[alt.config] On what basis are alt.* groups created?

webber@brandx.rutgers.edu.UUCP (09/08/87)

In article <4314@ncoast.UUCP>, allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) writes:

Naturally there is no need for a moderated sf group (or to be more
precise, yet another moderated sf group -- recall we already have
otherrealms and the digest version of sf-lovers).

However, it is not clear to me that it does (or should) matter whether
or not there is a ``need'' for such a group in order for it to be
created in the alt.* groups.

Can any one shead any light on the question of what constitutes
``valid creation of an alt.* group?''

----- BOB (webber@aramis.rutgers.edu ; rutgers!aramis.rutgers.edu!webber)

gam@amdahl.UUCP (09/08/87)

In article <349@brandx.rutgers.edu> webber@brandx.rutgers.edu (Webber) writes:
>However, it is not clear to me that it does (or should) matter whether
>or not there is a ``need'' for such a group in order for it to be
>created in the alt.* groups.
>
>Can any one shead any light on the question of what constitutes
>``valid creation of an alt.* group?''

Oh, let us not back ourselves into the corner that the other network
did about how to creat newsgroups.

I think it should remain simple: a new newsgroup is created by Good
Judgement as to what is needed.  I analogize creating newsgroups to
creating directories: if they get used, great, if they don't they don't
take up much space anyway.  What's wrong with that?

Most importantly, the alt.* newsgroups have no controlling "backbone"
and never should have such a thing.  The backbone of the other
network has become corrupt by seeking to control how the network is
run.  Let that not happen here.
--
Gordon A. Moffett                             gam@amdahl.amdahl.com

 ~ dit-dit-dit daaaaaaaah ~
 ~    dit-dit-dit daaaaaaaah .... ~

> Naturally there is no need for a moderated sf group (or to be more
> precise, yet another moderated sf group -- recall we already have
> otherrealms and the digest version of sf-lovers).

Unfortunately, neither is quite what is being asked for.  Otherrealms is
a magazine, whose editor presumably (I don't usually read it) defines its
purpose and topics rather more narrowly than a conventional moderated group.
As for the sf-l digest, digestification is precisely what most Usenet people
*don't* want, because we have better solutions to the problems that digests
were invented to solve.  And most of Usenet doesn't have the digestified
sf-lovers, by the way, last I looked.  What is wanted is moderation, without
major restriction of topic and without unnecessarily mulching individual
contributions together into a digest.

What isn't clear to me is why the issue belongs in alt.  Apart from the
screams that will result from certain factions of the community, moderating
the existing sf-lovers group sounds like a fine idea to me.  Then maybe I
could start reading it again.  Note that I am *not* volunteering to moderate
it!

				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
"There's a lot more to do in space   |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
than sending people to Mars." --Bova | {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!henry