[net.micro] Two inquiries : Object file transfer, and Cross "C" development.

brb@philabs.UUCP (Brian Bertan) (12/07/85)

I wish to transfer object files from an IBM-PC to a VAX.  I will discuss the
motivation shortly, but first a question:

  How can I reliably transfer MS-DOS object files to a VAX?

I have attempted the transfer through KERMIT Ver2.28.  The file transfer was
successful, but when I transferred the object file back to the PC, I found
a comparison between the original and the transferred files failed.  The
files were of different length.  Also, the object file with the round trip
to the VAX would not link ( the original linked without error ).  This leads
me to believe that object file transfer under Kermit is not very reliable.

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions?

Motivation:

I plan to send the file from the VAX to an Intel Series III MDS running ISIS.
The object code is generated by the Mark Williams C compiler.  Mark Williams
has to object formats: proprietary, and MS-DOS.  The MS-DOS should be com-
patible with the ISIS format (IS THIS CORRECT?).  The application involves
no system calls, and no libraries are needed.  The target processor is an
8086.  We have software which transfers from PC to VAX, and VAX to ISIS, but
no PC to ISIS.  Hence the transfer roundabout method is neccessary.

I know this seems to be an unusual method of development, but my only
alternative is to run PLM/86, which does not support 32 bit signed arith-
metic.  Disscussions with Intel and Mark Williams technical staff led me to
believe this scheme would work.  The Intel C compiler (which is written by
Mark Williams) is very expensive.  We already have the MS-DOS compiler in
house, with an updated version on the way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

                                                  Brian Bertan
						  Philips Labs
						  Briarcliff Manor, NY
{allegra | decvax | seismo}!philabs!brb           (914) 945-6309

rde@ukc.UUCP (R.D.Eager) (12/09/85)

*** FOOD FOR LINE EATER ***

You don't say which version of Kermit you are running on the VAX, but if
it is the C-Kermit you need to do:

     C-Kermit>SET FILE TYPE BINARY

or some such before the transfer. I guess there will be an equivalent on
any  other VAX Kermit (so long as it supports binary file transfer, that
is).

The change in length could be due to the fact that you have EOF mode set
to  CTRL-Z in the MS-Kermit. This would cause an occurrence of hex 1A in
the file to terminate the transfer (I think....).  On  the  other  hand,
setting binary mode may be enough.

Hope this helps.
--
           Bob Eager

           rde@ukc.UUCP
           rde@ukc
           ...!mcvax!ukc!rde

           Phone: +44 227 66822 ext 7589

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (12/10/85)

In article <530@philabs.UUCP> brb@philabs.UUCP (Brian Bertan) writes:

>I wish to transfer object files from an IBM-PC to a VAX.  I will discuss the
>motivation shortly, but first a question:
>
>  How can I reliably transfer MS-DOS object files to a VAX?
>
>I have attempted the transfer through KERMIT Ver2.28.  The file transfer was
>successful, but when I transferred the object file back to the PC, I found
>a comparison between the original and the transferred files failed.  The
>files were of different length.

You might check that the Kermit was using "binary" file transfer with a
"set file type binary".

Although Kermit will reliably transfer files, you will find that the YMODEM
protocol supported by the rb and sb programs recently posted to the net is
much more efficient.

--
  Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX   ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf   CIS:70715,131
Omen Technology Inc     17505-V NW Sauvie Island Road Portland OR 97231