[alt.config] Creation of alt.cyberpunk

webber@brandx.rutgers.edu.UUCP (09/17/87)

In article <48@bacchus.DEC.COM>, reid@decwrl.dec.com (Brian Reid) writes:
< The alt subnet was created by John Gilmore and Brian Reid, with lots of
< input from various San Francisco Bay-area people, notably Gordon Moffett.
< ...
< John and Gordon and I are freedom-loving people. We believe in netnews as a
< new kind of communication, and we enjoy the unregulated free speech that it
< provides. We want you to have that freedom too, and we believe in it strongly
< enough that we are not going to try to regulate your use of that freedom.
<
< Although I haven't consulted any of the other "founders" of the alt network
< on this issue, I am fairly confident that I speak for all of them when I say
< that the policy for newsgroup creation on the alt network is that there is no
< policy. Certainly there is no "alt backbone cabal" that votes on new
< newsgroups. The whole point of the alt subnet is that alt groups go only to
< people who want them, and don't go to people who don't want them.
<
< Even Bob Webber is welcome to create an alt group. From what I've seen of his
< postings I don't think I'll want to get that group at my site, and I
< certainly won't read it. But that's my privilege.

Fine.  I hearby create:

                 alt.CyberPunk

--------- BOB (webber@aramis.rutgers.edu ; rutgers!aramis.rutgers.edu!webber)

p.s., Please feel free to go ahead and start the conversation without
me.  I will have to wait until my local news administrator decides
that this is a valid control message on the alt network before the
group is available for me to post to.

reid@decwrl.UUCP (09/17/87)

In article <368@brandx.rutgers.edu> webber@brandx.rutgers.edu (Webber) writes:
>Fine.  I hearby create:
>                 alt.CyberPunk
>--------- BOB (webber@aramis.rutgers.edu ; rutgers!aramis.rutgers.edu!webber)
>p.s., Please feel free to go ahead and start the conversation without
>me.  I will have to wait until my local news administrator decides
>that this is a valid control message on the alt network before the
>group is available for me to post to.

Bob,
   Could I persuade you to call it "alt.cyberpunk" or "alt.cyber-punk".
The uppercase letters are going to cause real problems in certain
backwater corners of the network software.
			Brian

billw@killer.UUCP (09/18/87)

>>Fine.  I hearby create: alt.CyberPunk

>   Could I persuade you to call it "alt.cyberpunk" or "alt.cyber-punk".
>The uppercase letters are going to cause real problems in certain
>backwater corners of the network software.

Could *I* persuade you to call it "alt.sf.cyberpunk"? Putting the sf in
will allow for better altnet organization later. Besides, you will then
be able to claim the honor of creating the first alt group with a three
level name.
--
Bill Wisner				..ihnp4!killer!billw

"An it harms none, do what thou will."
Everything in this message may be wrong.

webber@brandx.rutgers.edu.UUCP (09/18/87)

In article <51@bacchus.DEC.COM>, reid@decwrl.dec.com (Brian Reid) writes:
> In article <368@brandx.rutgers.edu> webber@brandx.rutgers.edu (Webber) writes:
> >Fine.  I hearby create:
> >                 alt.CyberPunk
> >--------- BOB (webber@aramis.rutgers.edu ; rutgers!aramis.rutgers.edu!webber)
> >p.s., Please feel free to go ahead and start the conversation without
> >me.  I will have to wait until my local news administrator decides
> >that this is a valid control message on the alt network before the
> >group is available for me to post to.
>
> Bob,
>    Could I persuade you to call it "alt.cyberpunk" or "alt.cyber-punk".
> The uppercase letters are going to cause real problems in certain
> backwater corners of the network software.

Fine.
          I hearby delete:
                          alt.CyberPunk
          and create:
                          alt.cyberpunk

Gee, that was easy.  Who was it that said deleting news groups was
difficult?  I bet within a day there won't be an alt.CyberPunk message
left on the net.

--------------------- BOB (webber@aramis.rutgers.edu)

p.s., Thanks for the help.  [My theory is that somewhere someone is
converting everything to the same case for portability reasons -- was
I close?  I got burned by this in LaTeX recently when loading a .bib
file.  You would think that people working on part of the TeX system
would understand the wish to use full ASCII.]

p.p.s., No, I don't want to hear about the systems on the net that
don't/can't handle names over 8 characters long -- really, I just
don't want to know -- let me live in blissful ignorance - PLEASEEEEE.

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (09/19/87)

billw@killer.UUCP (Bill Wisner) wrote:
> Could *I* persuade you to call it "alt.sf.cyberpunk"?

I'd like some clarification about whether this newsgroup is for
cyberpunk in general, or about science fiction referring to cyberpunk,
or what?  I assumed that in proposing the group, Bob wanted to have
discussions among the cyberpunks on the net...

