[alt.config] Connectivity of alt.cyberpunk

webber@aramis.rutgers.edu.UUCP (09/21/87)

In article <2991@hoptoad.uucp>, gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
> billw@killer.UUCP (Bill Wisner) wrote:
> > Could *I* persuade you to call it "alt.sf.cyberpunk"?
> I'd like some clarification about whether this newsgroup is for
> cyberpunk in general, or about science fiction referring to cyberpunk,
> or what?  I assumed that in proposing the group, Bob wanted to have
> discussions among the cyberpunks on the net...

Ah timewarps.  I assume that this became clear in my reply to Bill
Wisner, but just to be sure, the answer is: yes I mean cyberpunk in
general and not just the cyberpunk movement within science fiction.
For example, I recently picked up a copy of Stewart Brand's ``The
Media Lab'' (Viking Press, 1987, ISBN 0-670-81442-3) and would think
it would be just as much a magnet for people drawn by the word
``cyberpunk'' as would be such works as those of William Gibson.  But
ultimately, it will depend on the interests of the people who show up
as to what gets discussed -- just like any other newsgroup.

> I'd also like to remind everyone that the altnet is free because it is
> useful; people carry it because they like it.  If it degenerates into
> too much rubbish like other parts of the net, people will stop paying
> to ship those parts around.  Though hoptoad is on the "altnet backbone"
> we don't guarantee to carry all the alt groups; like everybody else, we
> get to pick what we want to carry.  This in no way reflects on
> alt.cyberpunk -- I would carry it; I think it would be fun to read --
> but is to forestall people from thinking that alt groups are an
> unlimited resource awaiting exploitation.

Hmmm.  I am a bit puzzled by your phrasing here.  Is there a reason
for saying ``I would carry it'' rather than ``I am carrying it?''  Not
that I wish to put you on the spot, it is just that I am interested in
the connectivity of that portion of the net that carries alt.cyberpunk .
Note: since you claim to be part of the altnet backbone (not that I have
ever seen a definition or listing of such a group), I would assume
that whether or not you (and whoever else is on said backbone) carry the
group will have alot to do with its general availability.

For that matter, if sites carrying alt.cyberpunk will send me a mail
message, I will post a summary here and perhaps we can start investigating
connectivity issues.  Perhaps it will soon be worthwhile announcing its
presence on various other groups where such discussion has appeared in
the past.

--------- BOB (webber@aramis.rutgers.edu ; rutgers!aramis.rutgers.edu!webber)