[rec.games.trivia] At Last! The voice of Reason!

derek@carroll1.cc.edu (Derek Inksetter) (01/12/90)

In article <50810@bbn.COM> ncramer@BBN.COM (Nichael Cramer) writes:

>From The Boston Globe's "Letters to the Editor", of 5 JAN 1990:
>
>I am tired on{sic} the bean-counters who insist that 1990 is not the...
.
.
.
>It is logically impossible to have a real year 0, just as you cannot have 0
>dollars.  Is a $20 bill worth only $19 because there is no $0 bill?

	Well, I beg to differ on that.  As a Junior undergrad student, and
	especially at this school, I can often say I have 0 dollars, and
	often do...just ask my friends...(I promise I'll pay you back next
	month guys...)

>                                                  XXXXXXX X. XXXXXXXX
>                                                  Auburn {Mass}

						Derek
--
.sig file closed for repairs--No thru traffic

dnewton@carroll1.cc.edu (Dave Newton the Late) (01/14/90)

>In article <50810@bbn.COM> ncramer@BBN.COM (Nichael Cramer) writes:
>It is logically impossible to have a real year 0, just as you cannot have 0
>dollars.  Is a $20 bill worth only $19 because there is no $0 bill?

   Oh yes I can.  I have _exactly_ $0.  And I'm getting tired of it.

--
David L. Newton       | uunet!marque!carroll1!dnewton  | The Raging Apostle--
(414) 524-7343 (work) |    dnewton@carroll1.cc.edu     | for the future--

migod@csri.toronto.edu (Mike Godfrey) (01/16/90)

In article <30874@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> das@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (David Smallberg) writes:
>Not literally an inconsistency, since "first" and "second" are etymologically
>unrelated to "one" and "two".  "Third" and "three" are related, of course, so
>one hopes that Dijkstra's lists are very short.

This same point is made by E.C.R. Hehner (member of this department) in his
book "The Logic of Programming", and he goes on to suggest that we create the
word "halfth" to go in between "second" and "third" so that "three" and
"third" will match up (p81-82).

The obvious objection is that this goes against centuries of convention.
It is *not* like converting to metric where you replace one set of names
(and measures) for another because you are redefining your old terms to
mean something else.

However, there is also a problem when you consider other languages.  The
French for "two" and "second" are "deux" and "deuxieme" respectively -- they
*are* related.  The same is also true in German (and, I would imagine, Dutch).
Do we now rewrite the French/English dictionaries?  If so, how?  We need a
new word in French, but we must place it between "first" and "second", unlike
English.  More and more confusing.

Incidentally, Prof. Hehner's book starts at Chapter 0, section 0, subsection
0 on page 10 (well, the table of contents start on page 0).  This is the
only book I've seen where the odd numbered pages are on the left.

--
Mike Godfrey
Dept of Comp Sci, UofT     	"Soulwise, these are trying times."

7thSon@SLCS.SLB.COM (Chris Garrigues) (01/17/90)

    From: das@lanai.cs.ucla.edu
    Date: Mon, 15 Jan 90 19:06 CST

    Not literally an inconsistency, since "first" and "second" are etymologically
    unrelated to "one" and "two".  "Third" and "three" are related, of course, so
    one hopes that Dijkstra's lists are very short.

From the on-line documentation for my lisp machine.  I believe this is
verbatim from /Common Lisp the Language/ by Guy Steel.

       tenth list                                                  Function

       Returns the tenth element of list. tenth is equivalent to

            (nth 9 list)
       Example:

            (setq letters '(a b c d e f g h i j k l)) =>
            (A B C D E F G H I J K L)

            (tenth letters) => J

       For a table of related items: See the section "Functions for Extracting
       from Lists".

There are similar functions for accessing the 1st through the 9th
elements of lists, and they are documented similarly.

Chris

das@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (David Smallberg) (01/17/90)

In article <1990Jan16.104013.15688@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> migod@csri.toronto.edu (Mike Godfrey) writes:
>In article <30874@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> I write:
>>Not literally an inconsistency, since "first" and "second" are etymologically
>>unrelated to "one" and "two".  "Third" and "three" are related, of course, so
>>one hopes that Dijkstra's lists are very short.
>
>This same point is made by E.C.R. Hehner (member of this department) in his
>book "The Logic of Programming", and he goes on to suggest that we create the
>word "halfth" to go in between "second" and "third" so that "three" and
>"third" will match up (p81-82).

