[alt.config] Request: alt.sysops & alt.bbstalk

robertd@ncoast.UUCP (09/17/87)

    I am proposing that a news group
called "alt.sysops" and "alt.bbstalk"
be created to talk about bbs software, ideas, etc. I would appreciate input.

    I relize this is a smaller alt.ernative audiance, but I think as this
grows and even now, bbs talk is important and can be interesting.

		[> Rd

(PS: I will either have .sysops and .bbstalk put on alt. OR talk. Not both - I
want to know if the alt news groups are interested. If they are, I sugest these
unmoderated news groups be set up.)

--
North Coast Computer Resources(ncoast) - 216-781-6201 (or 781-6202)

UUCP:decvax!mandrill!ncoast!robertd

Sysop: NEODG (login "sbbs")

rsweeney@dasys1.UUCP (09/22/87)

In article <4533@ncoast.UUCP> robertd@ncoast.UUCP (Rob DeMarco) writes:

>    I am proposing that a news group
>called "alt.sysops" and "alt.bbstalk"
>be set up

I believe I referenced this topic when the issue of the 'talk' groups
of the same names was raised recently, but here I go again: as
administrator of the 'mail.sysops' network mailing list, I believe
that the need for a newsgroup doesn't yet exist.  'mail.sysops' currently
has 47 subscribers, and processes approx. 1-2 messages per MONTH.  Perhaps
the list needs new blood; I don't know, but it seems to me that there
just aren't all that many people on the USENET interested in BBS operations.

'mail.sysops' is small, and I think that our mail system could handle a lot
more subscribers before it begins to founder.  I suggest that people interested
in BBS topics subscribe to the list.  In the future, if traffic warrants it,
perhaps a newsgroup should be created.

(although if the altnet decides to create the groups anyway, I'll do something
like set up a gateway between the list and the newsgroups for list
subscribers without altnet access.)

/RS

--
Robert Sweeney              {sun!hoptoad,cmcl2!phri}!dasys1!rsweeney
Big Electric Cat Public Access Unix (212) 879-9031 - System Operator

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (09/23/87)

As quoted from <1354@dasys1.UUCP> by rsweeney@dasys1.UUCP (Robert Sweeney):
+---------------
| In article <4533@ncoast.UUCP> robertd@ncoast.UUCP (Rob DeMarco) writes:
| >
| >    I am proposing that a news group
| >called "alt.sysops" and "alt.bbstalk"
| >be set up
|
| I believe I referenced this topic when the issue of the 'talk' groups
| of the same names was raised recently, but here I go again: as
| administrator of the 'mail.sysops' network mailing list, I believe
| that the need for a newsgroup doesn't yet exist.  'mail.sysops' currently
| has 47 subscribers, and processes approx. 1-2 messages per MONTH.  Perhaps
| the list needs new blood; I don't know, but it seems to me that there
| just aren't all that many people on the USENET interested in BBS operations.
the addresses were valid (most outgoing ones are shot, I'm building a new list
from scratch now).

I suspect that the majority of Usenetters interested in the BBS world get
their "fixes" from their local Fido nodes.  I know I do.  Maybe when Fido
and Usenet are fully gatewayed, there will be sufficient interest for a
newsgroup.  (A bidirectional comp.org.fidonet?)
--
	    Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc
  {{harvard,mit-eddie}!necntc,well!hoptoad,sun!mandrill!hal}!ncoast!allbery

rab@well.UUCP (09/23/87)

Here's my vote in favor of both suggested new alt. groups!

--
  Robert Bickford                 {hplabs, ucbvax, lll-lcc, ptsfa}!well!rab
/-------------------------------------v-------------------------------------\

davidsen@steinmetz.UUCP (09/23/87)

In article <4533@ncoast.UUCP> robertd@ncoast.UUCP (Rob DeMarco) writes:

|    I am proposing that a news group
|called "alt.sysops" and "alt.bbstalk"
|be created to talk about bbs software, ideas, etc. I would appreciate input.
[ Sounds like a good idea to me. I know there are a lot of sysops on the
  net, and this is a good way to share information. ]
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

guest@vu-vlsi.UUCP (10/04/87)

I think that these newsgroups are a good idea, so I submit a YEA vote.

              YEA          NAY

             ---/-        -----
             |\/ |        |   |
             -----        -----

| Mark Schaffer        | BITNET: 164485913@vuvaxcom                          |
| Villanova University | UUCP:   ...{ihnp4!psuvax1,burdvax,cbmvax,pyrnj,bpa} |
| (Go Wildcats!)       |           !vu-vlsi!excalibur!164485913              |

  please respond/reply to the above addresses and not to guest@vu-vlsi.UUCP

guardian@laidbak.UUCP (10/05/87)

I think that these newsgroups are a good idea, so I submit a YEA vote.

              YEA          NAY

Harry Skelton             :   .-.   : --- other mail drops ---
guardian@laidbak.UUCP     :   `-'o  : ihnp4!laidbak!ugh!bear
ihnp4!laidbak!guardian    :    O    : ihnp4!chinet!guardian
	    As in the words of Socrates "I drank wha*......."