[sci.psychology] Are Humans Naturally Monogamous?

turpin@cs.utexas.edu (Russell Turpin) (10/25/90)

-----
In article <1990Oct24.175532.9407@pmafire.UUCP>, reiser@pmafire.UUCP (Steve Reiser) writes:
> Without cultural training would human being by there biological nature
> be monogamous or is it culturally ingrained from childhood?

It is hard to imagine an environment that allows a human to
survive to adolescence that does not provide cultural training
of some sort.  To the extent that one can imagine such an
environment, like the fabled children who survived in the wild,
it is unlikely that any human so raised would be capable of
much sexual activity beyond masturbation, at least, not without
being shown how.

Humans by their *nature* develop in a culture.  To talk about what
humans would *naturally* do without culture is nonsense.  It is NOT
natural for humans to develop without culture.

To understand what is natural to humans, one can only look at the
range of cultures that have developed.  Are humans naturally
monogamous or not?  In some cultures they are and other cultures they
aren't, and in yet other cultures, such as our own, they can be
either.  That is the only realistic answer to your question.

Russell

sbishop@desire.wright.edu (10/25/90)

In article <13922@cs.utexas.edu>, turpin@cs.utexas.edu (Russell Turpin) writes:
> -----
> In article <1990Oct24.175532.9407@pmafire.UUCP>, reiser@pmafire.UUCP (Steve Reiser) writes:
>> Without cultural training would human being by there biological nature
>> be monogamous or is it culturally ingrained from childhood?
>
> It is hard to imagine an environment that allows a human to
> survive to adolescence that does not provide cultural training
> of some sort.  To the extent that one can imagine such an
> environment, like the fabled children who survived in the wild,
> it is unlikely that any human so raised would be capable of
> much sexual activity beyond masturbation, at least, not without
> being shown how.
>
> Humans by their *nature* develop in a culture.  To talk about what
> humans would *naturally* do without culture is nonsense.  It is NOT
> natural for humans to develop without culture.

This is entirely true.  Many animals are totally *naturally* oriented to
being raised in a group or family situation.  If raised otherwise they
suffer from SERIOUS mental and emotional problems.  Humans fall into
this catagory.

> To understand what is natural to humans, one can only look at the
> range of cultures that have developed.  Are humans naturally
> monogamous or not?  In some cultures they are and other cultures they
> aren't, and in yet other cultures, such as our own, they can be
> either.  That is the only realistic answer to your question.
>
> Russell

This answer fits the general anthropological idea of humans.  It is really
a cultural explanation and since humans ARE the ultimate cultural animal
then it fits the situation.

kathy@ut-emx.uucp (Katherine Holcomb) (10/25/90)

In article <1990Oct25.131109.28884@athena.mit.edu> bjohnson@athena.mit.edu (Brett W Johnson) writes:
>In article <1990Oct24.233638.1774@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> wp6@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Walter Pohl) writes:
>>In article <1990Oct24.175532.9407@pmafire.UUCP> reiser@pmafire.UUCP (Steve Reiser) writes:
>>>begun to wonder what man's true nature really is. I have nothing against
>>		       ^^^
>>
>>	When I read this article, at first I was confused as to whether you
>>meant "male" or "person".
   [stuff deleted]

>"Man" is used correctly here.  "Person" would NOT have been correct.
>God, I hate feminist quibbling about de-sexing the English language.
>
>"Homo sapiens" would have been correct and not at all ambiguous, but
>I suppose you would argue that because it translates to "wise man"
>it too would have been confusing.

 [some stuff deleted]

"Homo sapiens" is better translated as "wise human being."  The Latin word
for "adult male human being" is "vir."  Many languages are unlike English
in having separate words for the concepts of "human being" and "adult male
human being."  It is pretty well established that language shapes culture,
as well as vice versa; I leave the implications of this to the reader.

Now back to some biology.  (As in "a little" biology.) I think about all
that can be said that is unequivocably biological is that human sexual
behavior is, if not unique among mammals, at least unusual in that the female
is receptive to the male even during non-fertile periods.  Presumably this
has something to do with the formation of a pair bond between a male and a
female.  It says nothing about whether such pair bonds necessarily form, nor
about how long they "should" last if they do.

That's my $0.02 worth.

