[sci.psychology] Portable Unix boxes

es@sinix.UUCP (Dr. Sanio) (03/16/90)

In article <1620@argus.UUCP> ken@argus.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) writes:
>In article <790@dgis.dtic.dla.mil>, jkrueger@dgis.dtic.dla.mil (Jon) writes:
>: Can you read text at 9600 baud?
>
>Not only do I read at 9600 baud, I used to spell check at 9600 baud.  I
>[.....]
Without any showyness intended, I can back that at least to a certain amount.
With some training, you can get used to read lines, even paragraphs as a whole
(similarly as every adult reader reads words, not letters), thus highly in-
creasing your reading speed. Reading a book that way, it's well possible to
read 2 pages within 3 seconds (2000 cps or 16000 baud - no stop or parity).

But, there is one important condition: the text  m u s t  n o t  require any
intellectual effort of comprehension. If so, your reading rate may drop
down to one page per hour or even less (take a text of Husserl, for example).

I don't know where the limits for fast reading are (there should be some).
I achieved the above speed on reading entertaining literature in my native
language (German). In English, it's hard for me to meet a quarter of it -
even if the text doesn't touch the limits of my vocabulary.

>--
>Kenneth Ng: Post office: NJIT - CCCC, Newark New Jersey  07102

regards, es

root@argus.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) (03/20/90)

:
: But, there is one important condition: the text  m u s t  n o t  require any
: intellectual effort of comprehension.

Comprehension was relative.  I comprehended general sentence structure amid
the typesetting markups, but didn't really remember content.  I wasn't
examining the content of the text, just the text.  Why I answered this with
my reply was a comment I was told several years ago from the computer services
people.  "Why do you want to go faster than 300 baud?  Nobody can read
that fast."