[sci.psychology] evolution is not a scale

colby@bu-bio.bu.edu (Chris Colby) (12/19/90)

In article <37034@cup.portal.com> mmm@cup.portal.com
(Mark Robert Thorson) writes:

>The professor of the course had a table summarizing many experiments with
>other species, showing a rise in information transfer as you go up the scale
>to humans, who (by this measure) can assimilate hundreds of bits per second.

	Mark, I liked your post but I cringed when I read the above.
The idea that evolution is a linear scale with humans at the pinnacle
is simply not true. Other animals are not "lower" animals as you call
them, just divergent. For example, chimps are the most closely related
species to us. But, they are not a lower species. We did not evolve
from chimps, we share a common ancestor with them. If you look at
the topography of evolutionary history, you will see it resembles a
tree or bush. Each extant species at the tips coalescing back into
the ancestral species they diverged from. From a single common
ancestor life multiplied and species diverged into many branches.
It was not a march of progress with human beings being the goal.
Extant (living) species are not our ancestors, we share a common
ancestor with them. they have been evolving right along with us.

	The idea of evolution as a scale probably come from people
wanting to view evolutionary change as progress. Evolution is not
progress. It is just change. Organisms adapt to their current
environments and that's it.

	Humans may be the most intelligent species on the planet,
but we are not the pinnacle of evolution.

Chris Colby
email: colby@bu-bio.bu.edu