[sci.psychology] navigating through menus with colour

davet@hfserver.hfnet.bt.co.uk (David Travis) (06/01/89)

One problem with menu-driven interfaces is that they encourage users to
be lazy: if you ask them to recall the options on a pull-down menu,
performance is very poor. Options are recalled by their approximate
spatial position in the menu. A prediction from this would be that
colour-coding menu items would improve search times. Has there been any
work produced on navigating through menus using colour as a cue?

gilbert@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Gilbert Cockton) (06/05/89)

In article <572@hfserver.hfnet.bt.co.uk> davet@hfserver.hfnet.bt.co.uk (David Travis) writes:
>One problem with menu-driven interfaces is that they encourage users to
>be lazy: if you ask them to recall the options on a pull-down menu,
>performance is very poor.

Why is this a problem?  Look at Mayes et al's HCI88 paper where the
poor memorisation was true of expert users for MacWrite.

If users can be expert, without remembering, how can this be a
problem?

The aim of HCI is to let people work, not to make them work.

Not having to remember is a feature of a good user interface.
--
Gilbert Cockton, Department of Computing Science,  The University, Glasgow
	gilbert@uk.ac.glasgow.cs <europe>!ukc!glasgow!gilbert

mejanzen@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Michael E. Janzen) (06/06/89)

In article <572@hfserver.hfnet.bt.co.uk>, davet@hfserver.hfnet.bt.co.uk (David Travis) writes:
> One problem with menu-driven interfaces is that they encourage users to
> be lazy: if you ask them to recall the options on a pull-down menu,
> performance is very poor. Options are recalled by their approximate
> spatial position in the menu. A prediction from this would be that
> colour-coding menu items would improve search times. Has there been any
> work produced on navigating through menus using colour as a cue?

I am taking part in research on that topic.  It appears that colour is more
effective than position in improving speed and accuracy of character
recognition, but combing the two is particularly effective.

--
Edison  -- a socially aware engineer.
"If you're not an engineer, just what good are you?" -- UW engsoc.

perlman@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Gary Perlman) (06/06/89)

In article <572@hfserver.hfnet.bt.co.uk> davet@hfserver.hfnet.bt.co.uk (David Travis) writes:
>One problem with menu-driven interfaces is that they encourage users to
>be lazy: if you ask them to recall the options on a pull-down menu,
>performance is very poor. Options are recalled by their approximate
>spatial position in the menu. A prediction from this would be that
>colour-coding menu items would improve search times. Has there been any
>work produced on navigating through menus using colour as a cue?

Sid Smith did several empirical studies of color coding in the early 60's.
In his (with Jane Mosier) guidelines on user interface design, he discusses
the use of color in general displays, of which menus would be one case.
The following report, compiled with NaviText SAM, a hypertext interface to
the guidelines, gives advice and references on the topic of color coding.

NaviText SAM* Report

Title:                    Color Coding
Number of Guidelines:     9
Preparer:                 Gary Perlman
Report Date:              Tue Jun 06 1989

Authorized User:          Gary Perlman
Authorized Site:          Ohio State University

Source:                   Smith, Sidney L., & Mosier, Jane. N.
                          Guidelines for Designing User Interface Software
                          MITRE Corporation, Bedford MA 01730
Report:                   ESD-TR-86-278 MTR-10090

Report Generation:        Northern Lights Software Corporation
                          24A Pilgrim Drive, Box 1056, Westford, MA 01886 USA
                          (508) 692-3600

*NaviText is a trademark of Northern Lights Software Corporation

2 DATA DISPLAY
  2.6    Coding
    2.6/26   *      Color Coding for Data Categories
    2.6/27   *      +  Easily Discriminable Colors
    2.6/28   *      +  Conservative Use of Color
    2.6/29   *      +  Adding Color to Formatted Displays
    2.6/30   *      +  Redundant Color Coding
    2.6/31   *      +  Unique Assignment of Color Codes
    2.6/32   *      +  Conventional Assignment of Color Codes
    2.6/33   *      +  Brightness and Saturation to Draw Attention
    2.6/34   *      +  Saturated Blue for Background Color

