[alt.config] At last: alt.flame

gam@amdahl.UUCP (09/15/87)

I've always enjoyed the old net.flame and also felt it
served a valuable purpose both as a catharsis and also
to see what's on people's minds.  And the ``flame'' part
means that it's a free-for-all, however you choose to
express yourself.

I'll be generating a few flames myself in the near future.
--
Gordon A. Moffett                             gam@amdahl.amdahl.com

 ~ Let us break these bonds assunder! ~
 ~ Let us cast these yokes away from us! ~

davidsen@steinmetz.UUCP (09/15/87)

In article <14297@amdahl.amdahl.com> gam@amdahl.amdahl.com (Gordon A. Moffett) writes:
|I've always enjoyed the old net.flame and also felt it
|served a valuable purpose both as a catharsis and also
Next we'll have alt.bizarre. Why have two groups for people to "express
themselves freely?" This is not a flame, an honest question.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

billw@killer.UUCP (09/17/87)

<7366@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP>, William E. Davidsen Jr:

>> I've always enjoyed the old net.flame and also felt it
>> served a valuable purpose both as a catharsis and also ...

> Next we'll have alt.bizarre. Why have two groups for people to "express
> themselves freely?" This is not a flame, an honest question.

Firstly, there is already a talk.bizarre. Duplication is not really necessary.

Also, "express themselves freely" is a very broad phrase. One can express
oneself freely via bizarre activity; this goes in talk.bizarre. For others,
free expression might entail a more angry posting. Guess where THOSE go?
--
Bill Wisner				..ihnp4!killer!billw

"An it harms none, do what thou will."
Everything in this message may be wrong.

gam@amdahl.UUCP (09/17/87)

In article <7366@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <14297@amdahl.amdahl.com> gam@amdahl.amdahl.com (Gordon A. Moffett) writes:
>|I've always enjoyed the old net.flame and also felt it
>|served a valuable purpose both as a catharsis and also
>Next we'll have alt.bizarre. Why have two groups for people to "express
>themselves freely?" This is not a flame, an honest question.

net.flame had a lot of history behind it and was ruefully missed
when The Authorities removed it.  I honestly claim that it serves
a useful purpose in network communications, for example by presenting
hot (truly hot!) issues that the People which to rail about.
See how the Pope's visit to SF is being received, for example.

I have no interest in creating an alt.bizarre and I hope we
never see such a thing.  If someone wants to create it I hope
they can convince me that it is worth carrying, as I might
not want to.  But likewise, sites that don't want to carry
alt.flame don't have to, either.
--
Gordon A. Moffett                             gam@amdahl.amdahl.com

 ~ Let us break these bonds assunder! ~
 ~ Let us cast these yokes away from us! ~

> net.flame had a lot of history behind it and was ruefully missed
> when The Authorities removed it.  I honestly claim that it serves
> a useful purpose in network communications, for example by presenting
> hot (truly hot!) issues that the People which to rail about.

I would claim that it would be just as useful as a local group, never
transmitted over pay-per-minute long-haul links.  The alt newsgroups
are looking less like an alternative and more like the Same Old Shit
every day.  I've already started unsubscribing.
--
"There's a lot more to do in space   |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
than sending people to Mars." --Bova | {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!henry