I don't expect any proposed change to ever be adopted.  Informally, though,
people invent shorthands.  When I teach C, for example, when I get tired
of talking about "element 0 of <some array>", "element 1 ...", I'll say
"the zeroth element", "oneth", "twoth", "threeth".  It gets a few smiles the
first time, but students accept it and know what you're talking about.  In
an example where you've already talked about the zeroth, oneth, twoth, and
threeth elements, you can even say "fourth" and have the students understand
it as "element 4" (i.e. the fifth element).  I try not to overdo it.

I'd never do this in writing, since I hate it when an author foists a personal
language-reform crusade on a reader.  In a lecture, though, it comes across as
a spontaneous useful invention.

-- David Smallberg, das@cs.ucla.edu, ...!{uunet,ucbvax,rutgers}!cs.ucla.edu!das

valentin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Valentin Pepelea) (01/17/90)

In article <1990Jan16.104013.15688@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu>
migod@csri.toronto.edu (Mike Godfrey) writes:
>In article <30874@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> das@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (David Smallberg)
>writes:
>> Not literally an inconsistency, since "first" and "second" are etymologically
>> unrelated to "one" and "two".  "Third" and "three" are related, of course, so
>> one hopes that Dijkstra's lists are very short.
>
> [blah, blah]
>
> However, there is also a problem when you consider other languages.  The
> French for "two" and "second" are "deux" and "deuxieme" respectively -- they
> *are* related.  The same is also true in German (and, I would imagine, Dutch).
> Do we now rewrite the French/English dictionaries?  If so, how?  We need a
> new word in French, but we must place it between "first" and "second", unlike
> English.  More and more confusing.

Actually, "second" also means "deuxieme" in French. Obvisouly the term "second"
does have etymological roots derived from the number two, whether you call it
"two" or "deux" or whatever.

Valentin

des@elberton.inmos.co.uk (David Shepherd) (01/17/90)

In article <30874@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> das@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (David Smallberg) writes:
>Not literally an inconsistency, since "first" and "second" are etymologically
>unrelated to "one" and "two".  "Third" and "three" are related, of course, so
>one hopes that Dijkstra's lists are very short.

I seem to recall that they usually are,  as in:

  case 0: .... proof of case 0
  case 1: .... proof of case 1

  the other cases are left as an exercise to the reader

:-)

das@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (David Smallberg) (01/18/90)

In article <9360@cbmvax.commodore.com> valentin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Valentin Pepelea) writes:
>>In article <30874@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> das@cs.ucla.edu (David Smallberg) writes:
>>> ... "first" and "second" are etymologically unrelated to "one" and "two".
>
>Actually, "second" also means "deuxieme" in French. Obviously the term "second"
>does have etymological roots derived from the number two, whether you call it
>"two" or "deux" or whatever.
>
>Valentin

Nope.  "first" comes from a Germanic word meaning "prince" or "foremost";
"second" from a Latin word meaning "following" (cf. "sequence").

-- David Smallberg, das@cs.ucla.edu, ...!{uunet,ucbvax,rutgers}!cs.ucla.edu!das

jgk@osc.COM (Joe Keane) (01/18/90)

In article <1990Jan16.104013.15688@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> migod@csri.toronto.edu (Mike Godfrey) writes:
>However, there is also a problem when you consider other languages.  The
>French for "two" and "second" are "deux" and "deuxieme" respectively -- they
>*are* related.  The same is also true in German (and, I would imagine, Dutch).
>Do we now rewrite the French/English dictionaries?  If so, how?  We need a
>new word in French, but we must place it between "first" and "second", unlike
>English.  More and more confusing.

We already have the word: `second[e]'.  It basically means: of two things, the
one besides the first.  Fortunately for us it's etymologically unrelated to
`deux', so we have the following correspondence:

zero   premier    the best, the ultimate, etc.
un     second	  the runner up, next to best, etc.
deux   deuxieme   two away from the best
trois  troisieme  three away from the best
et cetera...

Easier than English, huh?