2 DATA DISPLAY
  2.6    Coding
    2.6/26   *      Color Coding for Data Categories
        When a user must distinguish rapidly among several discrete categories
        of data, particularly when data items are dispersed on a display,
        consider using a unique color to display the data in each category.
      Example
        Different colors might be used effectively in a situation display to
        distinguish friendly, unknown, and hostile aircraft tracks, or
        alternatively to distinguish among aircraft in different altitude zones.
      Comment
        Color is a good auxiliary code, where a multicolor display capability is
        available.  A color code can be overlaid directly on alphanumerics and
        other symbols without significantly obscuring them.  Color coding
        permits rapid scanning and perception of patterns and relationships
        among dispersed data items.
      Comment
        Perhaps as many as 11 different colors might be reliably distinguished,
        or even more for trained observers.  As a practical matter, however, it
        will prove safer to use no more than five different colors for category
        coding.
      Comment
        With some display equipment now providing millions of different colors,
        designers may be tempted to exploit that capability by using many
        different colors for coding.  The capability to display many colors may
        be useful for depicting complex objects, and for providing tonal codes
        to show the relative values of a single variable.  However, such a
        capability is not useful for coding discrete categories, except that it
        may allow a designer to select more carefully the particular colors to
        be used as codes.
      Reference
        BB = Brown, C. M., Brown, D. B., Burkleo, H. V., Mangelsdorf, J. E.,
        Olsen, R. A., and Perkins, R. D. (1983, June 15).  Human Factors
        Engineering Standards for Information Processing Systems (LMSC-D877141).
        Sunnyvale, CA: Lockheed Missiles and Space Company.

        EG = Engel, S. E., and Granda, R. E. (1975, December).  Guidelines for
        Man/Display Interfaces (Technical Report TR 00.2720).  Poughkeepsie, NY:
        IBM.

        MS = MIL-STD-1472C, Revised.  (1983, 1 September).  Military Standard:
        Human Engineering Design Criteria for Military System, Equipment and
        Facilities.  Washington, DC: Department of Defense.

        Smith, S. L. (1962b).  Color coding and visual search.  Journal of
        Experimental Psychology, 64, 434-440.

        Smith, S. L. (1963a).  Color coding and visual separability in
        information displays.  Journal of Applied Psychology, 47, 358-364.

        Smith, S. L., and Thomas, D. W. (1964).  Color versus shape coding in
        information displays.  Journal of Applied Psychology, 48, 137-146.

        Smith, S. L., Farquhar, B. B., and Thomas, D. W. (1965).  Color coding
        in formatted displays.  Journal of Applied Psychology, 49, 393-398.

2 DATA DISPLAY
  2.6    Coding
    2.6/27   *      +  Easily Discriminable Colors
        When selecting colors for coding discrete categories of data, ensure
        that those colors are easily discriminable.
      Example
        On a light background, a good choice of colors might be red, dark
        yellow, green, blue and black; on a dark background, good colors might
        be a somewhat desaturated red, green and blue, plus yellow and white.
      Comment
        The harder it is for a user to identify a displayed color, the less
        useful will be the color code.  If many colors are used, colors will be
        closer in hue and harder to discriminate.  If color coding is applied to
        symbols that subtend small visual angles, which makes color perception
        difficult, there will be a special need to limit the number of colors
        used.
      Comment
        Varying saturation and intensity in addition to hue may increase the
        discriminability of colors.  For instance, on a dark background a
        designer might select a saturated yellow but a desaturated red.
      Comment
        Colors selected for coding should be tested with users to ensure that
        they are easily discriminable.  Testing should be conducted under
        realistic conditions, since such factors as display type and ambient
        room lighting will affect color perception.  If colors will be used for
        displaying text, care should be taken to ensure that colored letters are
        legible as well as discriminable.

