[sci.psychology] Free will and responsibility.

cam@edai.ed.ac.uk (Chris Malcolm cam@uk.ac.ed.edai 031 667 1011 x2550) (06/01/89)

In article <54737@linus.UUCP> bwk@mbunix (Barry Kort) writes:
>In article <386@edai.ed.ac.uk> cam@edai (Chris Malcolm) writes:
>
> > In fact, the reason why I sometimes fail to
> > exercise my free choice to do the Right and Proper thing
> > is that I sometimes lose control of myself, and am overcome
> > by the determinism of some animal greed...
>
>Yeah, that happens to me too.  Now and then my cerebral cortex
>and my limbic system get into a contest and my rational mind
>yields control to my pre-wired instincts.

A notion I recall from school biology was that we have three nested
brains: a lizard's brain, which provided the instincts and passions; a
mammal's brain, which provided the emotions and moral feelings; and the
cerebral thingy, which provided rational thought, pedantry, etc.. Before
I get too taken with this notion, would anybody like to slander it?
--
Chris Malcolm    cam@uk.ac.ed.edai   031 667 1011 x2550
Department of Artificial Intelligence, Edinburgh University