I'd also like to remind everyone that the altnet is free because it is
useful; people carry it because they like it.  If it degenerates into
too much rubbish like other parts of the net, people will stop paying
to ship those parts around.  Though hoptoad is on the "altnet backbone"
we don't guarantee to carry all the alt groups; like everybody else, we
get to pick what we want to carry.  This in no way reflects on
alt.cyberpunk -- I would carry it; I think it would be fun to read --
but is to forestall people from thinking that alt groups are an
unlimited resource awaiting exploitation.

	John

PS:  I second Brian Reid's call to strain your vocabulary when looking
for alt newsgroup names, e.g. one pithy word is worth a thousand strung
together with dots or dashes.  Alt.cyberpunk is a good one.
--
{dasys1,ncoast,well,sun,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu	     gnu@postgres.berkeley.edu

webber@aramis.rutgers.edu.UUCP (09/19/87)

In article <1553@killer.UUCP>, billw@killer.UUCP (Bill Wisner) writes:
> >>Fine.  I hearby create: alt.CyberPunk
> >   Could I persuade you to call it "alt.cyberpunk" or "alt.cyber-punk".
> >The uppercase letters are going to cause real problems in certain
> >backwater corners of the network software.
> Could *I* persuade you to call it "alt.sf.cyberpunk"? Putting the sf in
> will allow for better altnet organization later. Besides, you will then
> be able to claim the honor of creating the first alt group with a three
> level name.

If cyberpunk were only a style of science fiction, I would agree.  However,
I see that as too limiting.  Cyberpunk is actually a vision of how people
and computers interact.  Should discussion in alt.cyberpunk warrant it,
I would be happy to announce subgroups:
              alt.cyberpunk.mirrorshades
              alt.cyberpunk.symbiosis
              alt.cyberpunk.hardware
              alt.cyberpunk.software
              alt.cyberpunk.wetware
              alt.cyberpunk.video
              alt.cyberpunk.rec
              alt.cyberpunk.security
              alt.cyberpunk.refs
              alt.cyberpunk.announce
But at least for the next few months, alt.cyberpunk should be sufficient.
Indeed, even after the subgroups become necessary, it will still be useful
to have a place for discussions that would otherwise be crossposted
heavily as well as being a sensible place for alt.cyberpunk.misc
postings to go.

Does this make sense to you or do you think there is something I have
still overlooked?  Incidently, if the current sf-lovers breakup being
discussed in the rec.* groups were to actually fall through over there
and transfer over to alt.*, I don't forsee any major problems.  If
crossposting becomes annoying in either, say alt.cyberpunk or alt.sf.books,
it would just hasten the creation of alt.cyberpunk.mirrorshades.

--- BOB (webber@aramis.rutgers.edu ; rutgers!aramis.rutgers.edu!webber)

billw@killer.UUCP (09/19/87)

I don't think I said anything even remotely resembling
"comp.sys.ibm.pc.digest"..
--

billw@killer.UUCP (09/20/87)

> If cyberpunk were only a style of science fiction, I would agree.  However,
> I see that as too limiting.  Cyberpunk is actually a vision of how people
> and computers interact.

I hadn't considered this point, and a good one it is.

> Does this make sense to you or do you think there is something I have
> still overlooked?

Perfectly clear. All objections (such as they were) are gone.
--

rich@oxtrap.UUCP (09/22/87)

In article <1593@aramis.rutgers.edu> webber@aramis.rutgers.edu (Bob Webber) writes:
>I would be happy to announce subgroups:
>              alt.cyberpunk.mirrorshades
>              alt.cyberpunk.symbiosis
>              alt.cyberpunk.hardware
>              alt.cyberpunk.software
>              alt.cyberpunk.wetware
>              alt.cyberpunk.video
>              alt.cyberpunk.rec
>              alt.cyberpunk.security
>              alt.cyberpunk.refs
>              alt.cyberpunk.announce

Let us not forget alt.cyberpunk.biosoft.

xoxorich.

F'ing line counter... Grrrr.

webber@brandx.rutgers.edu.UUCP (09/23/87)

In article <1010@oxtrap.UUCP>, rich@oxtrap.UUCP (K. Richard Magill) writes:
> In article <1593@aramis.rutgers.edu> webber@aramis.rutgers.edu (Bob Webber) writes:
< <I would be happy to announce subgroups:
< <              alt.cyberpunk.mirrorshades
< <              alt.cyberpunk.symbiosis
< <              alt.cyberpunk.hardware
< <              alt.cyberpunk.software
< <              alt.cyberpunk.wetware
< <              alt.cyberpunk.video
< <              alt.cyberpunk.rec
< <              alt.cyberpunk.security
< <              alt.cyberpunk.refs
< <              alt.cyberpunk.announce
<
< Let us not forget alt.cyberpunk.biosoft.

By then I anticipate alt.cyberpunk.wetware.sources .  But let us
continue this on alt.cyberpunk (NOW, ON A COMPUTER NEAR YOU).

< F'ing line counter... Grrrr.

I find changing the > to < is better than cursing the dark ways of
news software.

------- BOB (webber@aramis.rutgers.edu ; rutgers!aramis.rutgers.edu!webber)