 Katherine

(no .signature yet)

mikeb@wdl31.wdl.fac.com (Michael H Bender) (10/25/90)

	(Steve Reiser) writes:
   > Without cultural training would human being by there biological nature
   > be monogamous or is it culturally ingrained from childhood?

   (... some stuff delete...)

   To understand what is natural to humans, one can only look at the
   range of cultures that have developed.  Are humans naturally
   monogamous or not?  In some cultures they are and other cultures they
   aren't, and in yet other cultures, such as our own, they can be
   either.  That is the only realistic answer to your question.

   Russell

I think that your answer is a little too pat and simplistic. Yes, it is
true that you can't have humans without culture. However, it is also true
that you can't have humans without biological drives and genes, and they do
give us some direction (Actually, they usually give us a number of
different, conflicting, directions!).

In a follow-up book to Sociobiology the author (Wilson?) noted that the
current research indicates that human beings have a definite polygamous
tendency, although societies tend to prohibit against polyandry (i.e., the
female version.)  I would point out further that recent studies in biology
have shown that numerous animals, once thought to be polygamous, are NOT.
E.g., various species of birds that mate for life have recently been shown
to have numerous "extra-marrital" relationships.

So unless you deny evolution and assume that are behavioral tendencies are
completely cut off from the "lower" animals, then the answer to the
original question is probably that humans have a polygamous drive and that
they also have other drives, some of which push in the direction of
monogamy.

Mike Bender

garlow@lpl.arizona.edu (Kevin Garlow x2272) (10/26/90)

In article <MIKEB.90Oct25090008@wdl31.wdl.fac.com> mikeb@wdl31.wdl.fac.com (Michael H Bender) writes:

	[deletions]

>female version.)  I would point out further that recent studies in biology
>have shown that numerous animals, once thought to be polygamous, are NOT.
                                                      ^^^^^^^^^^
>E.g., various species of birds that mate for life have recently been shown
>to have numerous "extra-marrital" relationships.

	[deletions]
>Mike Bender

	I *think* Mike meant to say that "Studies have shown that
numerous animals, once thought to be MONOGAMOUS, are not."  This would
jibe with the following sentence.

						Kevin Garlow

cel@duke.cs.duke.edu (Chris Lane) (10/26/90)

In article <MIKEB.90Oct25090008@wdl31.wdl.fac.com> mikeb@wdl31.wdl.fac.com (Michael H Bender) writes:

>In a follow-up book to Sociobiology the author (Wilson?) noted that the
>current research indicates that human beings have a definite polygamous
>tendency, although societies tend to prohibit against polyandry (i.e., the
>female version.)  I would point out further that recent studies in biology
>have shown that numerous animals, once thought to be polygamous, are NOT.
>E.g., various species of birds that mate for life have recently been shown
>to have numerous "extra-marrital" relationships.

I think you have a typo. Is it that numerous monogamous animals are not
or that numerous polygamous animals are not?

>So unless you deny evolution and assume that are behavioral tendencies are
>completely cut off from the "lower" animals, then the answer to the
>original question is probably that humans have a polygamous drive and that
>they also have other drives, some of which push in the direction of
>monogamy.

Well, now, this is a sneaky rhetorical trick ';-)  It is not at all the
same thing to deny evolution and to assume that human behavioral
tendencies are fundamentally cut off from bird behavior.  The extra
complexity and size of the human brain makes it a much more plastic or
programmable structure than a bird's brain.  (For that matter, birds behavior
is probably more varied than is realised (as I guess your typoed revisionist
biology indicates.))

The content and meaning of categories that "biological drives" act on
are probably cultural variables.

If people have a "drive" to "mate" with the "same person", then what
constitutes the same person may simply be a person who looks similar,
or who talks similar, or who wears the same kind of red shoes.  Or it
may be the same person, but only while that person acts a certain way
or while that person is a certain age.  Likewise "mating" may very from
masturbating while being held by that same person to PV intercourse to
anal sex or heavy SM stuff; all of these activities involve the mating
area of the brain, and often release "sexual tension", leaving one
feeling that one's drives have been fulfilled.  The mental categories
within which "drives" have to operate are determined in very broad
and multi-causal ways.  Basically, you can't have a drive to be with
the same person any firmer than your understanding of what makes a
person the same.  People change, and they often find that their lovers
no longer wish to be with them when they have changed.  Likewise, one
may find that basically what distinguishes people from one another is only
isomorphic with gender, and then desire to be with every person of a given
gender; this "promiscuous and evil" behavior might result from a
neurological drive for monogamy that augmented by a neurology that
identifies similarly gendered people as the "same person" for the
purposes of fucking.