2 DATA DISPLAY
  2.6    Coding
    2.6/28   *      +  Conservative Use of Color
        Employ color coding conservatively, using relatively few colors and only
        to designate critical categories of displayed data.
      Comment
        Casual, arbitrary use of colors on every display may cause displays to
        appear "busy" or cluttered.  Casual use of color will also reduce the
        likelihood that significant color coding on particular displays will be
        interpreted appropriately and quickly by a user.
      Reference
        BB = Brown, C. M., Brown, D. B., Burkleo, H. V., Mangelsdorf, J. E.,
        Olsen, R. A., and Perkins, R. D. (1983, June 15).  Human Factors
        Engineering Standards for Information Processing Systems (LMSC-D877141).
        Sunnyvale, CA: Lockheed Missiles and Space Company.

2 DATA DISPLAY
  2.6    Coding
    2.6/29   *      +  Adding Color to Formatted Displays
        Add color coding after displays have already been designed as
        effectively as possible in a monochrome format.
      Comment
        Do not use color coding in an attempt to compensate for poor display
        format.  Redesign the display instead.
      Reference
        BB = Brown, C. M., Brown, D. B., Burkleo, H. V., Mangelsdorf, J. E.,
        Olsen, R. A., and Perkins, R. D. (1983, June 15).  Human Factors
        Engineering Standards for Information Processing Systems (LMSC-D877141).
        Sunnyvale, CA: Lockheed Missiles and Space Company.

2 DATA DISPLAY
  2.6    Coding
    2.6/30   *      +  Redundant Color Coding
        Make color coding redundant with some other display feature such as
        symbology; do not code only by color.
      Comment
        Displayed data should provide necessary information even when viewed on
        a monochromatic display terminal or hard-copy printout, or when viewed
        by a user with defective color vision.
      Reference
        BB = Brown, C. M., Brown, D. B., Burkleo, H. V., Mangelsdorf, J. E.,
        Olsen, R. A., and Perkins, R. D. (1983, June 15).  Human Factors
        Engineering Standards for Information Processing Systems (LMSC-D877141).
        Sunnyvale, CA: Lockheed Missiles and Space Company.

        MS = MIL-STD-1472C, Revised.  (1983, 1 September).  Military Standard:
        Human Engineering Design Criteria for Military System, Equipment and
        Facilities.  Washington, DC: Department of Defense.

2 DATA DISPLAY
  2.6    Coding
    2.6/31   *      +  Unique Assignment of Color Codes
        When color coding is used, ensure that each color represents only one
        category of displayed data.
      Comment
        Color will prove the dominant coding dimension on a display.  If several
        different categories of data are displayed in red, say, they will have
        an unwanted visual coherence which may hinder proper assimilation of
        information by a user.
      Reference
        BB = Brown, C. M., Brown, D. B., Burkleo, H. V., Mangelsdorf, J. E.,
        Olsen, R. A., and Perkins, R. D. (1983, June 15).  Human Factors
        Engineering Standards for Information Processing Systems (LMSC-D877141).
        Sunnyvale, CA: Lockheed Missiles and Space Company.

        Smith, S. L., and Thomas, D. W. (1964).  Color versus shape coding in
        information displays.  Journal of Applied Psychology, 48, 137-146.

2 DATA DISPLAY
  2.6    Coding
    2.6/32   *      +  Conventional Assignment of Color Codes
        Choose colors for coding based on conventional associations with
        particular colors.
      Example
        In a display of accounting data, negative numbers might be shown as red,
        corresponding to past use of red ink for that purpose.
      Example
        Red is associated with danger in our society, and is an appropriate
        color for alarm conditions.  Yellow is associated with caution, and
        might be used for alerting messages or to denote changed data.  Green is
        associated with normal "go ahead" conditions, and might be used for
        routine data display.  White is a color with neutral association, which
        might be used for general data display purposes.
      Comment
        Other associations can be learned by a user if color coding is applied
        consistently.
      Reference
        BB = Brown, C. M., Brown, D. B., Burkleo, H. V., Mangelsdorf, J. E.,
        Olsen, R. A., and Perkins, R. D. (1983, June 15).  Human Factors
        Engineering Standards for Information Processing Systems (LMSC-D877141).
        Sunnyvale, CA: Lockheed Missiles and Space Company.

