[sci.psychology] David's Last Wish

gcf@actnyc.UUCP (Gordon Fitch) (12/19/88)

The more information that comes out about this, the more
interesting it becomes.  Evidently there are several layers
of deception, self- and otherwise; it would probably take
a full-time private detective to get to the bottom of it.

Since the factual basis of both the original story and the
debunkings of it are so hazy, I think we must assume that we
are in the presence of a myth in the making.  I wish the
latest original poster, R. Buttafogo, would answer my query
as to his or her motivations, because we might see something
of the process by which this sort of thing comes about.  But
then, there's the possibility that R. Buttafogo doesn't exist
or someone else was using the ID pseudonomously.

It's evident that there's a great need out there to believe in
this "David" so that cards can be collected and little projects
run off in his name.  Yet in just about every community where
this is taking place, there are real, live sick children who
not only could receive cards but benefit from other, less
remote forms of attention.  Why is unreal "David" so much more
attractive than these real persons?  Is it _because_of_ his
unreality and remoteness?

brucer@drutx.ATT.COM (Bruce W. Robinson) (12/21/88)

In article <1099@actnyc.UUCP>, gcf@actnyc.UUCP (Gordon Fitch) writes:

> [ stuff about self-deception ]
>
> .....  I wish the latest original poster, R. Buttafogo,
> would answer my query as to his or her motivations, etc.....
>
> [ more stuff about self-deception ]

Reference the name R. Buttafogo, a thought:  There is a beach about
ten miles south of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil named Botafogo, and a
street in Ipanema named Rua Botafogo; interesting psuedonym???

Given the psychology of a believable idea, I doubt if it's possible
to stop this stupidity once it gets started.  People are such children
that they (we) will believe anything; this combines in deadly fashion
with the desire to care about the things we believe, and the desire to
have other people care about the things we care about.  This David drool,
the poison Holloween candy drool, AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!
is there no way to stop ?????????  I'm a 46 year-old person and I swear I
still catch myself not stepping on the cracks in the sidewalk.

    66

     ^      .....brucer

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (01/05/89)

Someday, some dying little kid is going to really get the idea of trying
to get the most postcards ( maybe by hearing about one of these hoaxes ).
The poor kid is going to kick the bucket without a single postcard 'cause
everyone will think it's another hoax!

						Tim Smith