>Mike Bender

Chris Lane
--
cel@cs.duke.edu
Confusion can be both pleasant and helpful.

arkeo@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au (10/27/90)

In article <MIKEB.90Oct25090008@wdl31.wdl.fac.com>, mikeb@wdl31.wdl.fac.com (Michael H Bender) writes:
> In article <13922@cs.utexas.edu> turpin@cs.utexas.edu (Russell Turpin)
> writes:
>
>     In article <1990Oct24.175532.9407@pmafire.UUCP>, reiser@pmafire.UUCP
> 	(Steve Reiser) writes:
>    > Without cultural training would human being by there biological nature
>    > be monogamous or is it culturally ingrained from childhood?
>
>    (... some stuff delete...)
>
> I think that your answer is a little too pat and simplistic. Yes, it is
> true that you can't have humans without culture. However, it is also true
> that you can't have humans without biological drives and genes, and they do
> give us some direction (Actually, they usually give us a number of
> different, conflicting, directions!).
>
>       (some normative  Sociobiology deleted)
>
> So unless you deny evolution and assume that are behavioral tendencies are
> completely cut off from the "lower" animals, then the answer to the
> original question is probably that humans have a polygamous drive and that
> they also have other drives, some of which push in the direction of
> monogamy.

Again, too pat and simplistic.  In fact, the CAPACITY to be cultural is a
GENETIC CAPACITY.  This is the logic:
Cultural is defined as those aspects of the phenotype acquired by means of
teaching/learning/imitation from other humans.
The capacity for culture is the ability (frequency, if you will) of the
above in a member of a population.
Our distant ancestors were less cultural than us (data from
palaeoanthropological record supports this).
The evolution of Homo sap sap, amoung other things, may be characterized
by increases in the ability to be cultural.
This evolution HAD to proceed by means of natural selection.
The GENETIC changes in the evolving popualtion would be (must be, according
to Nat Sel theory) driven by maximization of fitness.
Fitness in the hominid lineage was highest in those members of the lineage
who left offspring who exhibited a higher cultural capacity than other
members of the lineage.  (which is how the capacity increased over time in
the lineage).
Yet, as we note, the PERFORMANCE of culture involves determining aspects of
the phenotype WITHOUT *Direct* instruction from the genes (save in the
capacity). Overall, we could say that, in our lineage, genetic fitness was
greatest in those ancestors or ours who had the LEAST direct genetic
influence on the specifics exhibited in their behaviour.
Hence we need not reject evolution in order to accept an autonomously
functioning CULTURAL determination of behaviour.
[Note this is NOT to claim that the *specific behaviors* coded in a cultural
system are necessarily IMMUNE from any sort of selection (analagous to
natural selecttion).  This however is a separate issue.]

What is important here is to realize that CULTURE (as a capacity of
individual humans) is ITSELF a product of natural selection.  When we
polarize GENES/CULTURE we miss the most important thing about the genetic
evolution of culture itself -- that culture as a genetic capacity evolved
by means of natural selection and that this capacity was more fit than
"genetic" (less cultural) means of determination of behaviour.  Wilson et
al always seem to miss this simple genetic point. Tis a shame, since in the
process they end up, therefore, making fundamental errors such as
confusing evolutionary-biological traits with cultural traits.  If a kind
of behaviour (ie mating behaviour) is "learned" (coded in the cultural
transmission system) it is INCOHERENT to speak of its "genetic" aspects
since the only "genetic aspect" it could posess is in the, much larger,
capacity for cultural behaviour itself.

Dave

peter@watcsc.waterloo.edu (Peter Sellmer) (11/25/90)

I'm really surprised that this discussion hasn't migrated back to
sci.psychology.  The nature/nurture question has been debated over
many a beer for decades now by psych people of every stripe.

My $0.02 is that it's pretty clear
that humans are somewhere in the middle of the monogamy/polygamy
continuum.  We pair-bond, but not for life necessarily, though
sometimes.  Can it get any mushier than that?