        MS = MIL-STD-1472C, Revised.  (1983, 1 September).  Military Standard:
        Human Engineering Design Criteria for Military System, Equipment and
        Facilities.  Washington, DC: Department of Defense.

2 DATA DISPLAY
  2.6    Coding
    2.6/33   *      +  Brightness and Saturation to Draw Attention
        Use brighter and/or more saturated colors when it is necessary to draw a
        user's attention to critical data.
      Comment
        On some display equipment, designers can vary the intensity as well as
        the saturation for individual hues.  On those displays, both intensity
        and saturation can be used to draw a user's attention to critical data.
      Comment
        Although saturated and/or intense hues are useful for drawing a user's
        attention, their overuse will result in a display which is garish and
        difficult to view for long periods.
      Comment
        When deciding the desired saturation of any given display color,
        consider the ambient lighting under which the display will be viewed.
        Colors that appear highly saturated in a darkened room will appear less
        saturated when viewed under high ambient illumination.

2 DATA DISPLAY
  2.6    Coding
    2.6/34   *      +  Saturated Blue for Background Color
        Use saturated blue only for background features in a display, and not
        for critical data.
      Example
        Saturated blue might be used for shading background areas in graphic
        displays, where its lower apparent brightness could possibly be of
        benefit.  Or saturated blue might be used to display a background grid
        or familiar scale on a graphic display.
      Comment
        The human eye is not equally sensitive to all colors, nor are its optics
        color-corrected.  Blue symbols appear dimmer than others, and are more
        difficult to focus.
      Comment
        If blue must be used for displayed data, use a desaturated blue or cyan
        in order to make the data more legible.
      Reference
        BB = Brown, C. M., Brown, D. B., Burkleo, H. V., Mangelsdorf, J. E.,
        Olsen, R. A., and Perkins, R. D. (1983, June 15).  Human Factors
        Engineering Standards for Information Processing Systems (LMSC-D877141).
        Sunnyvale, CA: Lockheed Missiles and Space Company.

        Weitzman, D. O. (1985).  Color coding re-viewed.  In Proceedings of the
        Human Factors Society 29th Annual Meeting (pp 1079-1083).  Santa Monica,
        CA: Human Factors Society.
--
Gary Perlman                   Department of Computer and Information Science
perlman@cis.ohio-state.edu     The Ohio State University

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (06/06/89)

Remember that some of us are color-blind.  Make sure the colors in any
such interface can be configured by the user.

Paul DuBois (Left-handed, too!)
dubois@primate.wisc.edu		rhesus!dubois
bin@primate.wisc.edu		rhesus!bin

thom@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (Thom Gillespie) (06/06/89)

There was a study done in the 60's on library users and books which indicated
that size and color helped in recalling placement of the book in the stacks.
The study was done by William Cooper. I can't recall all the details but you
might want to look at it. He's a prof at Berkeley wcooper@violet.berkeley.edu

--Thom Gillespie

raymond@utpsych.toronto.edu (Raymond Shaw) (06/07/89)

In article <10116@watcgl.waterloo.edu> mejanzen@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Michael E. Janzen) writes:
>In article <572@hfserver.hfnet.bt.co.uk>, davet@hfserver.hfnet.bt.co.uk (David Travis) writes:

Travis:
>> One problem with menu-driven interfaces is that they encourage users to
>> be lazy: if you ask them to recall the options on a pull-down menu,
>> performance is very poor. Options are recalled by their approximate
   ^^^^^^^^^^^                           ^^^^^^^^
Just out of curiosity, just what is your measure of performance?  When you
say "recall" do you mean that you ask your subjects to tell you the names
of the options, or to describe them?  If you ask them to name them, how
stringent are you at scoring their answers?  In my own experience with menus,
after enough practice, I find that I know both the names and positions of the
options, so that I can often get ahead of the software in keystrokes.  So
practice is an important issue as well.

>> spatial position in the menu. A prediction from this would be that
>> colour-coding menu items would improve search times. Has there been any
>> work produced on navigating through menus using colour as a cue?

This suggests that you aren't asking them to "recall" the items, but instead
are asking them to find items in the menu from some starting position.  In
that case, you probably have too many items on your menus for easy discrimina-
tion.

