[rec.games.trivia] reading hexadecimal out loud, etc

greg@utcsri.UUCP (10/04/87)

In article <1632@chinet.UUCP> editor@chinet.UUCP (Alex Zell) writes:
>Whenever I came to an entry such as "B000" or "F000" I would pronounce
>"boo" or "foo"  and would be corrected by son Pete: "No, you should
>always spell it out "ef-zero-zero-zero" or we may end up with errors."
>(You have no idea how rigid very young teenagers can be.  "What's right
>is right.")

You should always spell it out, fox-zero-zero-zero, or baker-zero-zero-zero,
if you don't want to end up with errors.

Ever wonder why we have such good names for the digits and such lousy ones
for the letters? B,C,D,E,G,P,T,V,Z in particular.

Several months ago I went to Ottawa for a series of interviews at a large
communications firm. Over the phone, the fellow from personnel read off a list
of times and persons, and spelled the more difficult names. He also gave me a
locator number to get my ticket at the airport. I confirmed the letters in the
locator number using 'M as in mary, F as in Frank', and he said, 'no, M as in
Mary, S as in Sarah'. When I got to the place, I gave the name of the first
interviewer at each location to the security guard, who would look it up in a
book. In almost every such case, the first interviewer had a difficult name
which had been spelled out, and in which I had written down 'f's instead
of 's's.

But that's life.
Greg Smith     University of Toronto      UUCP: ..utzoo!utcsri!greg
Have vAX, will hack...

tedk@ihuxv.ATT.COM (Kekatos) (10/07/87)

In article <5486@utcsri.UUCP> greg@utcsri.UUCP (Gregory Smith) writes:
>In article <1632@chinet.UUCP> editor@chinet.UUCP (Alex Zell) writes:
>>Whenever I came to an entry such as "B000" or "F000" I would pronounce
>>"boo" or "foo"  and would be corrected by son Pete: "No, you should
>>always spell it out "ef-zero-zero-zero" or we may end up with errors."
>>(You have no idea how rigid very young teenagers can be.  "What's right
>>is right.")
>
>You should always spell it out, fox-zero-zero-zero, or baker-zero-zero-zero,
>if you don't want to end up with errors.
>
>Greg Smith     University of Toronto      UUCP: ..utzoo!utcsri!greg

Hexadecimal is always read digit by digit. Trailing zeros are sometimes read
as "hundred" or "thousand" (such as "F000" equals "ef-thousand").
Having worked in Technical support for three years, I can tell you
many stories of computer error due to similar "reading" mis-understandings.

Remember:

0 = "zero"

O = "oh"

Ted G. Kekatos