[comp.sys.ibm] IBM & Tandy == Stupidity!

wozniak@utkux1.utk.edu (Bryon Lape) (07/26/90)

	With IBM's announcement of the PS/1 and Tandy's 1000 RL, it is
obvious that these two companies do not know what the HELL they are
doing!  Both systems are overpriced and shot in the leg.  The fact of
the matter is, faster machines with more options are available from the
"no-name clone" competition for the same money.  If anyone buys these
machines, they probably already own the Brooklyn Bridge.  Why do we
users put up with this nonsense?

-bryon lape-

mikey@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Michael GALLOP) (07/26/90)

In article <1990Jul25.210322.4059@cs.utk.edu> wozniak@utkux1.utk.edu (Bryon Lape) writes:

>	With IBM's announcement of the PS/1 and Tandy's 1000 RL, it is
>obvious that these two companies do not know what the HELL they are
>doing!
No, actually, I don't think YOU know what they are doing.
With respect to the PS/1 IBM doesn't care what you, a programmer,
thinks. The machine is targetted at the, oh about, 50 million houses
out there that can afford a computer but don't have one.
The reason that these houses don't have one is THEY ARE AFRAID OF THEM.
That is why IBM has put the PS/1 in Sears. People want something familiar.

>the matter is, faster machines with more options are available from the
>"no-name clone" competition for the same money.  If anyone buys these
>machines, they probably already own the Brooklyn Bridge.
No, again IBM is , as we know, a well known name.
When a household puts out $2,00 for a system hen they want reliability.
They also want help.
ACME computers in California simply doesn't have the resources neccesary.

> Why do we users put up with this nonsense?
They don't want users to. They want families to. Big difference.

Personally, I dislike IBM products, but if we as programmers want to
push for a more computer literate populace, then this is something we should
look at.
IBM includes a modem. What we should do is help anybody who does buy a PS/1
 learn. We all had to start somewhere too!

Apologies to the original author, I don't want to come across as pompus..
But If we want computer to be available then we can't hope for a SUN
or a 386 in every house. We have to support a well thought out (for once!)
package for the CONSUMER.

--
| mikey@calvin.cs.mcgill.ca | "Life is just a linear Regression to Chaos," |
| Mike Gallop	    	    | "...Poured through a Klein bottle"           |

garylee@skybridge.SCL.CWRU.Edu (Gary Lee) (07/27/90)

In article <1990Jul25.210322.4059@cs.utk.edu> wozniak@utkux1.utk.edu (Bryon Lape) writes:

>	With IBM's announcement of the PS/1 and Tandy's 1000 RL, it is
>obvious that these two companies do not know what the HELL they are
>doing!  Both systems are overpriced and shot in the leg.  The fact of
>the matter is, faster machines with more options are available from the
>"no-name clone" competition for the same money.  If anyone buys these
>machines, they probably already own the Brooklyn Bridge.  Why do we
>users put up with this nonsense?
>

>-bryon lape-

Gee... I wasn't aware that IBM stopped making the PS/2 and Tandy, the 4/5000
series systems. But then again, most of the people I instruct on computers
should stick to calculators. 8^)

(From another "power user" who can understand their marketing plan, but
still needs 33Mhz 386i to be happy.)

Best regards and keep up the good work,
Gary