Janzen:
>I am taking part in research on that topic.  It appears that colour is more
>effective than position in improving speed and accuracy of character
>recognition, but combing the two is particularly effective.
 ^^^^^^^^^^^
Is it recognition, or discrimination?  Is your measure choice? or naming?

It seems to me that using a menu taps some sort of procedural memory, whereas
naming or recalling the options in a menu taps some sort of episodic/semantic
memory.  Generally, researchers seem to find dissociations between these
"memory systems," so it seems likely that the nature of your measure will
affect the nature of the performance you are likely to obtain, particularly
if the way you train your subjects to use the menus is different from the
way you test them.

-Ray Shaw
raymond@psych.toronto.edu

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (06/08/89)

In article <29495@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> thom@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Thom Gillespie) writes:
}There was a study done in the 60's on library users and books which indicated
}that size and color helped in recalling placement of the book in the stacks.
}The study was done by William Cooper. I can't recall all the details but you
}might want to look at it. He's a prof at Berkeley wcooper@violet.berkeley.edu

Aha!  That just might explain it.

It:

One of my friends keeps all her books arranged by color and size on her
bookshelves, regardless of subject or author.  She's highly intelligent
and certainly reads them all, so it isn't just a matter of interior
decorating by an ignoramus (though the visual effect is striking).  I
wonder if she's heard of this study.

--
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe, hollombe@ttidca.tti.com)  Illegitimati Nil
Citicorp(+)TTI                                                 Carborundum

dsr@stl.stc.co.uk (David Riches) (06/08/89)

>One problem with menu-driven interfaces is that they encourage users to
>be lazy: if you ask them to recall the options on a pull-down menu,
>performance is very poor. Options are recalled by their approximate
>spatial position in the menu. A prediction from this would be that
>colour-coding menu items would improve search times. Has there been any
>work produced on navigating through menus using colour as a cue?

This isn't a problem.  What this means is that the user interface is
not getting in the way of the user.  There are a number of experiments
which have recently been performed in this area of menus.  Not to do
with colour I hasten to add but a couple with adaptive menus :-

Trevellyan and Browne, "Self-Regulating Adatpive Systems", ACM SIGCHI
Proceedings 1987.

and also some work by Terry Mayes, Scottish HCI Centre, Strathclyde
University, Glasgow, U.K.  This has been looking at the Macintosh
interface to see whether "expert users" can't remember what's in a
menu but can when they're just about to use it and other things ...

(This is for the BT man :-  Go and ask Peter Boucherat about the AID
project which addressed some issues on menus)

   Dave Riches
   PSS:    dsr@stl.stc.co.uk
   ARPA:   dsr%stl.stc.co.uk@earn-relay.ac.uk
   Smail:  Software Design Centre, STC Technology Ltd., London Road,
	   Harlow, Essex. CM17 9NA.  England
   Phone:  +44 (0)279-29531 x2496

alan@ux.cs.man.ac.uk (Alan Wills) (06/08/89)

In article <572@hfserver.hfnet.bt.co.uk> davet@hfserver.hfnet.bt.co.uk (David Travis) writes:
>Options are recalled by their approximate
>spatial position in the menu.

One way of making the most of this is to make your menu octagonal.  The
menu appears centred on the cursor; you select by wiping outwards in the
appropriate direction.  So it looks rather like this (but I can only draw a
hexagonal one in ascii!):

                    /----------\
                   /  \ item1 / \
                  / i6 \____ /i2 \
                  ------____ -----
                  \    /     \i3 /
                   \  /  i4   \ /
                    \----------/

The centre is a "next 8 options" button, for when there are more than 8
items in the menu (so when you get used to a particular menu, you know to
click twice for a particular item); but a better practice is to nest menus
and cascade them.  After a while, users get fast at the sequence of clicks
and wipes needed for a familiar item: the system has to be able to cope
with users going through them quickly.

Lon Barfield at Manchester invented this.  I think there's a local report
on it, which I can look out for anyone interested.

Alan Wills
061-275 6135
Dept of Computer Science
University of Manchester