[alt.config] alt.sources / linking to existing articles

mesard@bbn.com (Wayne Mesard) (11/20/89)

tale@pawl.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) writes:
>So, who's going to venture forth with the montly posting for
>alt.sources/alt.sources.d?

As one of this scheme's many proposers, I have one thing to say:

                        It won't work.

People unthinkingly reply to source articles.  People wander in and
out of groups (especially when they're looking for something).  People
just plain forget.

It's too bad the News software doesn't let you cross-post an article
after the fact.  (That way, a "moderator" of alt.sources.only could send
out "linkto" messages to cross-post alt.sources articles once s/he
decided they were really sources.)[*]

Failing that, if you folks are really that keen on have a sources only
alt group, what about that plan [I] proposed a while ago wherein someone
regularly posts message-ids of non-source articles, and code runs
locally to zap them out of your .newsrc file (and/or spool directory)?

[*] This could have other uses, too, for example a whole thread could be
moved to another group if someone decides that readers there would be
interested in it, as well.  And there are other digests groups (which is
what the long-contemplated a.s.o is) which could benefit from this
mechanism w/out increasing net.traffic significantly.

--
void *Wayne_Mesard();         Mesard@BBN.COM         BBN, Cambridge, MA

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) (11/21/89)

In article <48495@bbn.COM> mesard@BBN.COM (Wayne Mesard) writes:
>>So, who's going to venture forth with the montly posting for
>>alt.sources/alt.sources.d?
>
>As one of this scheme's many proposers, I have one thing to say:
>
>                        It won't work.
>
>People unthinkingly reply to source articles.  People wander in and
>out of groups (especially when they're looking for something).  People
>just plain forget. ...

It doesn't have to work 100%.  The idea is to reduce misposting.
Any significant contribution helps.

Moreover any number of potential posters (source and discussion) who
don't quite understand which group is for what, or what this crazy net
is all about, are too timid to actually mispost and make us notice them;
they just move on to the next thing.  They too would benefit from a
Welcome/Frequently Asked Questions posting.

I think adding these (on 30-day expire) to most "important" groups would
go down as the most useful net.development of the year.

>Failing that, if you folks are really that keen on have a sources only
>alt group, what about that plan [I] proposed a while ago wherein someone
>regularly posts message-ids of non-source articles, and code runs
>locally to zap them out of your .newsrc file (and/or spool directory)?

The idea is not to suppress discussion, it is to cultivate it in the
proper place.

>[*] This could have other uses, too, for example a whole thread could be
>moved to another group if someone decides that readers there would be
>interested in it, as well.  And there are other digests groups (which is
>what the long-contemplated a.s.o is) which could benefit from this
>mechanism w/out increasing net.traffic significantly.

The two problems with moving threads are (1) or [a] it's nontrivial from the
news-database standpoint, if you want to keep logging and expire and
such happy, and {B} or -ii.- you play havoc with users' newsrc files.
Not to mention that anyone who DOESN'T perform the move in synchronized
fashion will continue to post to the old group.  Wotta mess.

That's why there's no substitute for education.  You never achieve
perfection, but you do good with each and every attempt.
--
"A man came into the the office one day and said he  \|/  Tom Neff
was a sailor.  We cured him of that." - Mark Twain,  -O-  tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET