[sci.psychology] visual presentation of quantitative info?

rew@cbnews.ATT.COM (Robert E. Warren) (10/09/89)

In article <8726@spool.cs.wisc.edu>, news@spool.cs.wisc.edu (The News) writes:
> procedural and quantitative (including equations) information.  A
> review article or book would be best to get me started.
> I'll summarize should others be interested.

I only got a garbled version of your message, but two good
places to start looking to information on the visual
presentation of quantitative information are:

Tufte, E.R. The visual display of quantitative information, 1983
	Graphics Press, Cheshire, CT.

Cleveland, W. S. The elements of graphing data, 1985
	Wadsworth, Monterey, CA.

I've done a few experiments on this topic myself.  If you
are interested in specific (rather than review) articles,
I would be glad to send them to you.

Bob Warren
cbnea!rew
AT&T Bell Labs, Room 3E-245
6200 E. Broad St.
Columbus, OH 43232

neves@ai.cs.wisc.edu (David M. Neves) (10/10/89)

.
I am the original poster and I see that I wasn't sufficiently clear
enough so let me restate what I am looking for.

I am interested in the literature on visually representing various
forms of information for ease of learning and better recall.
Such as:

  equations:   miles/gallons for mileage or
               miles/hours   for rate
               (x + y)/.4z   (more complex)
    i.e. How can these equations be represented as pictures?
  hierarchies:  (besides the obvious visual trees)
  procedures:   (besides the obvious flow diagram)

I would guess some of this information would be in math education,
psychology, and human-computer interaction/human factors.  I'd like
some pointers to get me started.

Institute for the Learning Sciences, 1890 Maple St., Evanston, Il. 60201
(312) 491-7178

spf@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (Steve Frysinger of Blue Feather Farm) (10/10/89)

From article <8726@spool.cs.wisc.edu>, by news@spool.cs.wisc.edu (The News):
> procedural and quantitative (including equations) information.  A
> review article or book would be best to get me started.
> I'll summarize should others be interested.
> -Thanks, David

Check out:

Tufte, E. R. (1983). "The Visual Display of Quantitative Information."
	Cheshire: Graphics Press.

Everott. N/ S/ (1978). "Graphical Techniques for Multivariate Data."
	New York: North-Holland.

Good luck! Steve Frysinger

craig@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Craig Hubley) (10/14/89)

I didn't see the original poster, and it's from his/her university,
so it might have been mentioned already, but:

J. Bertin, "Semiology of Graphics", The U of Wisconsin Press, 1983,
translated by William J. Berg.

This French text is one of the most important references.  The translation
can be hard to read, but the pictorial material makes it understandable.
Someone has already used this to build a presentation engine:

"Applying a Theory of Graphical Presentation to the Graphic Design
 of User Interfaces", Jock MacKinlay, Xerox PARC, in Proceedings of
the ACM SIGGRAPH Symposium on User Interface Software (UIST'88),
Banff, Alberta, Canada, Octobe 17-19, 1988.

Craig Hubley
--
    Craig Hubley			-------------------------------------
    Craig Hubley & Associates		"Lead, follow, or get out of the way"

perlman@capybara.cis.ohio-state.edu (Gary Perlman) (10/16/89)

Among technical texts, Tufte's is one of my favorites.  After reading it,
I had learned how in individual cases, gifted individuals in a
flash of insight, created some of the best graphics of all time.
There were few generalities that I could use, although I often try to
minimize the ink-to-data ratio.

A paper that might be of some use is:

An Axiomatic Model of Information Presentation
Gary Perlman
Proceedings of the Human Factors Society - 31st Annual Meeting, 1987, 1229-1233
Abstract:
    The goal of information layout is to physically display
    information to reinforce the underlying structure of the
    information.  In this paper, I describe an axiomatic model of
    information layout.  The model has three levels: (1) a
    device-independent representation for structured information,
    (2) a set of axioms (or rules) relating information structure
    with display attributes, (3) a set of device dependent
    display attributes used to distinguish differences and show
    similarities in information structure.  The model infers,
    using logical deductions from its axioms, how display
    attributes should be used to show the structure of
    information.  A prototype software system exists that allows
    interactive design and evaluation of screen layouts.  Future
    research is planned to develop an expert system to aid in the
    automatic design of layouts, and to refine the prototype into
    a usable system.

I am actually working on the future research now.  As usual, you can request
a reprint from me.
-=-
Name:  Gary Perlman               | Computer and Information Science Department
Email: perlman@cis.ohio-state.edu | Ohio State University, 228 Bolz Hall
Phone: 614-292-2566               | 2036 Neil Avenue Mall
Fax:   614-292-9021               | Columbus, OH 43210-1277  USA