[net.micro] Hayes compatible warning...

MEAD@usc-eclb.arpa (Dick) (11/23/85)

This is a warning concerning the Hayes compatible modem that Jade Computer
and others is marketing for about $180.00. This modem is made by a company
called FHR Industries/Mercury Modem and is model FHR-1200. The modem does
not appear to function properly in the NUMERIC RESULT mode, which some
software does not allow you to alter to VERBOSE. One such program is the
MOUSE EXCHANGE BBS for the Mac. The program will not startup in BBS mode
with the FHR-1200, but works fine with a Courier modem (another Hayes compat).
The FHR-1200 sends numeric results with a leading carriage return character,
which appears to be the point of confusion for the program. The other, working
modem only sends a carriage return after the result code. I have called the
mfgr (Spokane, Wash) several times, and 10 days ago was promised a new rom
with the leading return character omitted, but had not heard from them
until I called again today, which only got me a return call promise.
The modem seems to work fine in Verbose mode, and is ok otherwise, but
be warned if your software uses Numeric mode without any option to change it.
I am still waiting to see if the problem will be corrected and will report
any new info.
-------

randy@ranhome.UUCP (Randys Account) (11/24/85)

> This is a warning concerning the Hayes compatible modem that Jade Computer
> and others is marketing for about $180.00. .....
[text omitted]

Is this the same as the modem being marketed as the "Smart Team"?  The picture
in the Jade ad looks the same.

How does this modem perform otherwise?  I am considering purchasing one, and
would very much like to hear more about it.

ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (12/03/85)

In article <6@brl-tgr.ARPA> MEAD@usc-eclb.arpa (Dick) writes:

>This is a warning concerning the Hayes compatible modem that Jade Computer
>and others is marketing for about $180.00. This modem is made by a company
>called FHR Industries/Mercury Modem and is model FHR-1200. The modem does
>not appear to function properly in the NUMERIC RESULT mode...

Could this be the 'other factory' that DAK refers to in their ad copy
for their Smart Duck' modem, and could it have the same problem?
Has anyone used the DAK modem with Mouse Exchange software?

					- Ralph