3683 (h))