As well, what's the point?
If one wanted to make the statement that we ARE
monogamous "naturally" (whatever that means), well, so what?

Does this chicken-and-egg philosophizing have real implications for the
way we do things?  The way we should do things?  The way we could do things?

Peter
--
Peter Sellmer
(peter@watcsc.uwaterloo.ca or psellmer@watserv1.uwaterloo.ca)

"Dip in...to the sea... of possibilities!" Patti Smith

alternat@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Ann Hodgins) (11/30/90)

In article <1990Nov24.233954.8869@watcsc.waterloo.edu> peter@watcsc.waterloo.edu (Peter Sellmer) writes:
>If one wanted to make the statement that we ARE
>monogamous "naturally" (whatever that means), well, so what?
>Does this chicken-and-egg philosophizing have real implications for the
>way we do things?  The way we should do things?  The way we could do things?

I think there is a point to knowing what are instinctive, inherited
predispositions are - personal unity and integration.
If we know ourselves and are honest with ourselves we have a better chance
of enjoying life.  Doing what comes naturally feels good and acting in
sync with our natures is fulfilling.
The opposite of this - trying to do what does not come naturally, leads to
self-deception, internal conflict and a joyless life cut off from the roots
of pleasure deep in our instinctive selves.

ann hodgins

sarge@metapsy.UUCP (Sarge Gerbode) (11/30/90)

In article <1399@gtx.com>, al@gtx.UUCP (Alan Filipski) writes:
>In article <1990Nov26.005512.16483@massey.ac.nz>A.S.Chamove@massey.ac.nz
(A.S. Chamove) writes:
>>It seems to me that people behave very sanely, and insane or irrational
>>behaviour is quite rare.

>Behavior can be classified as "rational" or "irrational" only with
>respect to some agreed-upon and well-defined end, and even then it's
>sometimes hard to tell which is which.

Rationality includes (amongst other things) an alignment amongst
different elements of experience, include an alignment between
intentions and other intentions.  From this perspective, I would
agree with Chamove and maybe carry it even a bit farther.  My view is
that all people are inherently rational, if you look from the
person-centered viewpoint (i.e., from the viewpoint off the person
whose rationality you are considering).  No one thinks or does
anything that he believes to be irrational -- at the exact moment he
thinks or does it.  One only spots irrationality in one's own
behavior and thoughts in *retrospect* (though that retrospect may be
only a second or fraction of a second later).  And one is lookinng at
prior irrationality from a later viewpoint that one regards as
rational.  In my view, rationality is built into human nature;  we are
always being as rational as we can.  We call others "irrational" when
we refuse to understand the viewpoint from which we could otherwise
see the rationale of their thoughts and actions.

>I don't see that you can classify the goals themselves as "rational" or
>"irrational", though you might say "I agree with that goal" or "I
>disagree with that one".

That, in fact, is the way in which "irrational" and "rational" tend
to be used.  But if some goals were universal and paramount in human
nature, then goals that conflicted with those universal goals might
justly be considered irrational, because there would inevitably be a
conflict between them and the higher universal goals.  I happen to
think that goals like the goal to destroy others -- or even the goal
to be irrational -- might be considered irrational because I believe
that there is a universal and paramount tendency toward love and
communion with others and toward having an orderly world.  (Sort of
the opposite of Original Sin -- Original Virtue?)
--
Sarge Gerbode -- UUCP:  [apple or practic or pyramid]!thirdi!metapsy!sarge
Institute for Research in Metapsychology

learn@igloo.scum.com (Bill HMRP Vajk) (12/01/90)

In article <9382@watserv1.waterloo.edu> Ann Hodgins writes:

> The opposite of this - trying to do what does not come naturally, leads to
> self-deception, internal conflict and a joyless life cut off from the roots
> of pleasure deep in our instinctive selves.

Nice theory, like many others, but still only a theory.

For openers, try 'clothing isn't natural.'

How about a shot at self-deception and internal conflict being quite
natural. Look around you, so many folks practice these more faithfully
than any religion.

And finally, it seems to be society's duty to tame the beast which the
human being is, to prevent some of the instinctive selves from running
wild and harming others.

Bill.etc   |   All learning has an emotional base.   - Plato