[alt.config] Kent 4 Prez

rissa@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Patricia O Tuama) (05/09/88)

In article <4491@hoptoad.uucp> gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
>richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) wrote:
>> Now nobody has the right to say "you cant do say that", but we would
>> politely request that the newsgroup:
>> 	alt.birthright
>> Any objections ?
>
>Yes, I object.  Alt is not a trashcan.  If you don't like talk.bizarre,
>just stop carrying it until (if & when) the bozos let it go.  Or complain
>to the management of the bozos' sites.  Or talk to the sites that connect
>to the bozos, and get them to stop feeding them.  ("Do not feed the bozos").

Oh, we like talk.bizarre just fine.  Our problem is that K*nt P. Dolan
seems to have arbitrarily decided that t.b is the most relevant place
for his presidential campaign, much to the dismay of many t.b readers.
Our feeling is that he and his followers should be free to discuss
presidential politics as much as they wish without the interference of
regular talk.bizarre conversation.

I agree that alt. is not a trashcan.  But the fact that it does seem
to be home to a number of other more personal, relevant and timely
subjects (such as alt.sex or alt.sca) leads us to believe that it is
the most appropriate place for the birthright party newgroup.

					         .
					Patricia O Tuama

karl@saqqara.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (05/11/88)

rissa@bu-cs.BU.EDU writes:
   Oh, we like talk.bizarre just fine.  Our problem is that K*nt P. Dolan
   seems to have arbitrarily decided that t.b is the most relevant place
   for his presidential campaign, much to the dismay of many t.b readers.

One could of course argue that this is suitable revenge being brought
down on the t.b population for the abuse of a large fraction of the
other 400-or-so worldwide newsgroups caused by that population due to
inappropriate crossposting.

But personally, I don't give a hoot whether alt.birthright comes into
existence or not.  It looks like we're going to get a dandy little
newgroup/rmgroup ctrl msg war; on one of the systems I administer,
loquat.cis.ohio-state.edu, alt.birthright came into existence and then
had its removal requested within the span of 10 minutes.

--Karl

greg@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Gregory Nowak) (05/12/88)

In article <12984@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> karl@saqqara.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) writes:
>rissa@bu-cs.BU.EDU writes:
>   Oh, we like talk.bizarre just fine.  Our problem is that K*nt P. Dolan
>   seems to have arbitrarily decided that t.b is the most relevant place
>   for his presidential campaign, much to the dismay of many t.b readers.
>
>One could of course argue that this is suitable revenge being brought
>down on the t.b population for the abuse of a large fraction of the
>other 400-or-so worldwide newsgroups caused by that population due to
>inappropriate crossposting.

You're unaware of the details, Karl. Regular readers of talk.bizarre
almost NEVER crosspost "out of" talk.bizarre; the biggest problem is
with people who have a bad experience getting their tires rotated,
write a 100-line article to rec.autos, and then think, "Duh, that was
bizarre," and crosspost it to talk.bizarre -- never even having read
the group. Then all the rec.autos people who want to talk about having
their tires rotated follow up the article with completely non-bizarre
messages, fail to edit the newsgroups line, and send dozens of
messages to talk.bizarre. The talk.bizarre population has grown weary
of this, and has tried both gentle and not-so-gentle methods of
warning offending populations about this. Ask any regular reader of
rec.arts.startrek. If you check the new netstats on percentages
of articles crossposted, you'll find that talk.bizarre place high at
all. I think it didn't even make the top 40. So, first of all,
crossposting isn't a major problem with talk.bizarre, and secondly,
the problem that does exist there is crossposts "into" the group
rather than "out of" it.

--

gatech!phoenix!greg	Gregory A Nowak/Phoenix Gang/Princeton NJ 08544
    "Take 2*3*5*7*11*13.  It's divisible by 59." --Matt Crawford

Kleinpaste from ohio sez:

>One could of course argue that this is suitable revenge being brought
>down on the t.b population for the abuse of a large fraction of the
>other 400-or-so worldwide newsgroups caused by that population due to
>inappropriate crossposting.

This brough to you from the engage mouth, start brain school of
posting.

The crossposting nightmares in talk.bizarre are caused by, moistly
first year college kiddies that think something is just so
wucking funderfull that they must share it with all of t.b, and
dont have the synaptic fortitude to investigate the radical
concept, known apparantly only to a few: "Followup-to".

--
               noalias went. it really wasn't negotiable
richard@gryphon.CTS.COM                          rutgers!marque!gryphon!richard

klortho@inco.UUCP (Klortho the Exalted) (05/13/88)

In article <12984@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> karl@saqqara.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) writes:
>rissa@bu-cs.BU.EDU writes:
>   Oh, we like talk.bizarre just fine.  Our problem is that K*nt P. Dolan
>   seems to have arbitrarily decided that t.b is the most relevant place
>   for his presidential campaign, much to the dismay of many t.b readers.
>
>One could of course argue that this is suitable revenge being brought
>down on the t.b population for the abuse of a large fraction of the
>other 400-or-so worldwide newsgroups caused by that population due to
>inappropriate crossposting.

I hardly think that t.b is the only source of cross-posting abuse, and
I might add that it's a two-way street (since my cliche generator is
back from the shop.) In fact, t.b is generally rather cliquish; the
regulars (with the exception of KPD and handful of others) rarely
cross-post. Of course, they also rarely edit the newsgroups line...

>But personally, I don't give a hoot whether alt.birthright comes into
>existence or not.  It looks like we're going to get a dandy little
>newgroup/rmgroup ctrl msg war;

Well, someone else will have to conduct the pro side of the conflict.
I created alt.birthright because it was requested by several people
who presented a reasonable (by my lights) rationale for its existence.
This is a hell of a lot more than can be said for alt.rock-n-roll.

STella and others have said that the alt net isn't a trashcan. They
are correct. It's a ghetto. This is where the groups that the "real"
net won't tolerate end up.

alt.birthright has been created. Individual sysadmins can decide whether
or not they want it. I personally don't give a damn who carries it.
If there are any actual newsgroup creation guidelines for the alt net,
I'd be interested in hearing about them. Especially if they're more
meaningful than the ones on the "real" net.

And my very special thanks to Brian Reid, for attempting to save us
all from the annoyance of having to do our own thinking. Do you suppose
there's actually anyone out there who built their news software without
defining MANUALLY?

Dave Mack
mack@inco.UUCP
aka klortho@inco.UUCP